MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

2014 Ram 1500 Options to Use Chains

Wallow

I've had the truck for 2 years now and really like it. I am in need of tire chains for both front and rear. I started researching chains and immediately starting reading about lack of clearance for chains. I looked at my truck to verify this, and sure enough, clearance is an issue both front and rear - why is nothing easy? I have the factory 20 inch wheels and BFG KO2 275/60R20 8 plys on it and also have a set of 17 inch Rebel wheels with 285/70R17's in storage. I'd really like to run the 17 inch Rebel wheels as I prefer them to 20 inchers but am assuming I may have even less clearance with them versus the narrower 20's? I will add that I have the Bilstein leveling shocks/struts and the front is pretty much level with the back.

With all that said, what have you Ram owners done to be able to run chains on all 4? Seems to me it's spacers or wheels with an offset that provides more clearance. I have no experience with either of these options and read mixed reviews on whether they negatively affect front end wear or not. I guess one option would be to have a set of spacers or offset wheels with beefy skins for the fall and run them for 3 months and then put the factory set up back on.

Bought these online for my 15 with 20" wheels. They are made to clear front and rear.
Hauled them to montana last year but fortunately didn't have to use them

Attachments

• 20200722_180925.jpg
    20200722_180925.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 35
I think I got mine from etrailer. They have have installation videos and show installing on a ram

1595506264828.png
Here is a pic from this past UP deer season here in Michigan. If not for the chains it would have cost several thousand for a front end loader to go the 1.5 miles back to camp. I have photos also from earlier in the year in SE Montana when chains saved me miles back in off the county road in snowy greasy mud. After those experiences I did a lot of research and bought similar chains to the ones above. I had to use them 10 more times during our winter and now wouldn’t go anywhere without them in nasty conditions. If someone is interested, I can post more photos and better descriptions tonight when I have more time.

For Doug (92 Dodge) I use the same style chains. I also used them on the YJ I had previously and have had great success with them. Very easy to install and I believe the design gives additional lateral stability. Where we hunt they are as much for mud insurance as snow and have served me well.20181017_153214.jpg

Reactions: LCH
Bought these online for my 15 with 20" wheels. They are made to clear front and rear.
Hauled them to montana last year but fortunately didn't have to use them

I noticed that those chains are only 3.7mm. I'm not a chain expert but those seem really small - which is why they fit. My old chains were 7mm so almost twice the size. Just wondering about durability and bite on a chain this small?

I noticed that those chains are only 3.7mm. I'm not a chain expert but those seem really small - which is why they fit. My old chains were 7mm so almost twice the size. Just wondering about durability and bite on a chain this small?
The only issue I have had in 6 years (snow, mud, rocks) combined using them is that I broke one of the little rubber band tensioners last year. Tensioned it with 550 cord and it was fine :)20191023_123026.jpg

Last edited:
OP, If I were you, I'd explore all options to run a proper set of chains before using those small ones. V-bars are best. mtmuley

From what I gather, spacers or offset are the only options to use 7mm chains. Then you run into premature wear on bearings and tie rods.

From what I gather, spacers or offset are the only options to use 7mm chains. Then you run into premature wear on bearings and tie rods.
Bummer. I couldn't deal with not being able to chain up. mtmuley

Bummer. I couldn't deal with not being able to chain up. mtmuley

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but after finding out the clearance issues on Ram trucks, I did some digging only to find out that the newer model years of all makes have this issue. The exception being the Nissan Titan.

Check "Backset" on wheels, it will tell the tail. If you use spacers make sure they're for your weight truck.
I Run a set of 2" spacers on my CJ7 and have 31s with no problems.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back