Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

2012-2013 NM Regs

As a resident that has not drawn cow elk in the last 3 years, I'm glad that NM is giving residents more tags. Hope I get one. Now with that said, I remember when NM tried a semi point system and it didn't work. If you entered the draw so many years (3 I think) and didn't draw you were up next automatically.

Here is a thought, If the outfitters are only getting a 10% allocation of the tags as per dan.k, what is going to happen to all those animals? Answer, the other residents who have drawn will get a chance to harvest. I am in support of that.

With regard to the refund or no refund. How gives a crap, it is all electronic anyway.

As a resident that has not drawn cow elk in the last 3 years, I'm glad that NM is giving residents more tags.

Of course you are...Heaven forbid a New Mexico resident not to kill an elk in 3 years...It's your god given right, given that non residents tag fees pay for the large portion of your Wildlife budget, which without you would not have an Elk herd to kill.

If you want to kill a cow, drive a couple hundred miles to CO, they have the biggest herd anywhere. I'm sure they would be happy to have you....Tag is $354.

There were already leftover cow elk tags in several units in New Mexico under the old system. If you didn't draw a cow tag in 3 years you might want to apply in a different unit, several would be guaranteed draws even with your 3rd choice.

If you really want to hunt in NM you can, especially as a R. It may not be the Gila but there are left over tags every year there. Too many NM sportsmen seem to think they need a Gila elk tag or a 2B deer tag to go hunting. They need to get rid of the LO tags and more R will be able to hunt.

Good luck in the draws this year

If you really want to hunt in NM you can, especially as a R. It may not be the Gila but there are left over tags every year there. Too many NM sportsmen seem to think they need a Gila elk tag or a 2B deer tag to go hunting. They need to get rid of the LO tags and more R will be able to hunt.

Good luck in the draws this year

You are exactly right about that, most residents that I know that don't ever draw are putting in for Valle Vidal and the Gila units. The frustrating part for residents I think is that up until about 15 years ago most units in NM were relatively easy to draw. Obviously an increase in people putting in and the idea that you can only shoot monster bulls is by drawing a gila tag. The number 3 bull in the state of NM came out of a unit that is the easiest unit to draw a tag. I used to hunt unit 15 all the time but when i went 4 years without drawing a tag I switched to a unit that was relatively easy to draw and have drawn a bull tag and harvested a bull for the last 4 years. 3 of the 4 bulls are small but i did manage to find one that ended up scoring 320. So even in less desired units you can still find some nice bulls. The way the draw is set up there is no reason to not ever draw a tag in NM, you can put your first two choices as prime units and then put your third choice for a less desired unit and go hunting every year.

Same thing goes for non-residents as well, if you really want to hunt NM you can. If you don't draw then you can buy a landowner tag. And if you still want to hunt public land then you can buy a unit wide ranch tag and not only be able to hunt the ranch but you can also hunt public land as well.

http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us/publications/documents/rib/2012/2012BIgGame.pdf

from; http://www.huntthewest.com/2011/NMr...tm_campaign=Feed:+HuntTheWest+(Hunt+the+West)

New Mexico 2012 Regulations Available
December 7, 2011.

Application season has begun. Time to start plan, fantasizing, and forking over fees.

The 2012 New Mexico big game regs are now available online.

There are major changes in New Mexico this year, largely as the result of a major grass roots anti-non-resident push led by the New Mexico Wildlife Federation.

Key changes:

-Guided non-resident quota reduced from 12% to 10%.

-Non-guided non-resident quota reduced from 10% to 6%.

-There is a new requirement this year that you must purchase a refundable hunting --license when applying. The license is $65 for non-residents.

-Pretty much all of the applications for limited big game licenses (including deer, oryx, -elk, antelope, sheep, etc.) are not due until March 28 this year.

-Paper applications are no longer accepted.

Opportunity in New Mexico has definitely been diminished. But it's still an irresistable place to apply in many ways.

