2020 Montana deer recap

900 archery deer tag Aug 15 - Sept 15 (statewide)
General deer October 1-31
Archery special November 10-30 (region specific)
Rifle Special November 10-30 (50 permits tops per district)

Maybe a limited entry muzzy? Instead of special rifle permit?

Private land doe tags

Thoughts?

Anything different would be better.

I wouldn’t mind something along the lines of how ID does some of their elk tags. An A tag would give you a long archery season with a real short rifle season and a B tag would give you a short archery season with a long rifle season.

Private land doe tags

Thoughts?
Don’t bring the muzzleloader season in. Then the next thing people will bitch about is that they want special specific trad bow seasons

If guys would just shoot a doe instead of shooting a spike or a fork horn Montana would be awesome.

Guys just cant stand going home without tiny little horns.....Never understood that.
I agree with you....but, The problem though is that there will never be enough guys to do this to make a noticeable difference. You have to make the hunting more difficult by changing season structure or make other changes to limit how many bucks are killed.

Hi Folks,

Long time lurker to this site and others but first time poster to HT. Have hunted in eastern Montana annually for well over a decade now (typically the second or third week of November). We only hunt public land and block management and like most years we saw an abundance of both whitetail and muley does and bucks and out of the four of us we harvested two muleys, a 24" four point and a 27" four point. Saw some large white tail bucks on private but really didn't see any giant muley bucks on either public or private. Also didn't see a single boot print besides our own while hunting.

Are we to manage deer solely on trophy expectations? Many people will sacrifice hunting opportunities to get a better chance to get a big deer.

Others like to have long seasons with more weekend chances than other states that have shorter seasons and higher concentrations of hunters in those allotted times.

Not everyone can be satisfied by season vs trophies. Somebody has to get less, it can’t be both ways.

Are we to manage deer solely on trophy expectations? Many people will sacrifice hunting opportunities to get a better chance to get a big deer.

Others like to have long seasons with more weekend chances than other states that have shorter seasons and higher concentrations of hunters in those allotted times.

Not everyone can be satisfied by season vs trophies. Somebody has to get less, it can’t be both ways.
In a state the size of Montana it absolutely could be both ways.

In a state the size of Montana it absolutely could be both ways.
Absolutely. I think a lot of people have the misconception that anyone wanting change wants nothing more than big deer for themselves. If shooting a 2 year old buck makes you happy and gives you a great memory, by all means shoot it and I’ll be the first to congratulate you. I think we can kind of have our cake and eat it too though to some degree with some management changes. A season that doesn’t encompass the entire rut still gives anyone putting forth some effort an opportunity to take a deer but allows more bucks to get a year older. I live where it was done. It’s undeniable.

17andcounting knows exactly how to stir the pot. But the more people that can see what we are doing isn’t working the better. Change is unlikely anytime in the foreseeable future. A healthy deer herd that doesn’t benefit private land and outfitters is something everybody should get on board with.

I wish the debate was just about more opportunity or more trophies.
Since I started hunting in the late 70's there has been a march towards tragedy of the commons on public land and the king's deer on private land. I hope we never get there but I am afraid we will soon if we don't make some adjustments.

Last edited:

Private land doe tags

Thoughts?
That looks like a lot of opportunity to me. No need to sacrifice opportunity for better hunting.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back