Caribou Gear Tarp

Old Powder

119bowhunter

I have an old Thompson Center black diamond that I haven't shot or hunted with in probably 10 years, I've decided to drag it out and hunt with it this fall (North Carolina so no crazy restrictions) I ordered a new scope for it yesterday and was looking at working up some loads for it. I'm wanting to try the Barnes TMZ sabots but I currently have a pound of FFG black powder and RS select pyrodex that are both 10+ years old as well as a couple of packs of 209 shotgun primers of the same vintage. I assume I will probably need to buy new powder and primers due to the age of my current stock? If so what is everyone using these days, and are all the new powders compatible with an older inline like my black diamond? Thanks in advance

So in my opinion, the old powder will probably work fine as long as it was stored inside in a dry climate controlled place. However, it may become somewhat inconsistent. Personally I'd practice/have fun with the old stuff and switch to a newer powder for final sighting in and hunting. Most folks are switching to Blackhorn 209, but I'm not sure what it's compatibility is with the older TC's. I had an adventure getting it to work with my older ML. 777 is still a great powder that is very easy to ignite, gives great velocity, and is relatively easy to clean. I would contact Western Powders directly before jumping in on BH209 with your current setup. They could give you a better idea on compatibility.

Good Luck!

Thanks, I ordered a pound of 777 and a new pack of primers...bought a new leupold 3x9x40 and put it on so I'm ready to start working up some loads with it!

Back