Yeti GOBOX Collection

.22 rifle for my son

VAspeedgoat

My son just turned 11and is finally big enough to handle adult sized rifles. We just gave him a winchester 70 featherweight in 7mm08 for his birthday and was thinking about a .22. He has outgrown his TC hotshot so its time to move on. I have always been a 77/22 fan and was leaning heavily towards that especially if he is willing to pitch in. I have looked at the american but it just feels awkward to me. Between those two its like comparing a boy to a man. But the 77/22 sure is expensive for a rimfire.

My question is basically what thoughts do you guys have on these two rifles, and also what other suggestions do you have that would be similar? Thanks for any help.

Cz does make a nice 22. But you are very correct, the American vs the 77/22 is like apples and oranges.

Ever thought about a 10/22 for him or are you wanting to stay with a bolt? I was probably about 11 when my Grandpa bought me a 10/22. Shoot it almost daily still..

I have a 77/22 and I love it. The CZs are nice rifles too. I went with the Ruger because I like the 3-pos safety and magazines seemed like they would be easier to come by in the long run.

The 77/22 will operate more similarly to his Winchester centerfire than the other options. That said, I'd probably be getting an American predator model...

I've still got the 77/22 my dad gave me for Christmas nearly 30 years ago (can that be right?!?!) and it is wonderful. It's probably got close to eleventy- billion rounds through it and is still perfect. They are as solid a sporting 22 as can be had.

I've had a couple 77/22s and a CZ455, and a half dozen others, Marlins, Remington, Mossburg. Not sure about the new 77/22s but the triggers on mine needed a bit of work. @25yds it will shoot 10shots into a dime with match grade ammo, with junk off the shelf it swells a bit more than a nickle.

The CZ is a really nice rifle for the money, fit, finish and balance is superior to the 77/22, IMO. Much less clunky than the 77s, but I prefer the bigger action of the 77s. Both shoot extremely well, nearly as well as the Anchutz I used to have.

Forgot to put the 10/22 on there. I don't own one but have shot my buddies a lotn. deffinitelt wouldn't rule it out. Generally are they close to the accuracy of a bolt action? I know there is always aftermarket stuff also. The other one I was thinking of was a marlin 39a if they still make them. Any thoughts?

My CZ 455 is a tack driver. You won't be disappointed.

My 10/22 won't shoot a 1" group at 15 yds

I've had several rimfire rifles. For that age and the quality/accuracy/ price juggle I think I'd personally take a hard look at a CZ 452 Trainer. One of the more accurate one's I've owned with a solid action and a decent piece of wood. The best part is they're very reasonably priced. http://www.gunbroker.com/item/562592824

My old man went through two of those. One in 22lr and one in 17hmr. Both had the same issue... not ejecting. One was sent back, the second one was worked on by the local smith because Sako won't pay for shipping... the second one was traded for a CZ. I like Sako rifles but will never recommend one, nor buy one in a rimfire.

Skip the 10/22 for a kid. Teach him to shoot rather than pull the trigger. I used to shoot a crap ton of gophers, and would easily match my partner in kills, if not x2 better on a bullet for bullet ratio. I've seen some 10/22 that are crazy accurate.

I'd go for the CZ before the Ruger of any flavor of 22.

However, I'd probably go for a Henry .22 if I were a kid. It's got the cowboy factor and is inexpensive and accurate. If he wants something a little nicer, a Marlin 39 or Winchester 9422 would be classy and provide a lifetime of service.

Lots of good pumps out there in the used racks too.

My old man went through two of those. One in 22lr and one in 17hmr. Both had the same issue... not ejecting. One was sent back, the second one was worked on by the local smith because Sako won't pay for shipping... the second one was traded for a CZ. I like Sako rifles but will never recommend one, nor buy one in a rimfire.

Skip the 10/22 for a kid. Teach him to shoot rather than pull the trigger. I used to shoot a crap ton of gophers, and would easily match my partner in kills, if not x2 better on a bullet for bullet ratio. I've seen some 10/22 that are crazy accurate.

Good to know! I had been looking at them and just assumed Sako would make a good .22 as well.

I have a Marlin 39 and it is fun to shoot. Also have a 77-22 laminated it has killed a few thousand prairie dogs. I had no idea they cost that much today.

My vote is the Marlin, but I only have experience with 77-22, 10-22 and the 39.

Forgot to put the 10/22 on there. I don't own one but have shot my buddies a lotn. deffinitelt wouldn't rule it out. Generally are they close to the accuracy of a bolt action? I know there is always aftermarket stuff also. The other one I was thinking of was a marlin 39a if they still make them. Any thoughts?

My 10/22 will hold 1/2MOA at 50yds with decent ammo.

MY 10/22 is all stock. Its probably 40ish years old, in general i believe rifles were made better then than now so take it for what it's worth.

It out shot either of the CZ452? that I owned. The CZ's while a nice rifle, both went down the road.

I had a pair of Sako 75's in WSM's that I sent back. Couldnt make either one of them shoot. Had a buddy who is beyond meticulous and can make most anything shoot try for me too. Sent them both back to Sako on my dime. They came back with a letter saying they shot to their guarantee. When my dealer asked them to produce targets proving so for me, they couldn't. Been done with Sako ever since. Nice looking and nice handling rifles but those 75's were junk. I've read the 85 WSM's are better.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lucafu1
Back