Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2022 Kotzebue Caribou hunt booked

What was your experience with GE like? I'm booked with them for next year.
GE is the best up there, IMO. Jared and his family live in Kotz year round and he flies year round not just hunting season. He has a hanger and a partner, along with family that can support flying as needed. He's built quite a business over the last 10+ years. I think they have 4 or 5 planes up there now. He recently bought a turbine Otter. Fast, dependable and can do 3x what a 206 can from the same length strip.

I've flown with them before, for work and play. Good guys, born and raised Alaskans that know their chiz.

The problem with that country is the weather. Nothing any of the outfits can do about it. I've been stranded in the field for work more times than not due to fog. Once it sets in, it can remain for days.

Seems most people want a guaranteed kill on these hunts. The caribou are unpredictable on short time lines. They all do their best, but weather can predicate where you end up... and for how long

I flew with GE on my first sheep hunt in Kotz. The area is closed now, due to bad winter kills. Jared went above and beyond to make it the fun and successful. Still one of the best hunts I've ever been on, in the wildest country left in the US.

Looks like we'll but up there around the same time, doing the same thing. My buddy and I booked with Golden Eagle for Aug. 2022.

Since you're local to me, and have done similar trips, mind if I (and my buddy) bounce questions off you?
Hey man, Not sure how I missed this but yes of course. I will help you out any way I can. Thanks!

So Like a lot of other folks I never ended up going on this hunt with Arctic Air. Since then Arctic Air was purchased by Gary Colburn of Unguided Alaska. He was gracious enough to honor our deposit that was paid to Arctic. We are finally headed to Kotz 8/12-8/20. Since unit 23 is still closed because of the Federal Subsistence Board crap we will be hunting noth of it in unit 26. Has anyone ever hunted that area before? My question is what type of waders if any should I take? Breathable chest waders with wading boots? Hip waders? Wiggies? Leather boots with rain pants and gaiters? I'm pretty sure we will be in wheeled planes.

So Like a lot of other folks I never ended up going on this hunt with Arctic Air. Since then Arctic Air was purchased by Gary Colburn of Unguided Alaska. He was gracious enough to honor our deposit that was paid to Arctic. We are finally headed to Kotz 8/12-8/20. Since unit 23 is still closed because of the Federal Subsistence Board crap we will be hunting noth of it in unit 26. Has anyone ever hunted that area before? My question is what type of waders if any should I take? Breathable chest waders with wading boots? Hip waders? Wiggies? Leather boots with rain pants and gaiters? I'm pretty sure we will be in wheeled planes.
Good luck. I'll be in 26b Aug 9-19. First timer to AK. Like you I have tons of questions. My current plan is lightweight trout waders w wading boots, bc they weigh the same as muck boots. Will also have Crispis w gaiters in case we end up in drier areas. 🤷‍♂️

We're flying floats though.

Good luck. I'll be in 26b Aug 9-19. First timer to AK. Like you I have tons of questions. My current plan is lightweight trout waders w wading boots, bc they weigh the same as muck boots. Will also have Crispis w gaiters in case we end up in drier areas. 🤷‍♂️

We're flying floats though.
I will recommend AGAINST the stocking foot waders with wading boots.

In 2015, I went to Alaska for moose in the Yukon Delta region. We flew with floats. I took stocking foot hipboots (plenty tall) and wading boots thinking they would be easier for walking.

Day after day, those things got really uncomfortable. But more importantly I realized I was really lucky that we had warm conditions. Had it been cold, my feet would have gone hypothermic and I'd have ended up stranded in camp. They were cold enough as it was. The boots got wet from daily rain, and never dried out. Wading boots and stocking feet waders will always get wet and stay that way, and then they are cold and no amount of socks will save you.

Buy a pair of insulated LaCrosse hipboots and call it good. Leave the trout fishing gear at home.

I will recommend AGAINST the stocking foot waders with wading boots.

In 2015, I went to Alaska for moose in the Yukon Delta region. We flew with floats. I took stocking foot hipboots (plenty tall) and wading boots thinking they would be easier for walking.

Day after day, those things got really uncomfortable. But more importantly I realized I was really lucky that we had warm conditions. Had it been cold, my feet would have gone hypothermic and I'd have ended up stranded in camp. They were cold enough as it was. The boots got wet from daily rain, and never dried out. Wading boots and stocking feet waders will always get wet and stay that way, and then they are cold and no amount of socks will save you.

Buy a pair of insulated LaCrosse hipboots and call it good. Leave the trout fishing gear at home.
I’ll second that. I spent a few mornings on a September moose hunt thawing my boots because they were frozen.

I prefer waste waders over hip boots you can sit down and don’t have to deal with rain pants. I’ve used bootfoot waders with good results but the ones I have the boots lace up snug.

Sitka Delta waders are breathable and have a zippered front to open up and air out. I wear them for 60+ days straight in December and January in the desert where it can be in the 80s in January. Most comfortable wader boots I’ve ever worn.
I will be wearing them in 26b for the 5 mile hike. Actually I plan on paddling upstream beyond the 5 miles and then floating out.

Sitka are expensive but worth it.

Sitka Delta waders are breathable and have a zippered front to open up and air out. I wear them for 60+ days straight in December and January in the desert where it can be in the 80s in January. Most comfortable wader boots I’ve ever worn.
I will be wearing them in 26b for the 5 mile hike. Actually I plan on paddling upstream beyond the 5 miles and then floating out.

Sitka are expensive but worth it.
They must have good ankle support if you are planning on walking 5 tundra miles in them?

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back