27 bucks, 223 charges filed, 2 Sheriff's Deputies, one EMS chief, and friends...

marksjeep

Good lord. I thought I wouldn't read anything more disgusting than the expo auction thread this morning. There are multiple linked articles from the one below. How in the heck most of these charges are not felony counts is beyond me.

https://www.times-news.com/news/loc...cle_f44c4d70-8088-11ec-b514-f3e0fb8062b6.html

https://www.outdoorlife.com/conservation/eight-west-virginians-charged-223-poaching-violations/

Anyone convicted of poaching on this scale should never be able to legally hunt another day in their lives.

There was a link in the OL article to a story on the deputy here that got caught spotlighting from his patrol car...jeez Louise.

Agreed - crazy that the punishment is not much much greater.

This is a prime case for jail time upon conviction. Remember everyone is considered innocent until proven guilty. But if and when they are convicted, they should be fined, banned from hunting for life and sentenced to jail for the maximum allowed time. Wildlife laws have never been respected by many people from all walks of life LEO's included. It's time the courts make the violators learn to respect the laws! Sitting their butts in jail for a reasonable amount of time might just be the way to make people learn.

LOL , cops , border patrol, ICE agents, poach all the time , they have
24/7 access to 100% of the primo white tail, mulie, elk Coutry
and who is going to question authritys
I don't know if they do or how much but people put into positions to up hold the law
And then found guilty of breaking the laws they are suppose to be up holding should defiantly be given much harder punishments
Than a regular citizen. Sadly they end up with much lesser punishments and find work in the same positions of law enforcement in a different state. You can find many instances of police getting caught planting evidence and other crimes that end up with reduced punishments. Anyway they should hand out very harsh punishments for all involved

Anyone convicted of poaching on this scale should never be able to legally hunt another day in their lives.
Or own a firearm. Or own archery equipment. Or get a fishing license. Take their guns, their vehicles and throw their ass in jail. Then, when they get out, make them pay restitution. F-ing done with poachers. mtmuley

Unfortunately, most judges feel that poaching is a victimless crime and refuse to give a harsh prison sentence in many areas. I’d be surprised if WV gives out a very hard punishment on this

That is terrible and I am glad they go busted. Although, I am sure nothing much will be done about it in the grant scheme of things.

WV, PA, and OHIO were the worst states I had ever seen for poaching until I moved to GA. The "Good old boys" clubs down here in GA makes those northern states seem like a bunch of cupcake amateurs.

If you want to see bad poaching come to GA and investigate these "hunting clubs".....Thousands of deer and turkeys are poached every year in GA and nothing is ever done about it because the GA wardens are stretched so thin nothing gets investigated.

That is terrible and I am glad they go busted. Although, I am sure nothing much will be done about it in the grant scheme of things.

WV, PA, and OHIO were the worst states I had ever seen for poaching until I moved to GA. The "Good old boys" clubs down here in GA makes those northern states seem like a bunch of cupcake amateurs.

If you want to see bad poaching come to GA and investigate these "hunting clubs".....Thousands of deer and turkeys are poached every year in GA and nothing is ever done about it because the GA wardens are stretched so thin nothing gets investigated.

So we aren't the only one?

The amount of poaching that not only goes on here but that is culturally accepted as the norm is maddening.

No, your not the only ones...

What happens here in GA sickens me. We could have HUGE bucks running around everywhere here. But it will never happen. People use their kids tags, their brothers tags, their wives tags, or no tags at all.

Its accepted amongst most people.

I reported a guy a few years back who was known to have shot 7 bucks that year and he had them all in his garage. Nothing was ever done about it. They were all tagged. So what could be done? Meanwhile his wife and kids dont even hunt.....

I have been pushing for mandatory locking tags for years....too bad they slip right on and off of a spikes horn...

I don't know if they do or how much but people put into positions to up hold the law
And then found guilty of breaking the laws they are suppose to be up holding should defiantly be given much harder punishments
Than a regular citizen. Sadly they end up with much lesser punishments and find work in the same positions of law enforcement in a different state. You can find many instances of police getting caught planting evidence and other crimes that end up with reduced punishments. Anyway they should hand out very harsh punishments for all involved
How about just treat everyone equally under the law, that would’ve a good start

The only way to make folks care is to confiscate equipment. Take the vehicle they where in, every gun and piece of gear they own that could conceivably of been used for poaching.
That would be illegal.

Back