209 primers for muzzleloader

MThuntr

Ok boys I crossed over to the darkside and bought an inline muzzleloader that uses 209 primers. I'll probably stick to real black powder as I have 5lbs on hand. I think I'm going to try 250grain Lee R.E.A.L bullet.

Most brands of shotgun primers are available here...What 209 primers are you guys using? Does it really matter?

What kind of MZ you get? Not that it really matters. Using BP I don't see a need for any special primer. There's a whole ton of info and options for bullets (I like Barnes) and propellants if you want to really get into it.

I have been using Remington STS primers since I bought my first ML. Never had a reason to change, and I am only on my second tray, so I don't have anything to compare them to. Whatever they do, it works.

MUCH easier to clean with smokeless. Hey, if you went THIS far you may as well jump in with both feet. I've been using 100gr of Triple 7 pellets and a 250gr Shockwave sabot for my deer hunting. Pretty much a puddle instead of a blood trail! Been using some CCI primers but they're almost gone. Want to try something else next time and may look for some other powder. I get a fairly nasty crud ring if I don't take the time to clean between every shot. Tight barrel... Normally, my deer is down and I have time to run a wet patch through before reloading. I can usually get a second load in it without a struggle, but not a third.

Agreed, Dave. I shoot the exact same load, and it has killed quite a few deer.

Grant, I know you like running around in that loin cloth, but you have a inline now, so you might as well just buy some pellets.

What kind of MZ you get? Not that it really matters. Using BP I don't see a need for any special primer. There's a whole ton of info and options for bullets (I like Barnes) and propellants if you want to really get into it.

It's a Traditions Durango wihich is essentially the BuckStalker but completely camo-clad. I snagged it for $150 which I thought was a deal for a NIB . I plan to put a Minox scope on it.

I'm not thrilled about using a plastic sabot at the moment hence a cast lead bullet (which is also a hobby of mine) but would consider them eventually

That Blackhorn stuff is interesting but dang it's expensive. I see it's $30-35 per 10oz. Would 10oz compare to the same volume as 16oz black powder?

Last edited:
It's a Traditions Durango wihich is essentially the BuckStalker but completely camo-clad. I snagged it for $150 which I thought was a deal for a NIB . I plan to put a Minox scope on it.

I'm not thrilled about using a plastic sabot at the moment hence a cast lead bullet (which is also a hobby of mine) but would consider them eventually

That Blackhorn stuff is interesting but dang it's expensive. I see it's $30-35 per 10oz. Would 10oz compare to the same volume as 16oz black powder?

Black Horn is nice. No big smoke cloud so you can see what happened right away and clean up awesome. Of course, this is my observations of a couple buddy's shooting at the range. I shoot the original CVA Accura and they don't make the special BH 209 breech plug for it so I have always stayed away from it. My MZ is only for hunting our late season and I am very happy with the 777 pellet load I have for it.

I do know you need to use actual shotgun primers. Most guys I hear talking about it like the CCI Magnums. I also know that it burns at higher velocities so you don't use as big a charge. Everything I've ever read about it measures by volume. If you go by weight there is a conversion formula you need to use.

While I'm here I'll add this about bullets in case you decide to try something different. The TC Shockwave, which is the same as the Hornady SST, are very accurate but it has been my experience, and many others that I know of, that they zip right through an animal doing little damage and leaving poor blood trails.

I'm kind of a newbie in this area, but I'll tell you what has worked great for me over the past couple of years.

110 gr. Blackhorn 209. Rio 209 Primer. 250 gr. Ballistic Extremes from Parker Productions

I've taken 5 shots at live animals over the past two years.

Here are my stats with this combo:

3 Elk: All one shot kills. 30 yds, 175 yds, and 235 yds.
1 Bear: 1 shot. 120 yds

Buy some Blackhorn and don't look back. It is superior to Triple 7 and Pyrodex in all ways.

Just use any standard shotgun primer with it. Blackhorn recommends a true shotgun primer, not the muzzleloader specific ones.

I killed my whitetail this year at 243 yards with 110 grains if Blackhorn and a 250 grain Shockwave. He flopped right over.

Last edited:
Dang, I'm gonna catch hell from my grandpa for this when he finds out...there will be a lengthy lecture. Looks like I need to join the heathens and buy some Blackhorn and sabots.

I only use BH 209,Barnes sabots and Win 209 shotgun primers.
Never wasted a shot yet......100 gns BH209 ,250 Barnes TEZ, Win shot primers in my TC Omega.

I have 2 in-lines I have used both Remington and Winchester 209 primers both work great but I prefer the Remingtons.
CVA Kodiak-110gr of granular triple seven with a 300gr Shockwave open sights
TC Omega - 100gr of pyrodex pellets with a 240gr TC mag express sabot with 3x9 tc hawkin hunter scope

Like all rifles you will have to experiment to find the load your gun likes best. If you're rifle has a 1:28 twist rate I would recommend looking at a sabot you will probably get better accuracy.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back