.257 Wby Mag?

I just joined the 257 club this past weekend. Can't wait to see what it can do. Do most of ya'll zero at 200 yds?

Welcome to the club! You're going to love it!

I sight mine in 2.5" high at 100 yards, which is dead on at 300 yards, and about 8" low at 400 yards.

Last edited:
While I don't own one, a few individuals I know do, and it is by far their favorite shooter. I don't believe you can go wrong with a 257 WBY.

I just picked up another one yesterday. It’s a Weatherby Vanguard First Lite in .257 Wby Mag. I got a stupid price on it and couldn’t help myself. LOL. I can’t wait to shoot it.View attachment 118633
Such a Beautiful rifle, and one that I have been looking at in that caliber on BudsGunshop, debating on putting it on a 90 day layaway program. I did the same with my new Savage Model 110 Long Range Hunter in .300 WSM. I have my .270 Win that I have had for 20 years and now my 2nd in the .300 WSM, but wouldn't mind having a "smaller" caliber than my .270 Win as well.

Just ordered a vanguard today. Didn’t know the newer vanguards come 26” barrel with the 257 weatherby. Looking forward to playing with one again
I think they started doing this a year or so ago. I was alway confused why they had always produced the 257 vangaurds with 24" tubes when its widely known you get the best velocities with a 26" tube.

I have never been a Weatherby cartridge fan. Problem is the velocity they get can be pretty hard on bullet's. 257 has to be the champ at destroying bullet's. I think if I had a Weatherby cartridge I would seriously consider using either monolithic bullet's or a partition bullet. I'd even shy away from bonded bullet's in the 257. Problem is the velocity of these thing's is gonna treat bullet's badly I would think. And Weatherby got these thing's started with older type cup and core bullet's. Heard one time that Weatherby factory ammo had Hornady cup and core bullet's in it. Don't know if that's true or not. I think at least in larger cal cartridge's bonded core bullet's heavy for caliber might work well but that, to me anyway, seem's to be one place that monolithic bullet's would shine, the other of course, is California!

Velocity is not a friend of cup and core bullet's and seem's to my the velocity from a 257 Weatherby might even bring out the worst in the heavy 25 cal monolithic bullet's, the thing is a lazer! Think of what that thing likely does to most bullet's and I think of something like the old Hornady SX bullet's and current V-Max bullet's, blow up going through a dead leaf! I get the feeling that people developing cartridges are not gonna be happy till they reach a velocity that monolithic bullet's splatter at. can't imagine what that might be but pretty fast! Imagine a rifle zeroed at 1000yds that has a MRT of four inch's! WOW! Even as hard to believe is a bullet that would act right there at the muzzle to 1000 yds!
We have no problem with close shots and bullet performance from our 257 WBYs. And we shoot 115 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips.

Son with 40 yard broadside shot. Pass thru. Pink mist in the air after the shot. Bullet performance no problem with a ballistic tip.

Attachments

• 25C243A6-0778-42AC-9E88-D79CF9744374.jpeg
    25C243A6-0778-42AC-9E88-D79CF9744374.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 3
  • 258ECDB8-8F88-43EE-B30B-96ECA3CA2ACA.jpeg
    258ECDB8-8F88-43EE-B30B-96ECA3CA2ACA.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
Back