Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2018 Montana Advice

kingderek

Starting to plan for 2018 and am having what is now an annual debate—use my Montana bonus points (I’ve got 13) for the long shot Elkhorns bull permit, or say to hell with it and put in for another draw only tag where I’ll have an opportunity at a big bull.

As I hem and haw, I am considering applying for the archery only permit in HD 680. I’ve never hunted the southeast portion of the unit, but figure I can get some scouting in over the summer (I live in Helena). That said, I’ve seen some posts on these boards that seem to indicate that 680 may not hold the bulls I’d be after. I’ve hunted the Elkhorns enough to know how big those bulls get and where to find them—just don’t know if I’ll ever get a chance at hunting them.

Be interested in anyone’s thoughts/advice. Hope you all had a great 2017.

I'd say pick the one that will give you the experience you want. I have the same dilemma, but I don't get spun up on it. Who knoes what you might find elsewhere. The Felix bull was a surprise on its location.

What age class of bulls do you want to burn 13 pts on?
lots of good units in central to eastern Montana that you can find a good one in.
My question would be, "Do you like or want to hunt the breaks?" If not scratch that as I know some don't love the breaks but if you do I'd say pick a good unit, scout it some, and spend a week out there---assuming you draw a tage

Thanks—good advice. Happy to know I’m not the only one weighing this type of thing. Appreciate you weighing in.

What age class of bulls do you want to burn 13 pts on?
lots of good units in central to eastern Montana that you can find a good one in.
My question would be, "Do you like or want to hunt the breaks?" If not scratch that as I know some don't love the breaks but if you do I'd say pick a good unit, scout it some, and spend a week out there---assuming you draw a tage

Thanks—other Breaks units I’m also considering. I’d probably be looking for a bull in the 7-8+ old age class. The other important consideration is an area where there aren’t 8 million other hunters. Granted, that sorta precludes the type of bull I’d like to hunt, but I think you know what I mean. My “home” areas are fun to hunt, but typically don’t produce big bills because of the hunting pressure that’s increased over the past few years. That’s what is intriguing about the 680 Unit—really limited number of archers. Thanks for the advice.

I’d wait a year before throwing away 13 years worth of points. I have about 10, and decided to dump them on a unit with better odds last fall. Long story short, I still didn’t draw but I went and hunted for cows in that unit. After hunting it for cows, I’m damn glad I didn’t lose my bull points on that unit.

So I’d make sure you know what you’re getting into before you dump 13 years of patience down the drain.

I’d wait a year before throwing away 13 years worth of points. I have about 10, and decided to dump them on a unit with better odds last fall. Long story short, I still didn’t draw but I went and hunted for cows in that unit. After hunting it for cows, I’m damn glad I didn’t lose my bull points on that unit.

So I’d make sure you know what you’re getting into before you dump 13 years of patience down the drain.

Funny you suggest that—as I was shoveling snow for what feels like the 100th time in the last week, that’s what I thought about too. Maybe go cow hunt, or bow hunt mule deer, and get a sense of what’s over there.

You could have 100 points and the 380 ain't a sure bet. There's other units. mtmuley

If you know unit 380 then I’d say apply for it and hope to get lucky. There are some great bulls in there and plenty of public land to hunt. “Wild Aggie” hunted the public in 680 this year and said it was a very tough hunt. The access in that unit can be very difficult, and the blm is huge in 680, but elk can be scattered and trophy bulls can be tough to find.

If you know unit 380 then I’d say apply for it and hope to get lucky. There are some great bulls in there and plenty of public land to hunt. “Wild Aggie” hunted the public in 680 this year and said it was a very tough hunt. The access in that unit can be very difficult, and the blm is huge in 680, but elk can be scattered and trophy bulls can be tough to find.

I'm not saying don't apply. I think you need to focus on an area and keep after it until you are lucky enough to draw. Especially since Montana is bonus and not preference. Saving points is, well, pointless. mtmuley

I'm not saying don't apply. I think you need to focus on an area and keep after it until you are lucky enough to draw. Especially since Montana is bonus and not preference. Saving points is, well, pointless. mtmuley

Yes, I agree. My post was directed at the OP and was just my thoughts/observations.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back