MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

26 Nosler. Who has one and what do you think about the caliber and performance

blue devil

I have an opportunity to buy a rifle in 26 Nosler? Looks like a good caliber, any thoughts? I will mostly hunt antelope, whitetails, mule deer and possibly an occasional elk. Thanks in advance

If you plan to shoot Barnes or another lead free at high velocity it is a pretty good choice. Other than that it’s overrated IMO.

I have a 6.5 wildcat that I built to achieve similar performance and it’s flat out sick on mule deer with Berger VLD’s. I’ve had it up to 3300 over a Chrony with 140’s, but got ejector marks and backed down. I thought I was shooting 3315fps with 140’s on the first muley I killed, but got home and figured out I had put 130gr billets in my 140gr box after coating them. The hottest load it will shoot good groups with using 140’s is running 3175fps. That’s .26 Nosler territory if you look at load data, but it’s not meeting the loaded ammo numbers. The two mule deer I killed with it were hit with VLD’s leaving the barrel around 3300fps, and they were most likely 130gr VLDs. The first was at about 120yds, and the second at about 380yds. Both were pretty much instant kills. I just got back from my first elk hunt and used 140gr Elite Hunters at 3175fps. The first shot was a gut shot due to wind at 670yds. It exited. The second shot was at about 30yds and hit the shoulder joint. It slipped in before blowing up, completely eliminated the entire joint area leaving a half a numerous and a scapula with no socket, and destroyed the lungs, but did not exit. The elk stood up, walked 40yds on three legs and laid down and it was over. I’d have shot him again, but I didn’t have any more ammo on me. I would prefer a larger caliber bullet for elk. I think a 7mm or .30 cal would be better. I also recommend getting closer. It was a now or never moment, and I thought I was a lot closer than 670yds. For mule deer the gun has been amazing.

Upon further reflection I don’t think I would have hit the elk without it. I had taken a 30-06 in a wood stock and the 6.5 was a backup. The weather turned so I was carrying the 6.5. It turns out that at 670yds the 30-06 would have dropped 31” more than the 6.5 and drifted 6” more in a 10mph crosswind. So the ‘06 might have been better on a hit, but I would most likely be eating tag soup instead of my first elk hunt being a wonderful success.

Last edited:
I have a .264 win mag and used it on everything from pronghorn and black bears to elk and caribou... I would get a 26 in a heartbeat if funds allowed.

Bill

What is your wildcat? 6.5 is one of my favorite for deer. I’m running a 6.5SAUM with 140 hybrids and it’s pretty devastating on game.

Blue devil
If the rifle is used I’d try to get an accurate round count and if it’s cheap enough it would probably be a good flat shooting rifle. What brand of rifle? How much?

