Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

.257 Weatherby Mag?

dustinf

Found this at Cabela's: .257 Weatherby Mag

I can buy it for $1899. Thoughts on the price?

My main question is it an adequate sheep gun?

Sorry, I've been bow hunting or muzzle-loader hunting almost exclusively for the past 25 years. The only big game rifle I own is a hand-me-down 1960's era Savage 30.06 topped with a 4x Tasco of the same vintage. I'd like to keep this rifle as is, and pass it on to another generation, just as it was passed on to me.

I'm rifle hunting antelope this fall, and a sheep is my goal for lucky '13. I'd like to buy a rifle to handle both. I've been looking for a deal on a used 7mm Rem Mag, or 30.06, but the .257 I found has me thinking.

Last edited:
For a sheep gun at that price point, I would be looking at the Kimber Mountain Ascent.

That being said, you can get alot of gun for alot less $$$$

As equipped (w/habicht swaro) and described I think it's a fair price. Is 1899 your negotiated best number? I certainly think it an adequate caliber.

Price isn't all that bad. If you don't reload, you'll find .257 Weatherby ammo alot less common, with lots fewer options, and often more expensive than more mainstream chamberings. If you are comfortable with those hurdles, I can't imagine that it wouldn't work super for pronghorn and sheep.

Will it do as a sheep rifle, you bet. I'd change out the scope in a heart beat. Something like a Leo 6x36 w/dotz is where I'd go.

The 257 Bee is a wonderful round and will do for most all that move on this earth so yeah it'd be fine for sheep.

Honestly, for the money I feel there's much better options. And with a bit of creativity one could build one heck of a sheep rig for that kind of cheddar.

That said, more importantly when and where's your sheep hunt at that you're buying the rig for?

I have the Vangaurd with Leupold 4.5 to 14. Into it for $750. I have never hunted sheep, but have shot 3 elk with it, all one shot kills, on the ground dead in 30 yards. Gotta believe with a good shot it should do fine with sheep. Buying ammo can be expensive, so I reload to help reduce that cost. Mine like the Barnes triple shock 115 grain bullets. Happy hunting!

That said, more importantly when and where's your sheep hunt at that you're buying the rig for?

To be determined. Hopefully 2013 in Montana, Idaho, Nevada, or Arizona. If my current bad luck in draws continues, it'll be an outfitter and free range Audad in Texas.

You could get a 1st generation Remington Ti, a Kimber Montana for less money.

Or you could get a Rem 700 donor, barrel of your choice from a custom maker, crown, fit, chamber, and action true. Slap on a B&C stock, and your choice of Leupold VX3 and you'd have a custom that will probably shoot better.

If you like it and can get a fair price - buy it.
imo : .257 is adequate, and a great cal.
Skeet20 had one (weatherby) for sale, you might pm him to see if it is gone?

From Shooting Times

Through the years Roy used the speedy cartridge quite successfully on game as large as moose and elk, and even the mighty Cape buffalo fell with one shot during one of Roy’s many trips to Africa. Declaring war on something as big and potentially nasty as a Cape buffalo with a 100-grain bullet was not something he recommended to others, and Roy did it just once to prove to himself that it could be done.

I think it would be fine on a sheep :D

As far as price. I think you could build up a .257 Vanguard and have just as good a rifle for far less of a price tag. And by build up, I mean throw a trigger, scope and stock(I'm partial to Boyd's stocks, excellent quality for the price). At least, that is what I am doing.

If you get the newer Vanguard Series 2, you can skip the trigger job and the new stock. Save that much more $

I have the Series 2 in .300 WIN MAG with a 4-12x40 AO VXII and its a tack drivin machine.

Buying a weatherby round usually draws some criticism. Shells cost a lot... just buying it for the name... you could get something cheaper that "ALMOST" performs the same... too few selections on bullets... and on and on.

Truth be told... it one of the fastest, flatest shooting big game guns ever produced. Ballistically capable of killing just about anything you'd ever want to...

Personally its just one of those rounds thats easy to "fall in love" with the more you shoot it. Yeah its expensive but soooo worth it!! Hell.. if you want a ferrari... you buy a ferrari. You buy a hopped up ford pinto its still a ford pinto...:D

I have a 257 Weatherby. It is a simple SS Vanguard (Howa). It is an amazing gun. I shot a big Wyoming (well big for me) with the 257. This link has pics of the elk: http://www.monstermuleys.info/cgi-b...thread&om=11430&forum=DCForumID12&archive=yes, I am in the process of rebuilding this gun. I changed the scope (leopold 4.5x14x40 with cds), a Bell and Carlson Medalist stock, glass bedding, free floated the barrel and added a Timney trigger set at 2 lbs. It is a shooting SOB and if I ever get a chance at a sheep I will take that gun. I think you could buy a new Vanguard add a good Leopold Scope and save a bit of money.In total I am into my gun about $1200 (not including the original Nikon scope). I know it's not a Mark V but I didn't think I needed it.

The description says that .257 shows some bluing wear on the barrel and magazine, so it sounds like it's been around awhile. Personally, not knowing who put what and how many through it and why the owner got rid of it, I would go with a new rifle like a Tikka, Howa, Sako, etc. in a standard caliber for less money as has been said in other posts, especially if you don't reload.

Last edited:
I'm with Topgun on this one. I always wonder why a guy would sell a good shooting firearm. Cabela's does buy from gun investors, collectors and estate sales. Guns from the investors and collectors are usually in as-new condition. If this rifle came from an estate sale, it might be okay. For &1,900, I would rather start from scratch with a new package. I happen to be partial to Browning rifles and would pick an X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in 25-06 or 7mm Remington and top it with a Leupold VXIII 4.5-14X40. In fact, the last rifle I put together is that exact configuration in .338 Winchester. I don't reload and I have a hard time spending $75 for a box of ammo.

Update:

I decided I would call and make a lower offer, if they accepted the offer I would buy it. The guy at Cabela's basically laughed at my offer. Oh well, my search continues.

Have a Remington 700 sps in 257 wby that I put in TI stock. I'm very happy with it but would like to get a McMillan stock someday. You might look into putting your own together if your set on a 257 wby.

I own two 257 WM's. One custom and one WBY. It's a capable caliber. Roy Weatherby proved that by killing a Cape Buffalo with one shot several years ago. With good bullets, it will certainly take anything that walks on this side of the pond. Unless you are hard over on the Swarovski scope, you can do a lot better on the price.

Back