2024 Garden!

Can you elaborate on how you did the fish? It sounds like a good excuse to go fishing! The way I am picturing this is you dig your hole deeper than need be for your plant, place the fish carcass into the hole, cover it with a thin layer of soil and then plant the seed or plant on top of the fish carcass at the normal planting depth. Am I picturing that correctly or do you emulsify the fish and till them into the whole garden?. Just make sure that there are a few inches of dirt between the seedling and the fish carcass.
That is exactly how I do it. I use a post hole digger.
Just make sure that there are a few inches of dirt between the fish carcass and the seedling roots.

I have a lot of clay in my soil, so it is still way to wet to try and plant anything. I fish a lot and I bury all my fish guts, heads and tails in my garden. The trick is, if you bury fish guts in November you have to remember where you buried them come spring. Because they don't fully rot away over the winter and boy does it smell bad if you dig them up in the spring.

You till Fish carcasses into your garden?
I put a fish carcass and some compost under every tomato plant. Dad used to use a handful of bone meal and blood meal. I'm trying that this year also. We watch for when the snow goes off the mountain behind us before we plant. Seems like before that there can still be a freeze. Last year we planted a little early by using walls of water over the plants, about the end of April.

You guys are making me jealous! Here in WY we don't plant until after Memorial Day. As a newcomer to WY a couple years ago, I planted a whole garden in early May, and then watched as my garden got buried under 2 inches of snow a couple weeks later.

The fish fertilizer thing is real, and it works wonders-especially in my soil. In 2022, I planted rows of peppers, some with a banana peels and carp under them and some without them. The difference was astounding. I wish I had pictures to show, but the non-fertilized plants grew about 15-20 peppers each, and the fertilized plants gave +60 peppers each. The fertilized plants needed stakes to hold them up, because of their size, and because of the weight of the peppers on the plants. Truly amazing results.
I cant get anything to grow here successfully. 2 years ago, I had a big garden going and we had 95 mph winds come through in late june. Ripped every plant out of the ground. After that, I said no more.

I cant get anything to grow here successfully. 2 years ago, I had a big garden going and we had 95 mph winds come through in late june. Ripped every plant out of the ground. After that, I said no more.
Yep, that's Wyoming. If you feel like giving it another try, consider planting root vegetables. They might survive the wind and hail a little bit better.

Got the fruit trees pruned last weekend.
Was thinking about tilling the covering the garden area with plastic for a few months to kill any weeds, but then it snowed again. Might shoot for last weekend in Feb.

This is probably a stupid question, it’s February. It’s 75 degrees, our soil temperature is in the mid-upper 30s. Looking at the extended forecast we are calling for a low of 12 on Wednesday night, but then the lowest low is 31 and the lowest high in the extended forecast is 49 for the next 2 weeks. That puts us almost half way through March. We normally plant onions and potatoes the first 2 weeks of April. With those temperatures how early would you risk planting?

1708985581111.jpeg

Wife and I did a garden tour yesterday during our false spring. My two bee hives are alive! We pulled back the covering to find our artichokes survived the winter too!

We planned out our beds and made a seed/plant. We still have a month or so before we can start working in the boxes. We have cleanup we can do now.

I dug some of last summers carrots today, they are still very good. In a normal winter they would have winterkilled.

This is probably a stupid question, it’s February. It’s 75 degrees, our soil temperature is in the mid-upper 30s. Looking at the extended forecast we are calling for a low of 12 on Wednesday night, but then the lowest low is 31 and the lowest high in the extended forecast is 49 for the next 2 weeks. That puts us almost half way through March. We normally plant onions and potatoes the first 2 weeks of April. With those temperatures how early would you risk planting?

View attachment 317103

Had moths flying around the yard light last night.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back