N Arizona javelina w/ decent roads

bisblue

Hey folks,
Planning on chasing javelina with my recurve in February with a HAM tag. I'm coming from central Idaho and would love to drive my lifted vw diesel station wagon (like a Subaru clearance, but fwd) since I get close to 40 mpg.

Anyone have a northern AZ unit that has a few decent roads to chase javelina? I was looking at 18a/b or 17a/b.

I've hunted north of there but would need a truck to get to where I found them.. I'd prefer not to drive my diesel with 360k down there, it likes a relaxed unhurried pace. Prefer to hike some on the hunt.

I lived in the Mojave desert for close to 10 years so I know how varied desert roads can be in terms of condition.

I have never hunted Javelina but two years ago we hunted elk in 18A just north of I40 and West of Seligman. We saw Javelina every day. They would just come walking by. I swear a couple of times I could have clubbed them with a tree branch. Their are lots of perfectly good roads there as long as it doesn't rain or snow to turn them into mud. You just have to watch yourself because it's checkerboarded public/private land.

18's tough just because of the checkboarded private. lots of good roads though. don't know 17.

Hey folks,
Planning on chasing javelina with my recurve in February with a HAM tag. I'm coming from central Idaho and would love to drive my lifted vw diesel station wagon (like a Subaru clearance, but fwd) since I get close to 40 mpg.

Anyone have a northern AZ unit that has a few decent roads to chase javelina? I was looking at 18a/b or 17a/b.

I've hunted north of there but would need a truck to get to where I found them.. I'd prefer not to drive my diesel with 360k down there, it likes a relaxed unhurried pace. Prefer to hike some on the hunt.

I lived in the Mojave desert for close to 10 years so I know how varied desert roads can be in terms of condition.

Did you draw a tag?

Right on......what unit? Been some serious winter weather here lately. I've got 18" of fresh snow at my place.....of course no Javelina up here where I'm at, but the desert units got plenty of moisture as well.

Right on......what unit? Been some serious winter weather here lately. I've got 18" of fresh snow at my place.....of course no Javelina up here where I'm at, but the desert units got plenty of moisture as well.
I've got a 10/18a tag and leftover 18b. Shooting a stick bow I figure the more experience the better.

A friend mentioned that deer and javelina hunting were currently wonky with all the moisture.

Unfortunately I can't help with the javelina, but if you want a little side adventure you can actually drive down to the Colorado River from Peach Springs and see some of the Grand Canyon from the bottom.

Good luck bisblue. I'll be in the same units (10/18A) with a buddy, starting this weekend. The weather should make it interesting!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back