Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2016 Jeep JK Mods

fmnjr

Got this a few months back, time to plan some mods:
IMG_0692.jpg
Things I don't like:
Tires - very noisy on the hwy and a rough ride, want to put 315/70r17 on stock rims
Lift - going to do a 2.5" lift with 1.5" spacers
Fenders - replace stock faded plastic with flat fenders
Spare tire mount - replace with integrated gas can/swinging type
Steps - replace with sliders

There are endless mods for JKs, but budget is a factor.
Others that would be nice are:
Lights
Bumpers
Winch

Anyone else here done similar?

Drive it over to Motech in town and give them the keys, pull out your check book. You will thank me later.

Drive it over to Motech in town and give them the keys, pull out your check book. You will thank me later.
Weeeelllllllll.......that's fine but I'm good with wrenching and will take care of it myself. But thanks for the suggestion anyways.

Weeeelllllllll.......that's fine but I'm good with wrenching and will take care of it myself. But thanks for the suggestion anyways.
Then order their kit! No need to have a smart ass response if you didn’t look up what they specialize in.

Then order their kit! No need to have a smart ass response if you didn’t look up what they specialize in.
$31k for a v8 swap? I'd just buy one of the new 392 wranglers if I had that kinda money! Either would be fun though.

$31k for a v8 swap? I'd just buy one of the new 392 wranglers if I had that kinda money! Either would be fun though.
If you do it yourself it’s significantly cheaper. I did it in my garage with their kit back in 2012. It makes the older JK the way they should of came from the factory. They are under powered from the start and adding a lift or tires just exasperate the problem.

If you do it yourself it’s significantly cheaper. I did it in my garage with their kit back in 2012. It makes the older JK the way they should of came from the factory. They are under powered from the start and adding a lift or tires just exasperate the problem.
And LS engines are badass. I want to swap one into my 1986 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 4L80E. mtmuley

And LS engines are badass. I want to swap one into my 1986 Chevy 3/4 ton with a 4L80E. mtmuley
6l80e is wayyy better transmission. But your 700r4 that’s in there could be built to just as good and is the same bolt pattern.

Let’s get back on the right foot together my friend. My response was meant to be the friendliest sort of wisecrack not mean in any way. You good?

White Knuckle Off Road makes some really nice looking sliders.

You have enough gearing to put 35” tires on there? Just my opinion, but I’d go 35x10.5 before I’d do the wider tires. That’s a lot of weight.

White Knuckle Off Road makes some really nice looking sliders.

You have enough gearing to put 35” tires on there? Just my opinion, but I’d go 35x10.5 before I’d do the wider tires. That’s a lot of weight.
It has 410 gears which surprised me. Tires will be 315/70/r17 on stock Rubicon wheels so yes they’ll be 35s.

It has 410 gears which surprised me. Tires will be 315/70/r17 on stock Rubicon wheels so yes they’ll be 35s.
35s are still getting a little tall for 4.10s IMO, but lots of folks do it. We had a Jeep (damned near identical to yours) for a few years. The front end on those doesn’t seem all that strong, which is why I suggested 10.5 instead of 12.5” tires. Ours needed new ball joints and tie rod ends at 50k miles.

What is your setup?
35” open country a/t. I think these are the best tires out there. Run them on all my rigs.
4” lift
Replaced head lights with LED
I actually have a brand new motor. Had blown head gasket when I bought it. I also know all about leaks. They all leak just matter of when. Got mine all fixed.
Otherwise all stock but a few little aftermarket stuff. The rack was one of the best things I did. Allows me to put dogs in back. I have waterproof Yeti and Kuiu bags I put up on rack when we head out. Works great.

35s are still getting a little tall for 4.10s IMO, but lots of folks do it. We had a Jeep (damned near identical to yours) for a few years. The front end on those doesn’t seem all that strong, which is why I suggested 10.5 instead of 12.5” tires. Ours needed new ball joints and tie rod ends at 50k miles.
I got tired of the constant problems with the front axle. I surfed the classifieds in the Jeep forums back then. Finally found a used dynatrack prorock 44. Solved all my issues with the light duty parts the factory used.

4.10 are too light for 35’s, especially with a stock drivetrain. I have 4.56 and a 6l80e transmission. With its low first gear and the HP from the 5.3l you can do most anything in 4 high. On a stock drivetrain I felt like I was relegated to 4 low on anything off road in less than perfect conditions.

Back