2023 Montana Draw!!!!

You have to use the Hunter Search. Your FWP ALS page likley won't be updated until later today.
You have to use the Hunter Search. Your FWP ALS page likley won't be updated until later today.
I tried both methods, it’s reassuring that some people’s results took several hours to show up after others. I’m gonna chalk it up to fwp computer's being slow, maybe for Christmas I’ll buy em a commodore 128 so they can upgrade from the 64.

You didn’t draw the general combo . So you weren’t entered in permit draws . Then you got a released bg combo that someone who didn’t get a permit , elected to give back . A second draw basically . And you got a deer permit cuz you applied for an unlimited permit
Thank you.

That is what I learned, I drew the combo on a second chance because someone elected to return a combo because they didn't draw a limited permit.

However, I also drew a limited deer permit.

I don't understand how the system works that there was a limited deer permit available for me to draw on a second chance combo draw. MT is a mystery to me and I've only been studying about every western state's draw systems for 3 decades. lol.

Okay technically challenged n computer illiterate, every time I enter my “search criteria” on hunter search, it comes back w/ no search criteria entered…..what the hell am I doing wrong!!!!?????
Perhaps you are missing the yellow box that says "enter hunter search criteria". This opens a new box where you enter your info.

EDIT: Can't read. Didn't draw. :mad:

Pretty sure I was a able to snag general deer and elk with zero points from the return pool. They could not make these results postings any more confusing if they literally tried to! I'm still puzzled with the message on deer because it says I applied for a BGC and an elk permit when I didn't. I only applied for BGC. But I think I've got both elk and deer.🤷‍♂️ One of my employees from NC went in with 2 points and drew. It'll be his first western hunt. Looking forward to another season hunting MT!

1681767644823.png

Last edited:
Pretty sure I was a able to snag general deer and elk with zero points from the return pool. They could not make these results postings any more confusing if they literally tried to! I'm still puzzled with the message on deer because it says I applied for a BGC and an elk permit when I didn't. I only applied for BGC. But I think I've got both elk and deer.🤷‍♂️ One of my employees from NC went in with 2 points and drew. It'll be his first western hunt. Looking forward to another season hunting MT!

View attachment 272355
Yeh mines about the same

Successful​

2023 General - Big Game Combo

Successful Released/Retained License Definitions​

Successful Drawing Types:Explanation:What happened to my party and my preference points?
GENERAL BIG GAME COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for a big game combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released big game combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to return their combination license. This allows the department to issue this big game combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.
* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

* You were successful in drawing a license and your preference points will be set to zero.
GENERAL ELK COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for an elk combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released elk combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, if a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to retain the deer portion of their combination license. This allows the department to issue this as a deer combination license. The elk portion of this license can then be released to another applicant as an elk combination license.

A person who applied for an elk combination license and an elk permit who is unsuccessful in drawing their elk permit may choose to return their elk combination license. This allows the department to issue this elk combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.
* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the released combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a released license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

* You were successful in drawing a license and your preference points will be set to zero.
GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED)Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, you applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit, and you were unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit. In your application, you choose to retain the deer portion of the combination license for a 10% fee. This is issued as a deer combination license. * If your party number is shown in parentheses after the retained combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a retained license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

i Drew my combo in the general from the return Pool. Wow. A lot of people applying I had two points in the general

Yeh mines about the same

Successful​

2023 General - Big Game Combo

Successful Released/Retained License Definitions​

Successful Drawing Types:Explanation:What happened to my party and my preference points?
GENERAL BIG GAME COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for a big game combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released big game combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to return their combination license. This allows the department to issue this big game combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.

GENERAL ELK COMBO (RELEASED)You were unsuccessful in the initial drawing for an elk combination license. However, you were successful in drawing a released elk combination license from the pool of licenses that were returned after the initial drawing.

Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, if a person who applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit is unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit, they may choose to retain the deer portion of their combination license. This allows the department to issue this as a deer combination license. The elk portion of this license can then be released to another applicant as an elk combination license.

A person who applied for an elk combination license and an elk permit who is unsuccessful in drawing their elk permit may choose to return their elk combination license. This allows the department to issue this elk combination license to another applicant who was unsuccessful in the initial drawing.

GENERAL DEER COMBO (RETAINED)Per 87-2-511(6)(a), MCA, you applied for a big game combination license and an elk permit, and you were unsuccessful in drawing the elk permit. In your application, you choose to retain the deer portion of the combination license for a 10% fee. This is issued as a deer combination license.* If your party number is shown in parentheses after the retained combination license, then your entire party was successful in receiving a retained license. If not, then your party was separated based on the individual refund selection choices in their applications.

After reading it again, I don't think I actually drew anything. I didn't notice that the middle section was just definitions vs. my results. I think I'm outta luck :mad:.

View attachment 272355
Looking at this I DONT think you drew. Under successful it says "you do not have any successfully drawn licenses/permits for drawing.."

That successful drawing type definition I think is just an explanation that is a blanket statement sent out to explain to anyone who gets a "released tag" what they got.

Because under Not successful it says "2023 General-Big Game Combo"

I feel very confident you did not get a tag.

After reading it again, I don't think I actually drew anything. I didn't notice that the middle section was just definitions vs. my results. I think I'm outta luck :mad:.
Yup - I didn’t get a released tag like I thought I drew in the random draw

I draw a released combo and then drew a Deer limited permit. I’m surprised that I was able to draw a deer limited quota permit after not drawing a the combo on the first pass. Especially as a nonresident. I have two MT resident friends (his parents actually) that applied for the same deer permit as me that didn’t draw. I had more bonus pts but still I’m surprised it was possible.

I draw a released combo and then drew a Deer limited permit. I’m surprised that I was able to draw a deer limited quota permit after not drawing a the combo on the first pass. Especially as a nonresident. I have two MT resident friends (his parents actually) that applied for the same deer permit as me that didn’t draw. I had more bonus pts but still I’m surprised it was possible.
I dunno how that’s possible

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back