PEAX Equipment

2012 Minnesota Moose Hunt - The Story

That looks like a lot of fun, I want to fish the boundary waters some day.

Awesome story and great pictures. Congrats on the kill as well.

For the older generation of HuntTalk...... Reminds me of Smith-Barney brokers.....You guys EARNED that moose adventure. Thanks for sharing.

Great write up guys and an excellent adventure...reminds me of my time up there on a moose hunt with the same outcome and big trip out with the portages and a big bull...those were some days in the outdoors i will never forget.

really nice write up. . .my legs were burning just reading it. I go fishing up there every year and I think all of the portages should be named like # 6. Beautiful country, but, its work if you do it right and you sure did it right, congrats!

That is one awesome write up and one awesome hunt! Congrats some good meat there also. Welcome to OYOA hope to share some stories and experience in the future. Don't know much about WY elk hunting but have done some speed goat hunting there. If you need anything yell.

NoWiser...I read on another thread that you will be hunting WY for elk this year and that you have never hunted them before. If you put in half the effort on your elk hunt as you did on your moose hunt I would not doubt you have a great hunt in WY.

Thanks everyone!

Brownbear - I have never hunted antelope before, but started buying points last summer. I have no real plans to hunt them in the next couple of years, but I know that I will want to someday, so I figure when that time comes, having a bunch of points may be kind of handy. I'll let you know if I have any questions!

Fowladdict - I am heading out to Wyoming to elk hunt in September. I hope you are right! My dad's moose hunt was easy. I had all of the research done for my hunt the previous year. For a month straight prior to my hunt, I made a point to call at least 3 people every day after work, looking for information. I stumbled on an awesome area that I would have never looked at, and on my hunt saw 17 moose (6 bulls) in 5 days of hunting. That one was very tough due to super hot weather and wildfires.

I've done quite a bit of research on some areas in Wyoming, and I think I have a good Plan A and Plan B picked out. I need to talk to one more biologist to answer a few questions. We are hoping to hike in 3 or 4 miles to find an area that we can more or less have to ourselves. If I just see a few elk and hear some bugles, and don't get eaten by a grizzly, I'll consider the trip a success. Like I said, I've never seen an elk in the wild before. I hope they aren't as big as a moose!! If anyone has experience with the general areas in the western part of the state, I'd love to chat!

Back