Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2021 Idaho Draw Results!

On a side note and another example of Idaho's current dysfunction, I purchased an 11A general deer tag on Dec 1st, 2020 in prep for this fall due to the unit cap BS. Well, last week I received a letter in the mail indicating they have removed this hunt and I needed to mail in and exchange my tag for a whitetail-only tag. My family has been hunting that tag during archery for over a decade and with no warning and no sense about the removal, they removed the hunt entirely. I had flights booked and plans in place to stay with my parents in Lewiston for a week. Akin to the ID Sheep Draw fiasco. To say I was pissed is an understatement. I'm not exactly sure who is steering the ship over at IDFG but someone needs to take off their belt and start whipping these derelicts for bad behavior. They just can't seem to do anything right these days.

In other words, "Maybe tomorrow, but maybe not. Whatever." :cool:
I guess. I wish they would just say, "check back on Friday when we release the results." And referencing Nevada once again who do it right - NV actually gives everyone a heads up and creates buzz around the results so folks know when to expect the release. It builds the excitement and you know it is being done right, with no errors, and they release the results early. Idaho just needs to get a handle on the complexity of their system and partner with a 3rd party that will simplify the draw process and reduce the pain and agony year after year. The process is managed poorly and it's wrought with errors and rework.

On a side note and another example of Idaho's current dysfunction, I purchased an 11A general deer tag on Dec 1st, 2020 in prep for this fall due to the unit cap BS. Well, last week I received a letter in the mail indicating they have removed this hunt and I needed to mail in and exchange my tag for a whitetail-only tag. My family has been hunting that tag during archery for over a decade and with no warning and no sense about the removal, they removed the hunt entirely. I had flights booked and plans in place to stay with my parents in Lewiston for a week. Akin to the ID Sheep Draw fiasco. To say I was pissed is an understatement. I'm not exactly sure who is steering the ship over at IDFG but someone needs to take off their belt and start whipping these derelicts for bad behavior. They just can't seem to do anything right these days.
As I understand it, they are eliminating the use of the "general tag" for that hunt because it only allows for the harvest of whitetail deer anyway. They did not eliminate the hunt itself. None of your plans need to change.

As I understand it, they are eliminating the use of the "general tag" for that hunt because it only allows for the harvest of whitetail deer anyway. They did not eliminate the hunt itself. None of your plans need to change.
Incorrect, with the general tag we could chase WT and MD both on the same tag. The area we hunt is predominately mule deer; canyon country adjacent to agriculture. We have permission to hunt friends' private farms which is really neat but with few WT it makes it less of an attraction. Not to say we couldn't find the public areas with WT or knock on doors and keep our plans, but having to commit so far in advance only to have the rug yanked out from under us is what makes it feel like we got screwed. I actually haven't made up my mind to keep the tag or not because I'm still waiting on these damn ID draw results. If a I draw a deer tag I have to give up my general tag anyway. So it would be nice to get this over with so I know what I am doing in T-minus 8 weeks. If I don't draw, I may just exchange for the darn WTO tag and see what we can turn up in 11A. We shall see.

Incorrect, with the general tag we could chase WT and MD both on the same tag. The area we hunt is predominately mule deer; canyon country adjacent to agriculture. We have permission to hunt friends' private farms which is really neat but with few WT it makes it less of an attraction. Not to say we couldn't find the public areas with WT or knock on doors and keep our plans, but having to commit so far in advance only to have the rug yanked out from under us is what makes it feel like we got screwed. I actually haven't made up my mind to keep the tag or not because I'm still waiting on these damn ID draw results. If a I draw a deer tag I have to give up my general tag anyway. So it would be nice to get this over with so I know what I am doing in T-minus 8 weeks. If I don't draw, I may just exchange for the darn WTO tag and see what we can turn up in 11A. We shall see.
*"Incorrect, with the general tag we could chase WT and MD both on the same tag" - on the archery portion only. Sorry, need to clarify that.

Idaho just needs to get a handle on the complexity of their system and partner with a 3rd party that will simplify the draw process and reduce the pain and agony year after year. The process is managed poorly and it's wrought with errors and rework.
Idaho draws were being handled well and were cheaper before the legislature forced them to be held by an independent contractor. Now they are all over the place.
As stated they have regularly come out around July 4 since before the internet. The last couple years have been the exception.

Idaho draws were being handled well and were cheaper before the legislature forced them to be held by an independent contractor. Now they are all over the place.
As stated they have regularly come out around July 4 since before the internet. The last couple years have been the exception.

And I'm guessing whichever one of the wingnuts that wrote the bill has a brother-in-law that just happens to be an independent contractor...

I understand. You purchased your tag in December and between then and publishing the 2021 regulations book the archery mule deer opportunity was eliminated. That seems like a strange season to eliminate.

What was the reasoning for going through an independent contractor?

And I'm guessing whichever one of the wingnuts that wrote the bill has a brother-in-law that just happens to be an independent contractor...
Idaho hunters are paying atleast 100k every year.
Brackett introduced the bill as part of his war on Idaho fish and game. He was also trying to get unlimited land owner tags in (at the time) Idahos 2nd best elk unit, keep f&g employees from being able to participate in the draw and force the sale of more tags at auction so his friends could buy them.
He as since ruined the separation of f&g from politics forced out many good employees and ruined some amazing elk hunting units by forcing f&g to either open the hunts as a general hunt or bend to his will.
I have no idea how he can claim to keep his oath.

What was the reasoning for going through an independent contractor?
He said he wasn't pointing fingers but..... f&g employees were drawing to many tags. Despite independent audits finding absolute random results.
He has been at war with f&g for years.
As of lately he is winning and it sucks for hunters.

He said he wasn't pointing fingers but..... f&g employees were drawing to many tags. Despite independent audits finding absolute random results.
He has been at war with f&g for years.
As of lately he is winning and it sucks for hunters.
I assumed it would have to do with something like that where people were accused of drawing too many tags but didn’t want to assume.

pssssttt... may want to keep that opinion under your hat, even if I agree with you. Nothing, NOTHING gets an Idaho resident's hackles up faster than being told what we should do by a Californian.

Just a little tip.
I hear you!!! Haha we all know that state (California) has screwed everything up… this is one thing we can all agree on…

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrGeauxNewMexico
Back