JWhunter

I plan on hunting for elk this fall, I was just curious of everyone's opinion on the unit I have a buddy up there so we have spots just want to start a thread to help give others insight on the unit when researching it. I also thought I might glass a lot of the draws behind alfalfa fields, thoughts on that?

Last edited:
I think you're on it. I have hunted that area and Unit 27 quite a bit. Usually find elk in the Pats Creek area.....

Yup!! Killed a 195 non-typ up there. Lots of deer, the later the better.....Hunt north toward Morgan creek. If you backpack hunt, all the better!!

Yes I do. I have to work our NWTF booth at the fair tonight, but I'll post one up as soon as I can. I shot at and missed TWICE on a typical that would've gone over 180 a few years ago. Those bucks are in there for those who work. Don't pass up Corkscrew!!! South side of Challis Creek road, across from Pats Creek....

We were looking at Lyon creek and poverty flats just seeing as Morgan creek is hit pretty hard

Are you talking Morgan creek or what area? I mean lots of hunters usually means they are there for reason but I don't want to luck in my bull getting pushed to me

Yes. The main Morgan Creek road is what was so full of camps. I tried to send you a PM with more info but your inbox is full.

Last edited:
Yes I do. I have to work our NWTF booth at the fair tonight, but I'll post one up as soon as I can. I shot at and missed TWICE on a typical that would've gone over 180 a few years ago. Those bucks are in there for those who work. Don't pass up Corkscrew!!! South side of Challis Creek road, across from Pats Creek....
Hey DeepCountry! I am hunting 36B this year for elk. Would you say these areas are still good starting points? Would you mind sending me a PM?

I pulled a Salmon B elk tag this season for the first time instead of a Sawtooth B.

Drew sheep 28-1 in 2017 and have considered elk hunting the area since.

Drove the Morgan Creek rd several times.

Awesome game country - Should be a good season.

Suggestions - 24 day elk season, hunt as many days as possible.

If you go early, they'll be near the farm fields. If you wait for rain and snow, they stay tucked in the trees. It's big country out there.

Rabbitslayer78, you want the truth or a feel good story? The truth is the deer are still building the bigger bucks are all in the same age class. Nothing real big and glorious. If next season is like '22 was you're going to pull your hair out. It was a shit show. The world descended to that unit. Nothing moved until the last week. Too hot and dry and about a 1,000 too many hunters.

Rabbitslayer78, you want the truth or a feel good story? The truth is the deer are still building the bigger bucks are all in the same age class. Nothing real big and glorious. If next season is like '22 was you're going to pull your hair out. It was a shit show. The world descended to that unit. Nothing moved until the last week. Too hot and dry and about a 1,000 too many hunters.
I appreciate the info. Can't be any worse than our trip this year in Unit 66. That was a zoo. However we did see a few good bucks, mostly dead ones. I hunted 36b, 20 years ago and it was ok. I understand the 16-17 winter took alot out of the deer population. Probably wolves as well.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back