223 fine crosshair scope

Addicting

Trying to find a 4x12 fine scope is harder than you would think. Leupold is my go to but it is not offered in the catalog that I can find. I sent them a message about building me one. I have a 3.5 x 10 VX3HD on it now with the standard duplex and it is too thick. It drives me nuts trying to shoot it even at 100 yards as the duplex covers too much of the x. I don’t want to step up to a 6x20 as my kids train with it. They have an issue with eye relief at higher magnification.

Anything else you think is worth looking at? Not a fan of Vortex.

Perhaps a first focal plane scope would be more appropriate?

1670626973201.png

1670626993318.png

Bought a meopta optika5 2-10 from @schmalts for my dad and with the zplex reticle it’s finer than ideal actually for thick woods whitetail hunting. They make a side focus model for close parallax rimfire stuff that would fit the bill nicely. They are in that vx3 class of optic too.

Last edited:
I had FX3 fixed 12X with fine duplex and target turrets on and old Savage 112 J .222. It’s perfect for punching paper and varmints. Wish they still made them.

I had FX3 fixed 12X with fine duplex and target turrets on and old Savage 112 J .222. It’s perfect for punching paper and varmints. Wish they still made them.
I got a simple email back from Leupold that basically told me we don’t make one. That’s it, not a used model to look for, not a referral to the custom shop. Nada, gee thanks for the info I already knew that I emailed you for possible solutions.

Sightron S-TAC 3-16, the MOA-3 looks like it is fairly thin per the actual pics I've seen. Thats probably the route I'll go when I convince my financial advisor I need a new .223 bolt gun.

Sightron S-TAC 3-16, the MOA-3 looks like it is fairly thin per the actual pics I've seen. Thats probably the route I'll go when I convince my financial advisor I need a new .223 bolt gun.
I like the eye relief but am avoiding ones with the dot in the center. It covers up too much MOA on the lower power the kids shoot right now. On 3 power that dot is 1.33moa so it has to be on 5 just to not cover a 1” bulls eye.

Trying to find a 4x12 fine scope is harder than you would think. Leupold is my go to but it is not offered in the catalog that I can find. I sent them a message about building me one. I have a 3.5 x 10 VX3HD on it now with the standard duplex and it is too thick. It drives me nuts trying to shoot it even at 100 yards as the duplex covers too much of the x. I don’t want to step up to a 6x20 as my kids train with it. They have an issue with eye relief at higher magnification.

Anything else you think is worth looking at? Not a fan of Vortex.
There’s a 4x12 Leupold that was posted today on rimfire central. I know nothing else about it or the seller. I’m just trying to help since that’s the range you’re looking at.

I'd jump on the Burris Fullfield, or Crimson Trace.

I put a Burris Fullfield E1 BDC 4.5-14X42 on my 280 Rem.

My 25 WSSM, 25-06, and 7mm WBY Mag all wear Burris Fullfield E1 "Long Range" (MOA reticle) 4.5-14X42.

Thinking of switching over on the Weatherby to a Crimson Trace Hardline after Christmas.

Burris running under $200.
Crimson Trace $429.

Thinking of switching over on the Weatherby to a Crimson Trace Hardline after Christmas.
I like the reticle on the long range BDC. Have you handled them to see how the turrets move? I hope they have some mechanism to stop them from bump spinning.

I like the reticle on the long range BDC. Have you handled them to see how the turrets move? I hope they have some mechanism to stop them from bump spinning.
I'm not sure if the Hardline Pro has zero stop or not.
The Hardline i was looking at does not have zero stop.

Glass quality and the turrets are why i'm wanting one!

I detest retucules like that, to busy. Anyone remember the old Herter range finder reticule? What a mess it was!A really good shooter doesn't need all that garbage in there, to distracting.
The shooter might want to use the reticle to hold for elevation or wind, which is certainly not useless.

Or, some shooters like me like it simple. So the reticle is useless. mtmuley
If you’re not going to use those features then it certainly is useless. I like duplex reticles too, all depends on what you’re going to do with it.

Back