Caribou Gear Tarp

2023 Colorado draw results Moose/Prong/Elk/Deer

Good news: I drew a second choice rifle bull 4th Season tag.
Bad news: I didn't imagine I would draw both my second choice deer and second choice elk, both of which are 4th Season and on opposite sides of the state.

Quandary: Do I surrender the elk tag and hunt the same unit during the general OTC 2nd or 3rd season in order to hunt the deer tag, too, or do I surrender the deer tag?
which species do you enjoy hunting more? I love elk, so no chance I turn in a limited entry tag for an OTC tag

Good news: I drew a second choice rifle bull 4th Season tag.
Bad news: I didn't imagine I would draw both my second choice deer and second choice elk, both of which are 4th Season and on opposite sides of the state.

Quandary: Do I surrender the elk tag and hunt the same unit during the general OTC 2nd or 3rd season in order to hunt the deer tag, too, or do I surrender the deer tag?
I would def surrender the elk tag over the deer tag personally. Basically rutting mule deer with a rifle vs late season elk.... I'm picking deer.

which species do you enjoy hunting more? I love elk, so no chance I turn in a limited entry tag for an OTC tag
So I'm fairly new to the west-- have never had a rifle mule deer or rifle bull elk tag. Have shot a couple of cow elk, though. Elk are my primary interest but I think I can find an OTC tag with better harvest success than the fourth season one that I drew. Leaning pretty heavily toward turning it in and chasing deer.

It’s been an hour. Let’s recap what happened:
- I went to subway and grabbed lunch for my wife and I.
- My wife interviewed for a supervisor job.
- I spoke to a game warden about my elk tag in Wyoming.
- I ate lunch with my wife and discussed her interview.
- I waved at the garbage man.

CPW still hasn’t updated the site….
  • I drafted a 6-page memorandum like the professional beaurocrat I am.
  • Ignored a dozen folks on a zoom meeting
  • Popped onto FB and harassed the clown show at I Hunt Colorado group as this is the most laughable pathetic week of year for that group of whiners
  • Popped on Bowsite and did same to the guy whining "why oh why do people put in for tags they have not prescouted and then ask if anybody has knowledge"
  • Downed some smoke pork ribs at a going away lunch

oh crap 😁 I just drew a CO muzzy bull tag. Dates conflict with my open Wyoming app which I have a very very good chance to get for buck antelope in special using 6 points.

by conflict I mean CO is early in month, lope is late, no actual overlap unless I hunt archery…. I only have 10 day window for one or the other or both. Ugh… always decisions, I want to do both!

Last edited:
  • Popped onto FB and harassed the clown show at I Hunt Colorado group as this is the most laughable pathetic week of year for that group of whiners
this is the best week of the year on that FB group (for entertainment value)

the long running social media thread on here could just be a direct link to that site

So... antelope tomorrow? I'm a greenhorn from Georgia that finally drew a tag - 4th choice muley in unit 38. You gotta start somewhere! If anyone has experience in that unit, I'd appreciate any intel.

I didn't draw my second choice cow tag that in previous years has had 300 tags in the leftover. It was a NW unit that was marked to be part of the reduction, but damn I didn't think it'd be that bad.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back