Last edited:
It’s a 6.5-257AI. 30” Krieger. Using WS2 coated bullets. I chose the case because PO Ackley tested a slew of .257” cartridges in the same barrel by progressively re-chambering it to the next larger cartridge and he got little to no gain beyond the .257AI. .264” isn’t much bigger and the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 both demonstrate short barrel life, which usually means you can almost match performance with something a fair bit smaller. Using an improved .257 case seemed to fit the bill. Also, I had originally planned to use a K98 action as the basis for the gun, so that was a great length. Looking at published data for the 6.5-06 and adding velocity for the extra 6” of barrel, for the coated bullets, and for pushing pressure to flat primers or ejector marks I figured I’d get 3200-3300 with 140’s and I was right. The cartridge is also known a .260AAR. Finding dies was a nightmare. I SHOULD get decent barrel life as I’m doing it with about 5gr less H2O capacity than a 6.5-284, but I’m using 1-1.5gr less powder than published loads with a 6.5-284, so although it should still last quite a bit longer than a .26 Nosler, which you can shoot out while sighting in, I don’t know that it’ll make it much past 1200 rounds before things open up. For a hunting gun that’s fine, but I built an F-open rig on the cartridge. I haven’t shot it yet, but after doing load development in the hunting gun I wish I had gone ahead with the 280AI on the match gun. I ended up going with a Rem700 action because mule deer season was approaching quickly and I didn’t have time to build a stock for K98 as well as rework the feed lips for the straight walled cartridge. For simplicity’s sake, after jumping through all the hoops I would recommend to anyone going down a similar path to look intently at the 6.5-284, 6.5-06, 6.5 Rem Mag and 6.5x57. All four are a little long for a short action. The original loads for the 6.5-284 used stubby bullets seated deeply to make it work with a short action, and the 6mm Rem wasn’t much better. The 6.5-284 is hard to find brass for, but the steep shoulder is nice. The 6.5-06 is known for being less finicky than the 6.5-284 and brass is easy to find. It should really be more popular than it is. The 6.5x57 uses the shoulder position of the 8x57 rather than that of the 244, 257, or 7x57, so it has almost the same case capacity as my wildcat. Factory brass is available from RWS or easily formed from 8x57 brass, and does not require the fire forming that my AI requires. It would also be perfect for a Mauser build with no modification. Dies are not as available as for the other two calibers, but are far more available than they are for the 6.5-257AI. I was hoping that the longer neck and sharper shoulder of my wildcat would increase barrel life, and it may. The 6.5x57 has the shortest neck of the four factory options, but due to its lower case capacity probably has better barrel life than the 6.5-284 and 6.5-06 while giving up little to no performance. The few people I’ve encountered who have used a 6.5x57 have sung its praises to the nth degree. The one I don’t know much about is the 6.5 Rem Mag. I’m thinking it has less capacity than the 6.5-06, and it may well be the best bet really, but I haven’t researched. Whatever the case, although it was a royal pain getting mine up and running, and would recommend a different path, now that it’s running I do absolutely love it. The barrel length wasn’t supposed to matter for a sandhills mule deer gun, but frankly I don’t find it too big a deal in other situations either. It sounds long, but it doesnt bother me.

The .26 Nosler doesn’t do much more than any of the smaller “big” .264’s if it does any more at all. It’s running high pressure and using a 28” barrel. Published data for most other cartridges is running lower pressure from shorter barrels. If a handloader runs up to his first pressure signs, he’ll be way over SAAMI pressure on other cartridges and right around where a .26 Nosler is running from the factory. If you want a 28” the run a 28” barrel. If you want a shorter barrel, then you won’t reach .26 Nosler velocities even with a .26 Nosler. I was gonna buy one, but decided that I could build two guns for the same money and they would come close in performance and last a lot longer. Hodgdon has an article where they said their pressure barrel for the .26 Nosler was shooting really great at first, but they wore it out before they finished load testing! Sometimes I like to take a harder path you have to, but there easier routes to a better alternative to a .26 Nosler. 6.5-06 with a 30” barrel. Ding ding ding. 6.5-284 if you need more abundant factory ammo.

Last edited:
cahunter805 - It is a Browning XBolt Hell's Canyon with fluted barrel and break. They figured less than 200 rounds shot through it and it's approximate $400 less than new. they said that the caliber was most likely the reason on it not selling yet. So they marked it down a bit.
Bill

What is your wildcat? 6.5 is one of my favorite for deer. I’m running a 6.5SAUM with 140 hybrids and it’s pretty devastating on game.

Blue devil
If the rifle is used I’d try to get an accurate round count and if it’s cheap enough it would probably be a good flat shooting rifle. What brand of rifle? How much?

I recently acquired a Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Long Range version (slightly heavier 26" barrel with break) in 26 Nosler.
After about 100 rounds of several different bullets and powder through it with no better results than 1-1/2" @ 100 yds, I finally took the Vertox scope (name changed to protect the innocent) off it and gave an old Leupold a ride and instantly started cutting holes at 100 yds. It will consistently produce well below MOA groups @ 300 yds. The load I ended up with (just happened to be what I had loaded at the time of the scope switch) was 130 gr Scirocco II's on top of a heaping spoonful of RL33 exiting the tube at 3500 fps (but not without some pressure signs).
Due to time constraints, this is the load I took lope hunting and it performed flawlessly at 90 yds.
I wish I had traded off scopes sooner than I did, because I'm certain my first several recipes didn't get a fair shake. I will probably go back and work with some 140's and a more temperature stable powder again. At the very least, I will back off on the grains of RL33 for the Sciroccos to relieve some pressure and see if they will still group at some better distances this winter.
It's a dream to shoot, and I bet I can scare the crap out of some steel at 1000 yrds this winter, but realistically not sure how much it will beat the 6.5x284 by, and it eats a bit more powder. With the bum scope, I probably used a chunk of barrel life just working up a load! But gun barrels are like tires on a truck, right?
The Vertox is on its way back to the factory...

