2016 Utah???

prhunter

Last year I hunted AZ for the first time. This year I'll be going to Colorado after elk.

Im considering Utah deer for 2016. I've been doing some research and looking at maps of the area where I would be going.

What I've been looking at is the San Juan, Abajo Mts area. For me it would be the most accessible and it appears to have plenty of public land.

Seasons would be general rifle for now but I may consider the muzzleloader hunts.

I also read that there is an antlerless deer season but I cant find alot of info on that. Seems like that would be a good way to scout an area and also have a chance to bag a deer.

Any thoughts or input for a would be first time Utah deer hunter?

Anterless tags have a separate proclamation and drawing than the regular draws. IIRC the deadline is in July and yes you can get bonus points for antler-less tags. Though I haven't looked at them in quite a few years, I'd be surprised if you'll find many, if any, public land doe deer tags.

Don't know how it is now since they went to the seperate units for general deer, but general deer season in Utah can be quite a zoo. Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I'll be waiting for that antlerless proclamation to become available.

Last edited:
Ive done pretty well with utahs gen muzz deer hunts.have drawn 3 years in a row now,,,not always 1st choice though,,and have been 3 for 3 for meat bucks,no throphy bucks yet though.not that bad for $268 non res tag price.

I also considered the muzzleloader season for deer up there in Utah. Most of the animals Ive taken in New Mexico have been with a muzzleloader.

What are the basic rules in Utah as far as muzzleloaders (bullet weight, scope, no scope, powder or pellets, etc.)???

Thanks for the replies.

IIRC the only real limitation is that the scope cannot be magnifying. 1X or red dots are legal.

Back