PEAX Equipment

2015 Alaska Black Bear

rmyoung1

After 32 years of pastoral ministry in the Gardiner, MT/Mammoth Hot Springs, WY area, my dad retired this April. My brother and I then went to SE Alaska with him to celebrate his new retirement. The three of us had black bear tags in hand, and we also hoped to catch a few fish. We had a great time, and there are a number of people here at HT that helped us out. Thanks to all of you! Of course, the show was a great help, as well. Big thanks to Randy and the crew. We hoped to run into Randy, Bart and the guys while we were in the Petersburg area, but it turns out that our schedules over-lapped by a few days and we missed them. Anyway, we stayed in Point Baker at Calder Mountain Lodge and rented boats from the lodge. We then ran across Sumner Strait every day to look for bears. We had a blast and even managed to punch a couple of tags and catch some fish. I was hoping for a neat SE Alaska experience and a memorable time with my dad in brother. I got all of that and then some. I'm very blessed to have experienced this remarkable part of God's creation. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• unnamed (6).jpg
    unnamed (6).jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 677
  • unnamed (5).jpg
    unnamed (5).jpg
    29 KB · Views: 684
  • unnamed (4).jpg
    unnamed (4).jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 666
  • unnamed (3).jpg
    unnamed (3).jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 669
Here's my dad and me with the bear I managed to harvest. The bear was taken in Three Mile Arm, Kuiu Island. It's not the biggest bear in the Tongass, but it's my first bear, and I am very happy with how the whole thing turned out.

Attachments

• unnamed (1).jpg
    unnamed (1).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 664
Finally, here's my brother with a Quillback Rockfish. We had some fun with the rockfish fishing. Praise God! It was an awesome time.

Attachments

• unnamed (2).jpg
    unnamed (2).jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 669
Cool stuff. Not sure what happened to the rain of Southeast Alaska, but it looks as absent in your photos as it was for us. Hope it stays that way when I am up there hunting blacktails in a month.

Cool stuff. Not sure what happened to the rain of Southeast Alaska, but it looks as absent in your photos as it was for us. Hope it stays that way when I am up there hunting blacktails in a month.

Yeah, it was incredible. I came home with a sunburn. We kept saying that if we came back for the next 50 years, we'd probably never see the same weather again. Crazy.

Good luck on the blacktail hunt, by the way. I'm eager to see that episode. That's definitely on my to-do list.

Congrats on a great hunt that is a great place and it looks like you had great weather it rains buckets when I go there usually! Sure is awesome when doesn't though! Great post

Great trip to kick off a retirement - and spending time like that with family is awesome.

Congrats on a great trip.

Wonderful family trip! Congrats on an awesome adventure and beautiful bear.

Looks like a great trip.

I lived in Mammoth for 4 years (and live just down the road now) and know your Dad and Mom - both great folks.

Patrick

Looks like a great trip.

I lived in Mammoth for 4 years (and live just down the road now) and know your Dad and Mom - both great folks.

Patrick

Thanks, Patrick. Yeah, the Lord blessed me with fine parents. Thanks for the kind words. It's always good to hear from people back home. Take care!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back