209 primers for muzzleloader

I shoot Blackhorn 209 with Powerbelt bullet. 295 for deer and 348 for elk .They have never let me down.I hear a lot of negative results with these bullets but that hasnot been my case. 4 Bull elk and probably 50 deer has been the results of Powerbelt Bullets for me.

When I was setting up my ML, I used Federal, Winchester and Remington. All worked well.

I have only used Blackhorn with Powerbelts and have been very happy.

I shoot Powerbelts as well. They are legal here in Colorado, so I just shoot them everywhere. They have killed everything I have shot them with. I shoot the 295 grain copper plated lead hollow points. All of my rifles like them, but I shoot maxiballs in my percussion rifle.

A few years ago, in my TC Triumph, I tried Blackhorn 209 & think I used 120 grains (their max) and Triple 7 pellets. Tried 3 bullets, Barnes sabot, Hornady sabot and TC Easy Lad Shockwave. The most accurate was the 150 grains of Triple 7 pellets with the TC shockwave. About 1" group at 100 yards, my rule was 3 shots without cleaning. I used Remington primers throughout. For 3 pellet loads, its best to use standard shotshell primers and NOT primers designed for muzz guns.

Barnes was/is arguably the very best bullet by far; however their sabots require almost a hammer to seat after the first shot. They about to about 1.5" with both powders.

The Hornady also shot well, and seated the easiest of the 3.

During the day shooting the gun 18 times, I cleaned after each 3 shot sequence. I noticed no significant difference between cleaning after the Blackhorn or the Triple 7. In all cases, the gun was dirty and required a good effort to clean up. I also noticed no difference in the amount of smoke. If there was a difference, I didn't notice it.

Forward 2 years and still not liking sabots, I tried Platinum Powerbelts, as they're "designed" for 150 grain charges. They shot well, 1.25" at 100. Liked them and began using them. But, after shooting 3 deer with them, I'm back looking for another bullet. While I killed the 3 deer, I am not impressed with the terminal performance in terms of the bullet fragmenting and not exiting, even on a broadside shot on a small deer.

Anybody know of a sabot that seats nicely and allows for 3 shots without cleaning?

Barnes TEZ's .
I can barely get a TMZ down the pipe after 1st shot. Bent a ram rod at the range once.

I spent some $ last night and got a few things...Harvester Sabots and some .452 Hornady SST bullets. This combination seemed to be a common suggestion online. I also got a set of High scope rings. It seems that with low and medium rings a 40mm objective touches the barrel. It looks like Blackhorn recommends Federal 209A and CCI 209M primers so those are what I'll try.

I'm still going to cast some 250grain Lee R.E.A.L bullets as those also may work in a 1:28 twist...just need to get my lead sheets turned into ingots.

I shoot 777 and 209 primers with never an issue.
I tried BlackHorn with 209 primers and had multiple hang fires and miss fires.

Only time mine ever misfired or hang fired was using less than Win or Rem 209 Shotgun Primers.
What gun are you shooting Glass Eye?

I shoot 777 and 209 primers with never an issue.
I tried BlackHorn with 209 primers and had multiple hang fires and miss fires.

You have to use magnum 209 primers will BH209 to avoid those miss fires.

Regular primers may not be hot enough.

Allow you have to have a clear channel through the breach plug to ignite the BH209 (There are some special breach plugs for it)

I'll ask a buddy who has one and uses BH & 209.
Does it have the quick release/remove breech plug? Not that it would make much difference.
Good to see you here.
Hank

I'm still going to cast some 250grain Lee R.E.A.L bullets as those also may work in a 1:28 twist...just need to get my lead sheets turned into ingots.[/QUOTE]

One thing I found with conicals is that the heavier rounds 300gr+ worked best for me in my in-lines.

BH209 with 250gr. Barnes TEZ. It's the ticket.

Be sure to WEIGH BH209. Don't pour by volume. It has a .7 conversion ratio (100 gr by volume equals 70 grains by weight). Some black powder measures (and quick loaders) are wildly inaccurate, as I found out. Most everyone who shoots BH weighs their charges.

Emrah

P.S. Go to the Modern Muzzleloader forum. Lots of experience there with nice people.

I'm still going to cast some 250grain Lee R.E.A.L bullets as those also may work in a 1:28 twist...just need to get my lead sheets turned into ingots.

One thing I found with conicals is that the heavier rounds 300gr+ worked best for me in my in-lines.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking however my CVA Express double likes them so I have the molds for the 250. Luckily muzzleloader molds are relatively cheap.

BH209 with 250gr. Barnes TEZ. It's the ticket.

Be sure to WEIGH BH209. Don't pour by volume. It has a .7 conversion ratio (100 gr by volume equals 70 grains by weight). Some black powder measures (and quick loaders) are wildly inaccurate, as I found out. Most everyone who shoots BH weighs their charges.

Emrah

Naive ml guy here. Why would I need to weigh over volume measure? Is it inconsistent? I have always poured volume and then gone quick loaders with BH.

95 gr. Blackhorn 209, 300 gr. Shockwave bullet, 209 Winchester primer. Over a dozen and a half Whitetails with this load. Began with 120 gr. of powder and worked down by 5 gr. increments until I got the best groups on the target.

Back