22-250 ammo for coyote

ttinman23

New to coyote hunting. anyone with knowledge about what grain bullet for this hunt? With a 22-250

Hard to beat a 55gr. All my friends shoot it. I shoot a .204 just to be different.

Last edited:
Depends on the barrel twist, I have a 1:12 and shot the 53gr Hornady vmax at 3700 fps and group .380 @ 100 yards. Rabbits and 'Yotes die if I do my part. If the gun has a 1:9 or faster, go with a 55 grain or heavier bullet. If it is 1:10-1:12 stay in the 45-55 range, 1:14 then the 30-45 grain bullets will work.

But I also like to try every brand, every weight to see what is best.

Do you reload? I've used 55gr Sierra Gameking BTHP's for years. They are loaded by Federal, and the factory loads were very accurate in my rifle. I started reloading this bullet and can pretty well duplicate the factory load, though slowing it down a little makes it into a real tack driver.

This bullet rarely exits coyotes around here where average weight is 30-40lbs.

If you start getting into heavier bullets you are more likely to get exit wounds that tear up fur in my experience.

How big of hole do you want to make?

I run 55 vmax in mine. Leave about a softball size exit just about every time.

With fur prices how they are this year, I've been running my 5.56 with 50 TNTHP. never get an exit with this set up.

Coyote skins are bringing pretty good money right now, so If you looking at a fur friendly bullet you need it to either explode shortly after entry, like speers 52 HP or my favorite is a Barnes TXS is what ever flys in your rifle. twist is something you might need to know. longer twists like faster smaller bullets, tighter twists usually like heavier bullets.

I've had good luck with the Barnes as they rarely leave a exit bigger than a quarter to sew.

I and some others have been shooting 52 grain match sierra bullets on coyotes for years with very little fur damage. We always save pelts so small holes are important. We use 35.0 grains of IMR 4064

55 grain Hornady soft points don't do much damage out of my 22-250, and you can either buy them loaded or load your own

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back