MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2015 has been a good year

Tikka06

This has been my best year in a long time for whitetails. I struck out in our long bow season, and only got to hunt 1 day during the 2 week muzzleloader season, but have made up for it in the last two weeks during the rifle hunt. First, I was to spend 5 days in central Ky. My wife bought me this semi guided , totally free range hunt as a christmas present last year. At first I was totally against it, but since she funded it on her own and did all the research herself, I tried to stay positive. It was super crowded, but the room and board were great. I ended up with a great guide and fellow group of hunters. After passing a 120in at dark on the first day and spending 12 hrs in the stand, I caught a 135in, broken up 10 chasing a doe through a thicket. When they cut across the winter wheat field I was on, I grunted, he ignored me, I whistled, he ignored me, and I finally yelled out "hey!" and he stopped about 90yds away, the 06 put him down in 1 shot and he is my biggest buck to date. I came home early. My first morning out at home I had to burn my doe tag on a yearling doe that one of of my neighboring hunters had hit low in the front leg with a muzzleloader, the poor thing was crippled up pretty bad and so I put it down. I usually hold out for a big old doe, but those little tenderloins made an awesome pan of fajitas. Then, 2 days ago, I decided to take out a T3 in 300 win mag that I have barely broken in. I ended up rattling up a 3.5 yr old 7 point out of a grown up field, but he locked up on me at about 120 yds. I settled in on him and zoomed in to max power (14). He wasn't moving at all and presented me with a front on shot, I had a solid rest and slowly played through the shot a few times in my head before taking it. He dropped in his tracks. My best shot as of yet and my first animal with the 300. I have had a very blessed year and am lucky to have the opportunities and support at home to pursue this way of life. I am going to take week or so off from the woods then head up into the Appalachians and see if I can put this last tag on an elusive east Tn mountain buck.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 865
Nice buck. It won't be long before his claims of shooting a monster buck will be the truth.

Yep, that's a good year. Looks like that buck was a real fighter.

Congrats! It's been a good year here as well. My count so far is two does and two bucks. Plenty of meat in the freezer, and I still have some tags left to improve on the count!

Congrats on a very good year!

PS- I can PM you my wife's email address so your wife can give her Christmas gift advice... :D

She really is pretty awesome. She just wont eat wild meat yet. We are working on it though. She is ok with one trip or so a year, we are talking over Wyoming for this fall if I can get an antelope hunt planned out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sinhba
Back