difference in 209 primers

fleabagmatt

I ordered a 209 starter pistol to use for training my dogs. The description on the website says it will take any 209 shotgun primer. Locally all I can find are Winchester 777 muzzleloader primers. I emailed the company to ask if they were okay to use and they confirmed that they are fine.

This leaves me wondering what the difference is between the shotgun and muzzleloader versions?

Some shotgun primers are hotter (or colder) than others. Believe the unit of measur is called brisance. I thought the modern muzzleloaders 209 primers were hotter than shotgun primers. So they can light 777 and Buckhorn, but I could be mistaken.

Should come up quickly doing a search

Some shotgun primers are hotter (or colder) than others. Believe the unit of measur is called brisance. I thought the modern muzzleloaders 209 primers were hotter than shotgun primers. So they can light 777 and Buckhorn, but I could be mistaken.

Should come up quickly doing a search
BH209 specifically says do not use muzzleloader primers. It won’t ignite it consistently.

My blank gun fires 22 blanks. But used to drill out 12ga MTY's and install 209's by hand and used the shotgun with the dogs. Down side was the brass on the case didn't hold up well at all. have though about a 209 gun now and then but my 22 is more than loud enough. Primer's in case's reemed out to take the primers by hand are not very loud. Havee no idea what new 209 primer's cost today as i have enough onhand to last awhile. Have about 30k large rifles to boot!

I traded 1000 rifle primers for 1000 Winchester 209 primers.
The person I traded with was using the Winchester 209 primers with a muzzleloader.

So for I've gone thru 500 Winchester 209 primers retriever training with a starter pistol and no problems.

I use 209 primer's in a shotgun. And I don't load heavy loads at all, pretty much only target loads even for hunting, fast burning powder's bother me! That way then the only real difference I ever found in 209 primers was who made them. I never shot a shotgun that really needed 1" groups or less at 100yds. There's reason it's a shotgun! pretty much the same with handguns. About the only thing I load is rather low velocity cast bullet loads. More of that fast burning powder stuff! I found out years ago that #6 shot at 1200fps will kill a game bird as well as the same shot at 1300fps!

Back