As a resident, I have been consistently been able to hunt Elk in NM the last several years by putting in for cow hunts in less desirable hunts as 2nd and 3rd choices. This past hunting season I drew nothing, but that's how it goes. Instead I went to Colorado. As far as I can tell there were no left over elk hunts (bulls or cows) this past season. Plenty of leftover deer tags. Npaden where did you get this information?

As a resident, I have been consistently been able to hunt Elk in NM the last several years by putting in for cow hunts in less desirable hunts as 2nd and 3rd choices. This past hunting season I drew nothing, but that's how it goes. Instead I went to Colorado. As far as I can tell there were no left over elk hunts (bulls or cows) this past season. Plenty of leftover deer tags. Npaden where did you get this information?

I actually just assumed, I hadn't actually checked 2011 but know there have always been leftovers in the past.

I just checked and there was only 1 unit with leftover elk tags this year. ELK 1-1-373 = Urraca WMA cow elk rifle tag November 5-9. I actually hunted the Bull tag just before that this year in Urraca and was successful.

The Quota was 15 on that tag and there were 10 tags awarded, 2 first choice, 6 second choice and 2 third choice.

Last edited:
I actually just assumed, I hadn't actually checked 2011 but know there have always been leftovers in the past.

I just checked and there was only 1 unit with leftover elk tags this year. ELK 1-1-373 = Urraca WMA cow elk rifle tag November 5-9. I actually hunted the Bull tag just before that this year in Urraca and was successful.

The Quota was 15 on that tag and there were 10 tags awarded, 2 first choice, 6 second choice and 2 third choice.

The only leftover elk tags this year was for unit 52 mobility impaired. If you got your information from the drawing odds they only show 1st 2nd and 3rd choice, whatever tags were left over were probably rewarded to the guys who put down a 4th choice. If you log into your account it shows what tags were leftover. Some years they don't have any leftover tags and other years they have a bunch. A couple years ago they would open up a first come first serve on some cow tags but it looks like they are reserving those cow tags for the youth now.

I did notice some 4th choice showing up on the drawing odds list. It actually showed 7 forth choice applicants on that tag.

I'll sit on the sidelines as far as NM goes.They don't seem to want my diy money for their economy.draw odds will be slim.I hope the new system costs them alot of money so they make changes again.The outfitter and LO tags seem pretty ridiculous there.no problem withresidents getting a little better odds.Just alot of other states with better options for me.I would probably consider a chance at it if the draw was in Jan. like Wy. and I would know where I stand ahead of some other states draws

Just for the record. I have tried mixing up my units. I do not waste a draw opp. on Valle Vidal. And I am not interested in spending $1000.00+ on an Elk, so I don't go out of state. I have only one consistant unit as my first opition all three years and have mixed it up with other less promising units. I just haven't drawn. I have not chosen unit 34 because to my understanding CWD has been found in or around that unit and just did not want to take the chance.

I knew when I made my post, most if not all would have something to say about a resident being favored by the state he lives in to get a local hunt. Will it cause a negative financial impact? Probably. Will the draw odds revert back? Probably. Will there be any unused elk tags? NO.....

Just for the record. I have tried mixing up my units. I do not waste a draw opp. on Valle Vidal. And I am not interested in spending $1000.00+ on an Elk, so I don't go out of state. I have only one consistant unit as my first opition all three years and have mixed it up with other less promising units. I just haven't drawn. I have not chosen unit 34 because to my understanding CWD has been found in or around that unit and just did not want to take the chance.

I knew when I made my post, most if not all would have something to say about a resident being favored by the state he lives in to get a local hunt. Will it cause a negative financial impact? Probably. Will the draw odds revert back? Probably. Will there be any unused elk tags? NO.....

If you are worried about the CWD in 34 you can always take your head to a game and fish office and they will test your head for CWD. Unit 34 is awesome so don't not put in just because of CWD. And it is a very small number that have actually tested positive.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ak2021
Back