Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

270 Win 150gr Interlocks pet loads?

Fullquiver

I have quite a few 150 gr Interlocks and quite a variety of powders to play with and was looking for a place to start.

I have H4831, Hybrid 100v, RL 22, IMR 4064. Looking for a bear load for my old reliable deer rifle..

H4831 for sure. Classic 270 Win. powder. About 58 grains is max with 150's. Years ago I loaded some 150 grain Hornady's with H4831 with good results. I'm now using RL26 but for years H4831 is all I used.

Norma MRP was the best combination accuracy/velocity that I found. RL26 would be my second choice. My

Third choice would be RL23, although I have only used it with 140gr Bullets, either Accubonds or Trophy Bonded Tipped. The

Big advantage is it is very temperature stable, it was also the most accurate powder with 140gr bullets.

My 270 loved IMR4831. Of the powders you mentioned I would start with H4831. Hodgdon recommends a starting load of 52.0 grains and a max load of 55.7 grains.

H4831 is great if you already have it but the three I mentioned all have there advantages. I,m using the RL23

with 140gr Trophy Bonded Tipped or Accubonds for deer. For Elk sometimes I use MRP as it is extremely accurate and

very fast. Also it is able to be used in many other calibers. Like my 338 win mag.

I have quite a few 150 gr Interlocks and quite a variety of powders to play with and was looking for a place to start.

I have H4831, Hybrid 100v, RL 22, IMR 4064. Looking for a bear load for my old reliable deer rifle..
I think of the powder's you mention, Hybrid 100v I've never heard of. RL-22 just might be a bit slow and 4064 I believe to fast burning. 4831 with that heavy bullet I'd think would work well if the rifle likes it. Even though I think RL22 might be a bit slow, I'd still try it and I'd try RL19 also. I learned that choosing the powder depended on the size of the case and the weight of the bullet. it's always worked for me and I see no reason to change. A large case and a heavy for cal bullet seems to do best with slower powders. I learned to look in the manual for the powder's that gave the best velocity with the bullet I was using and for whatever reason, it has always worked out well for me. So I get out my Hornady manual and to me it looks like most of the powders you mentioned would be fine. I'd check on RL22 for no other reason than even though it get's the best velocity, it takes more powder to do it. I check in the case to see where the powder come's up to. I think I've read that ideally the powder should fill up to , I think it was, 85% of the volume. Full I consider to the intersection of the neck and shoulder. With the 150gr bullet it might be a bit less than that. I say that because i don't care for any powder compression at all. if your compressing powder, the powder for me is to slow. I seat bullet's to the base of the neck and that 150gr bullet might be to long to do that with. I'd simply load out as far as I could and live with what's left. That 150gr bullet should be a good one in a 270! Something I found out with a 7mm mag years ago that I couldn't load the bullet out far enough, the lands stopped me. It was a Sako L69 and plenty long action so I loaded up a dummy with a 160gr Speer as long as I could and in that case loaded to the base of the neck. Fit in the magazine but not the chamber. Had a gun smith take out the lands and make that round fit just off the lands and it shot great to say the least! The only 270 I ever had I used the 140gr Hornady interloc in and it did load even with the base of the neck and still fit the magsazine. But it was a Harrington-Richardson built on a Sako L69 action. If you try this make sure the dummy will fit in the magazine first. Oh, and be ready to increase the powder a bit more also. I went from 67.0grs N205 to 69.0grs N205.

I'm also a one bullet guy. The only bullet's I shoot in any rifle are normally mid range to heavy for weight for that caliber. In my 308 I only shoot 165gr bullet's as a rule. If I really wanted 180gr bullet's I'd get a 30-06. In fact that is the bullet I shoot in 30-06. I think each cartridge has a certain weight bullet it will work best with and I used the 140gr in that 270 I had, got stolen before I ever hunter with it. I think the 150gr would be a really good choice and for all the success with the 130gr in 270, I think it's simply to light. To much velocity making the bullet come apart more!

Keep in mind that this is mostly my opinion and actually you should experiment on your own!

My 270 shoots great with 150gr partitions and H4831. I’m sure it will be good with the Interlocks too. I recently bought 5 lbs of Ramshot Hunter so l’m eager to see how it performs as well.

This is interesting and I’m watching! Just getting into reloading under the guidance of a mentor who did it for years when he competed. I do have Accurate 2700 if you’re interested to know how that powder preforms. They say “like 4831” like Toyota is like Ford I don’t know, we’ll see.

This is interesting and I’m watching! Just getting into reloading under the guidance of a mentor who did it for years when he competed. I do have Accurate 2700 if you’re interested to know how that powder preforms. They say “like 4831” like Toyota is like Ford I don’t know, we’ll see.

Ben, I have several very good loads for 130gr bullets just never shot 150's out of my rifle, (a Savage 110 that is exceptionally accurate.)

I just wanted something heavier for bear, I have several bear on trail cameras that will go over 400lbs and thought that heavier than my 130 gr deer loads would be wise. Shots will likely be close and in heavy cover over bait. I want an exit even on hard angles..

Out of what you listed the only powder I have used in my 270 was the 4064 and it seems to like it with 150's.

I am interested to see what works here. I don’t think I’ll ever have need for 150, but if something works just as well as 130, why not? I myself would probably go with 3” 12ga 1oz slugs. But those aren’t pretty like a fine tuned handload. Just a dumb hammer of lead over high brass.

In my 270 win if I,m using RL23 I get 3087 FPS with 140gr bullets. With 150gr Nosler Partitions and MRP I get 3084 FPS. Mostly I use the RL23 because it is temperature stable, MRP not so much, but very accurate. I have killed Elk with both.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back