Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

240 weatherby

I killed my first big game animal, a whitetail, with a 6mm Remington. The weatherby push that sized bullet with more energy.

I think it'll be a fine pronghorn and deer rifle with some good quality bullets. I would lean towards heavier side on bullets.

you wont find a better antelope gun out there. Might be a bit light on bullet weight for deer, but with the speed it will make up for it. I wish stores would carry more of them on their shelves.

A 240WB makes a 6mm Creedmoor look like a 10/22....
What's the twist? Hope for a 1x10 Possibly a 1x12 if it's a 1x14 it's for light bullets.
With that said, I have a 6mm rem and do big mule deer well over 350 yards .
It has a 26 barrel and a 1 x14 twist. I use a 80gr Barnes and push it over 3600 fps.
In a WB you could get maybe up to 3800 .
My Pdog load is a 55gr ballistic tip at 4200 fps , out standing.
I have had it for years and have run 1000's of rounds through it .
I have killed cow elk with it and plan to use it for black bear with it this year.
A 240 WB is what a 243 wants to be when it grows up....
With a load it likes it will be the most accurate gun you have .

A fellow up here had one that he used to cull wolves, but it also worked well for Caribou. Congratulations to her. This is not what you asked but if it was me I would be tempted to trade it for a 257 Weatherby.

I've never used it but it should be lights out on pronghorn and deer. I'd probably rather have a .257 but that's neither here nor there. Factory ammo could be somewhat hard to come by and is probably expensive.

Published 240 wby charges are 2/3 again what I'm burning in my little 6-250. All that extra powder for maybe 300 more fps and substantially shorter barrel life doesn't seem worth it to me, but to each their own.

That said, congrats on winning the rifle and there's no reason you can't have fun with it!

You linked $40 per box ammo. That’s not too expensive. WBY has made a permanent 30% discount on ammo.
$40 isn’t bad and it sounds like the sportsman’s near my house carries it. Excited to get some rounds through it.

Last edited:
A 240WB makes a 6mm Creedmoor look like a 10/22....
What's the twist? Hope for a 1x10 Possibly a 1x12 if it's a 1x14 it's for light bullets.
With that said, I have a 6mm rem and do big mule deer well over 350 yards .
It has a 26 barrel and a 1 x14 twist. I use a 80gr Barnes and push it over 3600 fps.
In a WB you could get maybe up to 3800 .
My Pdog load is a 55gr ballistic tip at 4200 fps , out standing.
I have had it for years and have run 1000's of rounds through it .
I have killed cow elk with it and plan to use it for black bear with it this year.
A 240 WB is what a 243 wants to be when it grows up....
With a load it likes it will be the most accurate gun you have .
Looks like it is a 1:10 twist

I've always been somewhat interested in the 240 weatherby, and darn near bought one many years ago.

But, in the end, it just wasn't different enough from the 6mm that I already had.

IMO, its more than enough for deer and pronghorn and will work on elk as well. I think like others have said, would probably focus on the 90-108 grain bullet range and probably shoot a well constructed bullet...ballistic tips, accubond, partitions, maybe e-tips or barnes. It may or may not shoot bullets over 100 grains that well...you're right on the edge with a 1-10 twist.

I sure wish that nosler would come out with an accubond in the 105-108 grain range...I think it would be an amazing bullet in the 243/6mm/240 weatherby with proper twist.

Good luck with the new rifle.

I killed well over 100 deer with a 6mm Rem, using 100-grain Interlocks, some out to 400 yards. That rifle, using all-copper bullets, will kill deer and antelope as far as you can accurately shoot it. It is going to be expensive to shoot and hard on barrels, so it should be kept for hunting only, unless you feel rich!

That is a great win!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back