Caribou Gear Tarp

2022 CO deer w/ goats

Status
Not open for further replies.
8+ miles from a road is going to be more of a limiting factor than 1 pref point. According to this article, the furthest point from a road in CO is 10.2 miles: https://www.outtherecolorado.com/adventures/the-hike-to-the-most-remote-spot-in-colorado/article_4317144d-8782-52bc-a06d-632692a0ce99.html

Even if you mean 8 trail miles, there just aren't that many places in CO. I have been to 2 that I can think of.
Not to sure about that. And yes I’m saying trail miles. I’ve looked at the CO map for the last couple of days and it’s fairly apparent that most of the areas in CO you cannot get terrible far in, not like WY, ID, NV.... thanks for the info.
Matt

I am aware NAPGA was fighting that BS....
Oh you must be referring to this BS. Where their BS science found BS pathogens that are known to give free ranging bighorn sheep BS pneumonia.

“The goats in this study were in generally good health, although most goats did harbor various pathogens and parasites including several bacteria, specifically Pasteurellaceae, which have been associated with pneumonia in free-ranging bighorn sheep.”

I do wish you good luck on your hunt, but just rent some llamas for your once in a lifetime CO high country trip. There are several llama outfitters in CO and some will even deliver to your trailhead.

Oh you must be referring to this BS. Where their BS science found BS pathogens that are known to give free ranging bighorn sheep BS pneumonia.

“The goats in this study were in generally good health, although most goats did harbor various pathogens and parasites including several bacteria, specifically Pasteurellaceae, which have been associated with pneumonia in free-ranging bighorn sheep.”

I do wish you good luck on your hunt, but just rent some llamas for your once in a lifetime CO high country trip. There are several llama outfitters in CO and some will even deliver to your trailhead.

You understand there are plenty of places to take his goats that do not have bighorn sheep, right?

Yes I do understand that. If he wants to limit himself to those units then I guess go ahead and drag the goats down to CO.

From the wild sheep foundations biased paper

“Conclusions/Significance
M. ovipneumoniae strains carried by domestic goats were transmitted to comingled bighorn sheep, triggering development of pneumonia. However, the severity of the disease was markedly milder than that seen in similar experiments with domestic sheep strains of the bacterium.”

This right here is why I feel that pack goaters are getting the shaft! Yes some it’s “possible” for them to transfer it to a bighorn but is pretty much non fatal.... and I doubt any pack goat person is going to pen there stock up with bighorns in the wild 😜
“ with relatively little fatal bighorn sheep pneumonia observed in two experimental comingling studies with domestic goats (22% of 9 bighorn sheep). Domestic goats may transmit respiratory pathogens when they contact bighorn sheep”
“However, contrary to previous studies that utilized domestic sheep carrying M. ovipneumoniae, the respiratory disease observed following experimental contact with domestic goats carrying M. ovipneumo- niae was relatively mild, resulting in no fatalities.”

“All bighorn sheep kept in captivity under very similar conditions, but without contact with goats (experiment 1 pen 2) or in contact with M. ovipneumoniae-free goats (experi- ment 2, pen 1) did not develop signs of pneumonia.”

So in conclusion my goats don’t have pneumonia will not transfer anything to bighorn sheep! So a proactive pack goater like me will not have an impact on bighorn sheep! So please tell me why I shouldn’t be able to pack anywhere I want to w my packgoats?
Matt

Well I was about to just say “good luck on your hunt” but this is just stupid. Of course I am aware that not all goats have MOVI.

However, the severity of the disease was markedly milder than that seen in similar experiments with domestic sheep strains of the bacterium.”
So you think you should be able to take your goats wherever you want because they CAN give bighorns pneumonia, but that’s okay because it’s just mild pneumonia?
“However, contrary to previous studies that utilized domestic sheep carrying M. ovipneumoniae, the respiratory disease observed following experimental contact with domestic goats carrying M. ovipneumo- niae was relatively mild, resulting in no fatalities.”
Just because no fatalities were noted doesn’t mean there aren’t negative impacts to herds like reduced lamb recruitment.
my goats don’t have pneumonia will not transfer anything to bighorn sheep!
Your goats don’t have to actively have pneumonia to transmit the pathogens that cause pneumonia in bighorns. Are you aware of that?

How often are your goats tested for viruses, bacteria (like Pasteurellaceae), and parasites? A responsible goat packer would test them before every trip into bighorn country, wouldn’t they?

Last post on this thread:

Bighorn sheep range in yellow. Not much high country for you to chose from if you’re avoiding bighorn sheep in CO.0329D6C1-509A-4CFB-85A8-DAC5D11BC3BA.jpeg

Not much yellow in there? You colorblind?
For Christ sake PALE yellow. Do you prefer tan? Is that better? Basically every bit of alpine in the state is shaded pale yellow to indicate bighorn sheep range.

The tiny bit of bright yellow is walk in areas.

For Christ sake PALE yellow. Do you prefer tan? Is that better? Basically every bit of alpine in the state is shaded pale yellow to indicate bighorn sheep range.

The tiny bit of bright yellow is walk in areas.
Point is there is a thread for discussing this already as to not muck this thread up. I suggest finding and ranting on that one.

Well I was about to just say “good luck on your hunt” but this is just stupid. Of course I am aware that not all goats have MOVI.

So you think you should be able to take your goats wherever you want because they CAN give bighorns pneumonia, but that’s okay because it’s just mild pneumonia?

Just because no fatalities were noted doesn’t mean there aren’t negative impacts to herds like reduced lamb recruitment.

Your goats don’t have to actively have pneumonia to transmit the pathogens that cause pneumonia in bighorns. Are you aware of that?

How often are your goats tested for viruses, bacteria (like Pasteurellaceae), and parasites? A responsible goat packer would test them before every trip into bighorn country, wouldn’t they?
Hey there stud know it all.... all my goats are ivamec’d, CD&T, and checked at 2 years old for MOVI. And every other stupid vaccination that they don’t need cause it kills the good bacteria in there digestive system! Because 4-H requires it for my children to kick all the other kid’s ass at fair. My goats are so good they made a rule you can only show 1 goat in pack, all other categories you can show 3-4! And since they’ve been doing that since I got goats 9 years ago pretty sure my goats are some of the most disease free goats out there! Take your BS and go shovel elsewhere, @Big Fin you can close this thread now please.
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back