MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2019 Rifle elk

rmauch20

Looking for a partner or putting a group together for hunting trips.

I am not much of a self promoter, but I give this a shot. Born and raised in western Kansas. Still live in western Kansas. Grew up hunting deer, quail, and pheasants. Finally got off my ass and went on a elk trip in 2017 to unit 12 in Colorado with a couple other guys. Learned a bunch and good time for the most part. Went to Wyoming last year for antelope and plan on going back this year. A friend is planning on going with me to Wyoming but he doesn’t have a lot of interest in elk or mule deer at this point. Currently building points in Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, and I’m getting to the point game in Arizona. I can do about two trips a year Between family work time constraints. Hunting is really my only bad habit I have left. I’m currently looking at units for third rifle but I’m open to other ideas.

It’s starting to feel too much like an online dating app. Send me a PM if there’s any interest.

I had a long shot come through and was able to get access to a little private land. I will be going solo, but going is the main thing. I sure I will be looking next year for a hunting partner.

Damn online profiles got me again! Never who they say they are! LOL good luck this year.

I prefer solo if you are up the learning curve on the species and the type of terrain will encounter. A lot of the better hunts are difficult to draw much less if applying as a party. For example, Colorado does not average points when are a group but uses the smallest point total of all members in the group.

If are not up the learning curve on the species or the terrain (desert or 10,000 foot elevation or sage prairie or riparian zone or deep snow or 100F temperatures) then a group hunting trip with a more seasoned hunter or using a guide is likely to result in a better experience and perhaps reduce risk of getting into a bad situation.

My experience with groups is the level of excitement of guys to do a group adventure is very high months prior to actually doing the adventure. A series of unfortunate events culls the herd as near the start when a knee gets sore or leg broken, job is lost or hours cut back, family members gets sick, etc. All very valid reasons for a person to drop out but not a reason for the rest of the group having to spend $100s or $1000s more out of their pocket.

Not a hunting issue per se as see the same culling effect when the rubber needs to hit the road whether is a group hunt or is a trip to the Super Bowl if your team advances for first time in decades. My advice on any group adventure that has shared, fixed costs such as a cabin rental is a nonrefundable amount is put in the hat and nothing gets that money back out if the person cancels. A cabin rental looks good split 5 ways but not so good split in half, etc.

I would say that if you are not wanting to hunt alone-which is how I hunt mostly-then just draw your tag AND THEN advertise for someone that has drawn the same tag, to go with you. Logistics among herds sucks. It is hard enough to get two. or three people totally on the same page. Fly alone and then expand on it, if possible.

Back