Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2021 Nevada Antelope

huntandfly

Well, this is my first year applying in Nevada, and as expected I did not draw. However, I read about the new FCFS site and after some seriously unhealthy computer screen monitoring for a couple days I managed to snag a high quality antelope unit. Hunt started Sunday, but I can’t make it up until Friday, and I will have 2.5 days to hunt. This will only be my second antelope hunt, so I am pretty excited about it!

I will post updates as the weekend approaches. Taking a tent and quad, will be covering as much ground as I possibly can

Well, this is my first year applying in Nevada, and as expected I did not draw. However, I read about the new FCFS site and after some seriously unhealthy computer screen monitoring for a couple days I managed to snag a high quality antelope unit. Hunt started Sunday, but I can’t make it up until Friday, and I will have 2.5 days to hunt. This will only be my second antelope hunt, so I am pretty excited about it!

I will post updates as the weekend approaches. Taking a tent and quad, will be covering as much ground as I possibly can
Nice

You didn't mention what area you have but you shouldn't have any problem finding antelope.
We've hunted them in several eastern units and there was never a shortage of bucks to look over.
Good luck to you.

Well, this hunt was a great lesson in expectation management. With only a couple days to hunt and no scouting beforehand, I should have set my sights slightly lower as far as harvest expectation. I was spoiled on my only other antelope hunt in a unit in Wyoming where there was a goat around every corner, and that definitely wasn’t the case this weekend.

I put in about 55 miles on the 4 wheeler and many hours behind the glass and saw a total of 24 antelope. I passed 2 average sized bucks the first morning (pictured below).

This morning I rode for 3 hours before seeing my first bunch of antelope, which had a good buck in it. I snuck into position and took a 250 yard shot that I was very comfortable with. The buck took off with the does, making me think it was a clean miss. I decided to walk over and check just to make sure, and my heart sunk when I saw a couple small drops of blood. I followed the trail for a slow 3/4 mile mostly just on small flecks of blood on the occasional rock. He never left the does and never quit running judging by the tracks. I was super bummed, I can’t recall when I have had this happen before and it was a very humbling experience. The buck was slightly quartering to and I think I held too far forward and pushed the shot left as well, hopefully just grazing the brisket, but I will never know for sure.

After that I checked out and headed straight back to the truck to head for home. Whirlwind trip where I learned a lot more about antelope hunting and got humbled for the first time in a while. Hopefully I will learn from this one and try again on Nevada antelope in a few years.B42E2A7F-EE10-41B5-AAC6-90C6E8DE7988.png1E388207-E82C-4746-9F0C-CB4DCA7A47A5.png8D417979-D7C3-46DC-9FB2-BFE0C022F655.jpeg8913C204-7D95-476E-9532-EF1887676F13.jpeg50D6BF36-7C64-4872-A20B-C5822DF48EC4.jpegB067821D-163B-48B6-B97D-6404E843AEEF.jpeg

I want to draw something, anything really in Nevada to spend a couple weeks in that country.

Sorry that it didn’t work out the way that you wanted, but looks like you got some to me in beautiful country

Well, this hunt was a great lesson in expectation management. With only a couple days to hunt and no scouting beforehand, I should have set my sights slightly lower as far as harvest expectation. I was spoiled on my only other antelope hunt in a unit in Wyoming where there was a goat around every corner, and that definitely wasn’t the case this weekend.

I put in about 55 miles on the 4 wheeler and many hours behind the glass and saw a total of 24 antelope. I passed 2 average sized bucks the first morning (pictured below).

This morning I rode for 3 hours before seeing my first bunch of antelope, which had a good buck in it. I snuck into position and took a 250 yard shot that I was very comfortable with. The buck took off with the does, making me think it was a clean miss. I decided to walk over and check just to make sure, and my heart sunk when I saw a couple small drops of blood. I followed the trail for a slow 3/4 mile mostly just on small flecks of blood on the occasional rock. He never left the does and never quit running judging by the tracks. I was super bummed, I can’t recall when I have had this happen before and it was a very humbling experience. The buck was slightly quartering to and I think I held too far forward and pushed the shot left as well, hopefully just grazing the brisket, but I will never know for sure.

After that I checked out and headed straight back to the truck to head for home. Whirlwind trip where I learned a lot more about antelope hunting and got humbled for the first time in a while. Hopefully I will learn from this one and try again on Nevada antelope in a few years.View attachment 192823View attachment 192824View attachment 192825View attachment 192826View attachment 192827View attachment 192828
Sorry it didn't meet your expectations but it sounds like a great experience and next time you'll connect.

Back