Caribou Gear

2019 Kansas Rio's

midwesthunter

Took my 12 YO son to Kansas for spring break and to get him his first Rio Grande turkey. He has two Easterns under his belt and now two Rio's, half way through his slam. First morning we set up on a roost site, it was a bright morning and they were already talking while climbing in the blind. They pitched down into the wheat field in front of us and the Toms stayed to the back of the group, my son had to wait about 10 mins for a clear shot, stoned his Tom at 35 yards with a 20ga shooting Fed 3rd deg. I switched him to this load because the last couple he has shot have been very close. Wanted something that would open up a little bit at the closer range. He punched the first tag about 20 min after legal shooting light. His third turkey ever and he is blessed with a double bearded Tom.

We did some run and gunning in the afternoon but couldn't get any to play. The second morning we were in a different area that had a fairly large flock in the area. We set up by where we had seen some roost before, but this time they were 300 yards away. We kept working on them before finally about 17 worked their way our way around 930. Again we had to wait about 10 mins for a clear shot, the Toms kept circling each other or hens would be in the way. This time he dropped the tom at 10 yards. We were tagged out in KS! After reviewing the second mornings footage, I noticed there was a bearded hen with a beard that was probably 6", I wish I would have seen her first. A double bearded turkey and a bearded hen would have made a great combo. Ohh well, that is the challenges of trying to film and help your kid make a good shot.

Looks like a great hunt, congrats!!

Out of curiosity, what gun and choke is he using? I just bought a Mossberg youth 20 gauge and put a red dot on it. I'm taking my nephew out in a couple weeks and figured it would be a good gun for him to use. I have only shot trap loads out of it so far, but have some Federal 3rd Degree and TSS that I need to try out. I'm hoping to stick to a factory choke tube.

I love that Kansas (and lots of other states as well) give "youth" hunters a head start on the season. As you gents discovered, this usually means big flocks, and patience is required to get a clear shot when you have a dozen or more birds dancing in front of your hidey hole.

And excellent ninja skeeelz required of both guide and hunter to keep said birds in the dark as to their peril, when hiding just yards away. Awesome results

Looks like a great hunt, congrats!!

Out of curiosity, what gun and choke is he using? I just bought a Mossberg youth 20 gauge and put a red dot on it. I'm taking my nephew out in a couple weeks and figured it would be a good gun for him to use. I have only shot trap loads out of it so far, but have some Federal 3rd Degree and TSS that I need to try out. I'm hoping to stick to a factory choke tube.
Shooting a 870 with factory full choke. Running a red dot as well. When he started 3 years ago ran modified choke. When practicing I have him shoot 2.75" field loads, then surprise him with a turkey load while hunting. He never knew.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back