I always get a kick out of the barrel burner comments. With care, hotrod barrels can last a long time. Even 600 rounds in a hunting rifle is a lifetime of hunting. mtmuley

...Even 600 rounds in a hunting rifle is a lifetime of hunting. mtmuley
Not if you practice.
I'm not saying you don't practice, I'm just saying something like 200 rounds/yr of field shooting practice is hardly extreme.

Bill
That’s an interesting wildcat. I’ve always though a 6.5-280AI would be fun and especially now with Nosler making 280AI brass.

For your typical hunter with a hunting rifle yes 600 rounds will last. For people who like to practice and are comfortable I suspect at least 100 rounds a year are fired especially if they only have one hunting rifle.

Not if you practice.
I'm not saying you don't practice, I'm just saying something like 200 rounds/yr of field shooting practice is hardly extreme.

I do practice. I hunt with a .300 RUM. I have a Remington in .222 Remington that is for practice. mtmuley

I have a 6.5 wildcat that I built to achieve similar performance and it’s flat out sick on mule deer with Berger VLD’s. I’ve had it up to 3300 over a Chrony with 140’s, but got ejector marks and backed down. I thought I was shooting 3315fps with 140’s on the first muley I killed, but got home and figured out I had put 130gr billets in my 140gr box after coating them. The hottest load it will shoot good groups with using 140’s is running 3175fps. That’s .26 Nosler territory if you look at load data, but it’s not meeting the loaded ammo numbers. The two mule deer I killed with it were hit with VLD’s leaving the barrel around 3300fps, and they were most likely 130gr VLDs. The first was at about 120yds, and the second at about 380yds. Both were pretty much instant kills. I just got back from my first elk hunt and used 140gr Elite Hunters at 3175fps. The first shot was a gut shot due to wind at 670yds. It exited. The second shot was at about 30yds and hit the shoulder joint. It slipped in before blowing up, completely eliminated the entire joint area leaving a half a numerous and a scapula with no socket, and destroyed the lungs, but did not exit. The elk stood up, walked 40yds on three legs and laid down and it was over. I’d have shot him again, but I didn’t have any more ammo on me. I would prefer a larger caliber bullet for elk. I think a 7mm or .30 cal would be better. I also recommend getting closer. It was a now or never moment, and I thought I was a lot closer than 670yds. For mule deer the gun has been amazing.

Upon further reflection I don’t think I would have hit the elk without it. I had taken a 30-06 in a wood stock and the 6.5 was a backup. The weather turned so I was carrying the 6.5. It turns out that at 670yds the 30-06 would have dropped 31” more than the 6.5 and drifted 6” more in a 10mph crosswind. So the ‘06 might have been better on a hit, but I would most likely be eating tag soup instead of my first elk hunt being a wonderful success.

First shot was 670yds and the second shot 30yds? You talking about the same animal?

First shot was 670yds and the second shot 30yds? You talking about the same animal?

I’d assume he walked up on the elk and had to finish it off due to his first shot being a gut shot from not reading the wind correctly.

I always get a kick out of the barrel burner comments. With care, hotrod barrels can last a long time. Even 600 rounds in a hunting rifle is a lifetime of hunting. mtmuley

On my 2nd barrel on a 6BR and the 2nd barrel on my 300RUM, and it's my 'hunting' rifle.
My dad is on barrel #2 on a 6PPC.
Not picking hairs - guess we just shoot a lot.

This is what's called "knowing enough to be dangerous".

I do practice. I hunt with a .300 RUM. I have a Remington in .222 Remington that is for practice. mtmuley
Good call, most people don't have a duplicate rifle with the same stock, trigger, and scope configuration to replicate hunting situations in a lighter recoiling and less costly (to shoot) rifle.

This is what's called "knowing enough to be dangerous".
Well said!!!!

Bill
I just reread your post. You stated you thought you were a lot closer than 670. Did you not range the elk before shooting? Was this a hold over shot or dialing?

Back