Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2020 big game draw and Covid-19

Hookedonelk

Just curious, anyone waiting till the last minute to put in for big game draws to see what happens in the next week with the virus? Worried about travel bans still being in place come fall? Or just saying screw it, send in, and if you draw the tag and can’t go just lose your points?

Yesterday I applied for a tag for most species and a point for the others here in Nevada. I‘ve been just buying elk points until I had a year where I could take at least 7 days to hunt and this is that year. I should be at the top of the point pool so I’ve got high hopes. But it is Nevada so there is zero guarantee. Because of these there are some hints that won’t line up. I feel very blessed right now because my business is having the opposite affect on us than most. Part of our businesses is biohazard cleanup. Until now it’s been humans or human waste. Now we have been getting lots of Coronavirus decontamination.

I bet there is a good number of people waiting just to see what they want to risk points on. If I had to close shop for a month and wasn’t sure if I would have the time or funds to get the most out of the elk tag I’m hoping for then I would have just bought a point. I wouldn’t want to finally draw then only be able to hunt a couple weekends especially since I would have to wait 7 years before I can even apply again. It would most likely be 14 years before I would have a chance to hunt that unit again. I think that will be the biggest affect on the draw. I’m guessing more people will be just buying points instead of entering the draw.

I figure many have already paid for their hunt so it won't likely affect them. The virus should have run it's course before fall but folks that have held off paying for their draw till the last minute might change their minds about entering if money is tight. I also know of someone that won't be buying a secondary hunt this year due to lack of work because of the virus and I'm sure there are others in the same boat. If it does affect the draw folks might still get a chance with leftover license later in the year if their money situation is better.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back