240 weatherby mag

DamascusSteel

Can anybody speak on this cartridge, looking at the weatherby Camilla, for my children. I've read that recoil is around 308 win and 270 win.. also is it pushing the bullets fast enough to stabilize the heavier longer monos and 100+ gr bullet, 1-10 twist on the weatherbys...
Just asking for opinions on the cartridge

Can anybody speak on this cartridge, looking at the weatherby Camilla, for my children. I've read that recoil is around 308 win and 270 win.. also is it pushing the bullets fast enough to stabilize the heavier longer monos and 100+ gr bullet, 1-10 twist on the weatherbys...
Following

I came across the following Ft/lb numbers.

240 - 18
257 WBY - 15
25-06 - 12.5

If that’s true, I’d look at the 257 WBY. My son and I both shoot it. I don’t notice the recoil. Mine had killed WT, Muley, antelope, sheep, and elk. Amazing round.

Never owned a 6mm but like them for young shooters. My favorite Wby round is the .257. Lots of powder and small bore sounds like a winning combo but 1:10 has it limits for heavy/longer, as will the magazine.

I came across the following Ft/lb numbers.

240 - 18
257 WBY - 15
25-06 - 12.5

If that’s true, I’d look at the 257 WBY. My son and I both shoot it. I don’t notice the recoil. Mine had killed WT, Muley, antelope, sheep, and elk. Amazing round.
Huh I never would have expected the 240 wby mag to recoil more than the 257

IIRC, the Camilla has an ergonomically specific stock design....another mitigating factor.

I'd rather have an 8 twist .243 win for a kids gun personally. Will stabilize through 105's, better barrel life and brass availability, WAY cheaper ammo if you don't reload, 15-20 gr less "boom" every trigger squeeze. Just my opinion. 240 Wby would be fun, don't get me wrong.

I have a .257 Wby. mag in a Weatherby Lazerguard...super accurate and to me, mild recoil using Weatherby .257 115 gr. BST ammo. Great deer killer too! Can't comment on the .240 Wby. mag though.

I'd rather have an 8 twist .243 win for a kids gun personally. Will stabilize through 105's, better barrel life and brass availability, WAY cheaper ammo if you don't reload, 15-20 gr less "boom" every trigger squeeze. Just my opinion. 240 Wby would be fun, don't get me wrong.
.243 is the best choice for kids. No debate.

The president of the company I work for speaks highly of the 240 WBY. He has a couple big ol deer in his office taken by it. As long as you're okay with loading or buying expensive Weatherby ammunition, I'd say go for it. Good cartridge.

Ok, several thoughts.

1) The Camilla stock is ergonomically designed for a woman. More drop, more cast off, higher comb, smaller grip, shorter LOP.
So if your "children" are daughters, the Camilla may work.
2) Hornady told me a 1:10 would NOT stabalize their 105gr Match bullet in a 243 Win. Did so just fine to 500 yards in the wife's rifle.
3) Checking out twist rate requirements from Cutting Edge. With the 1:10 barrel heaviest mono from them is 77gr. 88gr requires a 1:9.25.
100gr requires a 1:7.
4) Take up reloading! After several boxes of reloads, will pay for your tooling over factory Weatherby ammo.

I do reload, I appreciate the feedback. From what I've heard in the past don't know for sure but velocity plays a big role in stability. More speed requires less twist.

I have the Weatherby Vanguard 240, reload, recoil is not bad at all. Deadly on antelope, is all the on game experience it has had. Load 80 TTSX, would like to try the 95 LRX, but don't think it would stabilize.

I do reload, I appreciate the feedback. From what I've heard in the past don't know for sure but velocity plays a big role in stability. More speed requires less twist.
A role yes but not big. For example, where SG greater than 1.5 is considered stable:

105 Berger Hunting VLD, 5000' elevation, 59*F, 1-10 twist
2900 FPS (approx .243 win) = "marginal stability", SG 1.20, B.C. compromised by 9%
3300 FPS (approx. 240 wby) = "marginal stability", SG 1.25, B.C. compromised by 8%

Same 2900 FPS load in a 1-8 twist yields SG 1.87. Even Temperature matters more than speed...drop the temp from 59* to 0* and the SG on the 1-10 2900 load goes down to 1.04.

Just some ballparks from the twist calculator, but it gets the idea across.

A role yes but not big. For example, where SG greater than 1.5 is considered stable:

105 Berger Hunting VLD, 5000' elevation, 59*F, 1-10 twist
2900 FPS (approx .243 win) = "marginal stability", SG 1.20, B.C. compromised by 9%
3300 FPS (approx. 240 wby) = "marginal stability", SG 1.25, B.C. compromised by 8%

Same 2900 FPS load in a 1-8 twist yields SG 1.87. Even Temperature matters more than speed...drop the temp from 59* to 0* and the SG on the 1-10 2900 load goes down to 1.04.

Just some ballparks from the twist calculator, but it gets the idea across.
Wow a whole 1% better, I bet if you had a custom 240 wby mag built with 1-8 it would be an awesome rifle might look that route.. I have time

I own both the .240 and .257 WM, they almost seem to have about the same felt recoil, like a .270 win sort of, as for your kids, best to start them off with a .243 win.

I own both the .240 and .257 WM, they almost seem to have about the same felt recoil, like a .270 win sort of, as for your kids, best to start them off with a .243 win.
Appreciate it, I almost picked up a 243 win for my son but it was still a bit big for him to shoot comfortably, even in a compact. So I still have plenty of time.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dwaller4449
Back