2019 SE Alaska Black Bear

Congrads to all the guys ! Very nice Bruin you have there !! I have to stop reading the Alaska bear hunts I'm getting goose bumps! What a great looking place !
I just googled it and it said cant find a route COOL !!
I'm going to look into it !
Road Trip from Montana !! Heck yes !!
Thanks for sharing this adventure with us !
It might just be a dream ...but ya never know !!

MT.PERCHMAN

Not cost effective/time appropriate. You would have to either drive to Haines or rupert and take a ferry... so like a 36 hour drive and then a ferry, the drive would go through Canada so you would have to deal with getting guns and an animal through customs, or you could drive 12+ hours to WA and take the ferry from Bellingham to Ketchikan... for 1 person + vehicle that's going to run you $1240 round trip, and then you have to take another ferry from Ketchikan to get on POW round trip that's $340 so you are looking at around $1600 in Ferry costs + 5 or so days of travel.

Plane tickets from Denver to Ketchikan for me and my FIL cost ~$500 with AK airlines card, baggage fees were $80 and total travel time including layovers was 6hrs.

Point being driving would be a cool way to do it if you have a ton of time (I've taken the ferry up... it's a fun trip), but it's probably the same cost if not more expensive than flying and renting a car.
Yeah... what he said. And the place I was hunting doesn’t even have a road system. So even if you took the ferry, you’d still need to rent a boat to hunt Kuiu. I flew for free on my Alaska Airlines credit card points. Booked the tickets like 11 months ago.

nice. thanks for posting. i've been up twice and a blackie is getting higher on my bucket list. please post some more pics if you have time.. did you do any fishing, crabbing or shrimping?

I spent some time on Kuiu Island when I was in college, working for the USFS in the summer. There is some outstanding cutthroat fishing in the streams. The island was filthy with bears. And, I observed the fine art of salmon fishing with a Ruger Blackhawk, courtesy of the local loggers.

He walked about 65 yards straight away from me, presenting only a butt-shot. With the famously-thick Alaska rain forest just beyond the creek, I was prepared to wave good-bye if he continued walking. Fortunately, at 365 yards, he stopped and turned broadside. By this time, my heart rate had settled, and I was ready. I applied pressure to the trigger, and the shot flipped him into the creek. But... unbelievably... he got to his feet and made it (uphill!) into the brush. I couldn't believe it. What had happened? I walked the 365 yards to find his exit trail lined with bright red lung blood. That made me feel better. Dad then jumped off the boat and ran up the beach to join me. We found him piled up maybe thirty yards into the brush, directly under a moss-covered fallen spruce log.
View attachment 107210
View attachment 107211
View attachment 107212
Boy, he's a toad! A super bear.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back