2023 Arizona Archery Javelina and Deer camp

CouesKelly

Anyone interested in doing a family friendly group camp for Archery Javelina and OTC Deer? Draw tag for javelina would be 33/37a/37b hunt 5094. It is an easy draw tag and OTC coues deer will likely be open still in unit 33. If 37a or 37b quotas have not been reached yet, there is a possibility to hunt those units for deer too (unlikely though). The Javelina hunt is a good time. I will be out on this hunt either way, but thought it would be fun to invite anyone who may be interested.

Hi Kelly. Possibly. What tentative dates are you looking at? My wife (who doesn't hunt) and I look to spend time in Southern Arizona every winter. She's an award winning amateur photographer. I'm an archery hunter. She'd take photos nearby while you and I hunt.

I know I'm being a sissy here but would there be a VRBO within 30 or so minutes of where we'd hunt? I've already spent 43 days in a tent this year.

Wally

I was thinking the weekend of Jan 6th, 7th, 8th. I can be flexible though since I don't live too far from the units. Oro Valley, AZ probably has the nicest VRBO close by, but the town of Catalina and Oracle are closer. All short drives to good hunting in the area.

Sounds like a good time., but I usually winter a few months in florence, but should be hunting javelina north of wickenburg this year with friends

I'll talk to my wife and get back to you via pm within a few days. Thank you for the offer. I'm hoping our schedule makes this possible!

My guess is my friends and I aren’t family friendly enough

Just know that AZ G&F Commission just limited the NR OTC archery deer tags to only 2,890 tags sold……first come-first served beginning in December of 2022. So getting an OTC deer tag for a NR’s is no longer a guarantee.

Just know that AZ G&F Commission just limited the NR OTC archery deer tags to only 2,890 tags sold……first come-first served beginning in December of 2022. So getting an OTC deer tag for a NR’s is no longer a guarantee.
Good call out. Lots of changes to the OTC deer hunts this year. Important to know before you go for sure!

I know this is an old thread but curious if anything ever came of it. I remember when we used to group hunts like this on archerytalk and it was always a good time. If you feel like trying it again sometime I’d come out if I can make it.

coueske
Yes @Wallydeuce has come out to hunt the past 2 years. Lots of fun! If you are interested in coming out next year send me a PM this fall if you are going to apply and we can talk details.
do hunt the august hunts for the otc archery ? if so do you prefer the high elevations like in the sky’s and up on the rim or sitting water in lower hotter areas?

coueske

do hunt the august hunts for the otc archery ? if so do you prefer the high elevations like in the sky’s and up on the rim or sitting water in lower hotter areas?
They are all over the mountains. From the top all the way down to the foothills. Once you get into the flats it is more mule deer country. In August otc I have hunted them at all the elevations but prefer the middle to lower country. Really just depends on where you are finding them at the time.

Yes @Wallydeuce has come out to hunt the past 2 years. Lots of fun! If you are interested in coming out next year send me a PM this fall if you are going to apply and we can talk details.
I appreciate it! I’ll definitely be in touch and hopefully we can connect and have a good time in the hills chasing critters

If you want to learn how to hunt Coues deer, you won't find a better mentor than Kelly. This lady is a serious hunter and generous with her knowledge, not to mention easy to be around.

I'm an experienced Mule deer archery hunter and I've learned loads from her on Coues tactics. They are tough to find and kill. Weather hasn't been helpful these past two years but I've had a blast!
I'm joining her next January in another hunt.

If you want to learn how to hunt Coues deer, you won't find a better mentor than Kelly. This lady is a serious hunter and generous with her knowledge, not to mention easy to be around.

I'm an experienced Mule deer archery hunter and I've learned loads from her on Coues tactics. They are tough to find and kill. Weather hasn't been helpful these past two years but I've had a blast!
I'm joining her next January in another hunt.
That’s awesome and what it’s all about. Hopefully I can join you guys in the adventure!

Back