PEAX Equipment

24" 30.06 with Threaded barrel?

Rodzilla

Anyone know if there is a rifle manufacturer that makes a 24" rifle with threaded barrel in 30.06 caliber? Been looking around, but cannot seem to find that combination available. I like the new CVA rifles, they have one in 7mm mag that looks pretty sweet. I just wanted to stay with the old 06' since I have all the reloading components for it (and ammo to last me through any democratic Armageddon).

I know that the 7mm Mag would be a upgrade at long ranges, but I just love shooting my 30.06. I have an old Ruger m77 with 22" barrel that was a hand me down from my Dad, but I think its time for rifle upgrade. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor for dinking around, but looking at hunting elk in a year or so (burn my WY points), and would not be comfortable shooting one with the Creedmoor at extended ranges.

Are you needing the 24 inch barrel for any specific reason? https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966301122
Thank you, That is a sweet looking rifle. I just prefer the 24. I guess under 300 yards the difference (22" vs. 24") would be marginable (180 grain bullet hitting an Elk in the boiler room would = a dead elk). I prefer 24" to 26" barrels for maximum velocity capability, and because for me, they seem to lay more stabile for long shots (300 to 500 yards). Just preference.

You are trying to buck a couple of current trends. The 30-06 isn’t chambered in near the options it once was as people have gravitated to short actions and the new precision cartridges. People are wanting rifles with shorter barrels to add a suppressor and keep them manageable. Even magnums are becoming available with 20-24’s

Mtmuley listed a great option, once they become available I want to pick one up.

Weatherby builds the vanguard with a 24 inch barrel and is available in a number of options, most are threaded.

You didn’t list a budget but similar in price to that alpha you could also pick up a weatherby mark v hunter, 24 inch threaded barrel.

You can check out gun broker, they have a filter option for barrel length. There are over 300 in 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel. Not all of those would be threaded but any competent gun smith/machinist will be able to remedy that if you find a rifle you like.

You are trying to buck a couple of current trends. The 30-06 isn’t chambered in near the options it once was as people have gravitated to short actions and the new precision cartridges. People are wanting rifles with shorter barrels to add a suppressor and keep them manageable. Even magnums are becoming available with 20-24’s

Mtmuley listed a great option, once they become available I want to pick one up.

Weatherby builds the vanguard with a 24 inch barrel and is available in a number of options, most are threaded.

You didn’t list a budget but similar in price to that alpha you could also pick up a weatherby mark v hunter, 24 inch threaded barrel.

You can check out gun broker, they have a filter option for barrel length. There are over 300 in 30-06 with a 24 inch barrel. Not all of those would be threaded but any competent gun smith/machinist will be able to remedy that if you find a rifle you like.
Thanks for the response. I should have said a budget, and its ~1K as long as I don't want to be scope poor. The alpha looks amazing, but likely out of my budget range. I had realized the Weatherby vanguard models come in such configurations. Spent some time researching last night (this one looks to have what I am looking for).

Makes sense about the trends going to compact rifles. I live out west, never have had the need for super compact rifles (most hunting in NV, UT and WY). I also am not into the hot new calibers such as the 6.5 PRC or 6.8 western. I understand that for most application compact rifles do just as good or better in the hands of a proficient shooter. I've had my little compact Ruger M77 since 1992, hoping to get a new (kill anything) gun for the next 30 years.

1673793876818.png

Thanks for the response. I should have said a budget, and its ~1K as long as I don't want to be scope poor. The alpha looks amazing, but likely out of my budget range. I had realized the Weatherby vanguard models come in such configurations. Spent some time researching last night (this one looks to have what I am looking for).

Makes sense about the trends going to compact rifles. I live out west, never have had the need for super compact rifles (most hunting in NV, UT and WY). I also am not into the hot new calibers such as the 6.5 PRC or 6.8 western. I understand that for most application compact rifles do just as good or better in the hands of a proficient shooter. I've had my little compact Ruger M77 since 1992, hoping to get a new (kill anything) gun for the next 30 years.

View attachment 260778
I don’t think you’d be disappointed if you decide to go the vanguard route!

I’d be tempted to keep what you have and like and use that $1000 to get a new barrel, stock and/or maybe upgrade stocks. Just a thought, but this is one I’ve thought about lots too as more and more companies are putting out less options for older cartridges.

I hear good things about Bergara. Never handled one.

If you reload, I would go over to shooters pro shop and snag a bunch of 165 Accubonds that are currently available or if you're a non-lead shooter 137-152 Hammers or a 150-168TTSX.

I hear good things about Bergara. Never handled one.

If you reload, I would go over to shooters pro shop and snag a bunch of 165 Accubonds that are currently available or if you're a non-lead shooter 137-152 Hammers or a 150-168TTSX.
I have heard a few good things about the Bergara as well (but like you don't know much about them or have any experience). I have been reloading some TTSX loads (but yet to use on deer), cant wait to see how they do.

I have heard a few good things about the Bergara as well (but like you don't know much about them or have any experience). I have been reloading some TTSX loads (but yet to use on deer), cant wait to see how they do.
The actions are smooth and every one I’ve seen was a shooter. The only downside to them is the pillars they use in the stock are flat and have a very small contact patch with the action. They can move and cause random flyers. Bedding them fixes it 100% and I wouldn’t hesitate to shoot them longer distances at the range. I shot mine over 700 yards and it would print a 5” group pretty easily.

Anyone know if there is a rifle manufacturer that makes a 24" rifle with threaded barrel in 30.06 caliber? Been looking around, but cannot seem to find that combination available. I like the new CVA rifles, they have one in 7mm mag that looks pretty sweet. I just wanted to stay with the old 06' since I have all the reloading components for it (and ammo to last me through any democratic Armageddon).

I know that the 7mm Mag would be an upgrade at long ranges, but I just love shooting my 30.06. I have an old Ruger m77 with 22" barrel that was a hand me down from my Dad, but I think its time for rifle upgrade. I also have a 6.5 Creedmoor for dinking around, but looking at hunting elk in a year or so (burn my WY points), and would not be comfortable shooting one with the Creedmoor at extended ranges.
You have good taste in cartridges and barrel length. I strongly suggest finding a good, small, local gunsmith and have them build you a basic hunting rifle to your specifications. You won’t regret spending the little bit of over-budget money. My custom rifle is pretty basic but it’s my most prized possession because it’s dang near a magic wand when it’s time to squeeze the trigger. I’ve owned plenty of factory rifles and their balance and accuracy have always been disappointing-and this has gotten worse over the years IMO. I think factory rifles are built to look cool above all else. The factory rifles selling nowadays at the big box stores feel like they’re made as cheaply as possible in China using recycled plastic bottles and cast metal.

So that my 11 year old daughter can shoot it in the near future. That with reduced loads and it would kick like a .223.
Meaning you would put a break on it? I shot many Speer plinkers slung out by 10-12 grains of Unique out of my 308 and 30-06, not too loud and pretty darned accurate. I got better accuracy using I4227 and more powder but that made for a louder load. Still not bad though.

Whatever you wanna do is your business and money.
Be a hell of a lot simpler to buy her a.243 or 7-08 and be done with it.
Don’t understand the threaded barrel thing????? You can’t have a suppressor in your State anyway.
Suit yourself

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sea Rover
Back