Caribou Gear Tarp

‘22 Iowa whitetail

I'm just trying to understand.
On a given drive,you have drivers and shooters? But the shooters are stationed in safe shooting zones from the drivers.
Safe is a relative term. I can say for certain, not always, and I've been in the crossfire of a drive. On public property, I am very definitely not a fan of this style of hunting, yet it is the traditional Iowa style of deer hunting, keeping mind, deer hunting is relatively "new" in Iowa (circa 1952 in ~ 50% of the states 99 counties).

A good true Midwestern deer drive is a top 5 hunting activity for me. When executed correctly and with safety in mind there are very few things in hunting that I've experienced that match it.

Great thread and I have to say lots of truly nice bucks. Your brother's buck is a special one.

Safe is a relative term. I can say for certain, not always, and I've been in the crossfire of a drive. On public property, I am very definitely not a fan of this style of hunting, yet it is the traditional Iowa style of deer hunting, keeping mind, deer hunting is relatively "new" in Iowa (circa 1952 in ~ 50% of the states 99 counties).
I mean, obviously the concept of deer drives has been around a pretty long time...I just thought guys picked a patch of brush. This deal of Gellars is a full on strategic invasion.

I mean, obviously the concept of deer drives has been around a pretty long time...I just thought guys picked a patch of brush. This deal of Gellars is a full on strategic invasion.
once you have seen a real, Iowa-style drive, all others will simply be little pushes hardly worthy of a special term. Down south where they drive deer with dogs is much more similar to this than what you are thinking of as a drive.

Deer season is relatively new. Pretty sure people have been deer hunting in Iowa for thousands of years before they managed to basically exterminate them a 100+ years ago.

Maybe I misread your post. I wasn’t sure how it would not be considered to meet the minimum bullet diameter.
I guess I worded it wrong. A quick Google search has the specs at .357 but most of the bullets actually sold are only .355. Winchester and Hornady bullets for the 350 Legend are .355 on Midway.

We could never get enough people together to do big drives. We only had 4-5 people in ours, but ours were mostly in old river sloughs or river oxbows. Once I pushed a doe and instead of heading to the standers she took a left and dropped down onto the river bank and let us walk by and popped up about 100 yards behind us.

We could never get enough people together to do big drives. We only had 4-5 people in ours, but ours were mostly in old river sloughs or river oxbows. Once I pushed a doe and instead of heading to the standers she took a left and dropped down onto the river bank and let us walk by and popped up about 100 yards behind us.
Seen that 100 times

Interesting and timely conversation. We had a situation yesterday where a member thought another member took an unsafe shot. It was brought to my attention and we addressed it. The member knows he’s been warned.

Those small drives can be very productive.

A lot of county conservation boards have created rules for their properties regarding deer drives. What makes a drive work is when everyone knows where they are supposed to be and they stay with that plan. Having a drive on public property makes it impossible because you do not know if other groups are there. We have 2 drives that start on public property and end on private property.

I gave up deer drives about 20 years ago. We had about 10 guys originally and had some good success and a lot of fun but things got out of hand and I gave it up. We had some guys inviting new members to the group without any approval from the rest of the crew and there were a few safety issues and I said enough. I now archery hunt and muzzle load hunt solo and really enjoy this style of Iowa deer hunting.

A lot of county conservation boards have created rules for their properties regarding deer drives. What makes a drive work is when everyone knows where they are supposed to be and they stay with that plan. Having a drive on public property makes it impossible because you do not know if other groups are there. We have 2 drives that start on public property and end on private property.
Yeah, but what doesn't work is when a guy and his dog are out hunting pheasants or squirrels or ducks and has no idea there is a drive is about to commence and they find themselves at ground zero. I've had a couple of ugly experiences, one of which involved lead flying my way. A lot of it.

On private, that's not a problem, of course.

Real slow hunting the last couple of days, less deer seen, and only a few does. Yesterday was freezing rain until noon. Made it very difficult to walk through the woods. The deer were holding very tight and you almost had to step on them to move them.

I will not be hunting today as I have work obligations. I think our total is at 10 bucks and 5 does. That’s half of what we usually harvest. The dnr biologist came to collect CWD samples yesterday and he said all of the groups he talked with were saying the same.

Real slow hunting the last couple of days, less deer seen, and only a few does. Yesterday was freezing rain until noon. Made it very difficult to walk through the woods. The deer were holding very tight and you almost had to step on them to move them.

I will not be hunting today as I have work obligations. I think our total is at 10 bucks and 5 does. That’s half of what we usually harvest. The dnr biologist came to collect CWD samples yesterday and he said all of the groups he talked with were saying the same.
Interesting and surprising. I'm seeing more deer this year and I'm out less.
How do you handle meat distribution in your system?

Interesting and surprising. I'm seeing more deer this year and I'm out less.
How do you handle meat distribution in your system?
Most years everyone leaves with as many deer as they want. We have a few guys who don’t care for any so they are ok giving their meat away if they get one. I make sausage with another guy and his family so we usually put our deer together for sausage.

The group got 3 more deer today. I think we were around 20 for the season. Tomorrow is the last day of the season, but I’ll cut up deer.
We will quarter and debone them, but wait until the CWD tests come back to do anymore. The biologist said they are being sent to Colorado State University and it’s been taking around a month to get the results back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tinhunter
Back