2023 Idaho Draw Results

My email from IDGF said “Thanks for the coin…you suck”! I am going to take my frustrations out on a CO bull elk or two this fall.

No moose for me again; sitting at 2 drawn tags in 28 years🤬

No moose for me again; sitting at 2 drawn tags in 28 years🤬
Right.... I'm at 26 years and only 2 that weren't unlimited draws. BuT rAnDoM iS bEtTeR! I don't agree entirely with preference points but random sucks.

Less than a minute after finding out I didn't draw I dropped over 1000 dollars to wyoming draws. Why? Cause I will draw way more tags in my lifetime and the hunting is better.

Right.... I'm at 26 years and only 2 that weren't unlimited draws. BuT rAnDoM iS bEtTeR! I don't agree entirely with preference points but random sucks.

Less than a minute after finding out I didn't draw I dropped over 1000 dollars to wyoming draws. Why? Cause I will draw way more tags in my lifetime and the hunting is better.
I hate points and yet I have quite a few in other states. That said I always get a little bummed when I hear someone draw a tag the first year they tried and express how little they really care. I’m not sure what the right answer is. Maybe let Idaho residents apply for more than one thing? Bad odds regardless but I’m in the hat more times with bad odds. Only things I’ve drawn were a cow elk tag when northern idaho had tons of them and a mule deer tag that had 75% odds the year I drew

I hate points and yet I have quite a few in other states. That said I always get a little bummed when I hear someone draw a tag the first year they tried and express how little they really care. I’m not sure what the right answer is. Maybe let Idaho residents apply for more than one thing? Bad odds regardless but I’m in the hat more times with bad odds. Only things I’ve drawn were a cow elk tag when northern idaho had tons of them and a mule deer tag that had 75% odds the year I drew
Oh yeah pure points is a scheme. Experimenting with numbers if you drop the point tags to a minimal number they make sense. If 5% of tags are point noooobody would care about points. You'd fail the random draw 4X the odds before points mattered. I put in on a 1 in 5 odds elk tag for 16 years... never drew. Pure random just means the odds are stacked against you EVERY YEAR.

Western states were never set up for the demand of the entire United States. Any system can’t handle that and a lot of people are going to be left out.

If I have one beef it is that applying for MSG locks you out of Controlled Hunts for anything else

Last edited:
I never drew, quit applying 5 years ago. Wife drew a muzzy tag about 6 years ago. Daughter drew a bull moose tag about 20 years ago. Daughter got one, wife didn’t, I won’t. No complaining on my part. Best of luck to those who draw, keep your chin up if you don’t.

Back