Caribou Gear Tarp

2009 to 2014 F150's

Jmnhunter

what are the main issues with the F150's in this generation in the 5.0 and eco-boost models?

heard the turbos on the ecoboost can go out and thats a big chunk of change...

any other known issues, such as in this generation, did Ford work out the timing chains and COP issues exhaust manifolds?

Rear end clutch packs?

I have a 2013, 150k miles on it. My biggest issue has been a throttle body sticking at 80k, ~$300. Everything else has been regular maitnence. I dug into these motors and trannies before buying it and there's a lot going way over 200k. My parents just bought a 2016 version and I won't hesitate to get another.

I own a 2010 with the 5.4l pretty sturdy proven engine outside of some issues with spark plugs. I have owned almost 4 years and bought at 70k miles with only issue being my exhaust manifold leaking which is a $1200 fix..I have 125k on it now.

Bought My 2011 5.0 FX4 with 26k on it and it now has 115k and other than oil changes, tires, and normal maintenance there have been zero issues. My father bought a 2011 eco boost brand new which now has 105K on it and he too has had zero issues.

I had a 2008 and a 2012 F150 work vehicle. 2008 had a short on the wiring loom that fried the ECM, was in the shop for two weeks for diagnosis and repair. Also had injector problems, throttle body issues, ad nauseum. One of the worst trucks I've ever had. The 2012 had injector issues and also had burnt exhaust valves at 55k. Spent a week in the shop with the entire engine pulled.

owned a 12 with 5.0 had water pump go out at 40k

currently own a 14 with 3.5 eco. had to replace the trottle body at 47k. There is no approved induction service for the Eco boost as far as i know and that kind of sucks.

I had a 2010 with the 5.4L. Maybe my favorite truck of all time. Never had an issue, I just had to switch to a diesel for towing.

My brother has a 2012 F150 5.0 with 240k miles. Only issue was the sunroof broke. They break a lot on this generation. Easy fix if you don't buy one with the sunroof.

I had a 2011 that I had to get rid of a couple of months ago due to constant break downs. The 5.0 engine and transmission were the only good thing about it, except the starter,I had to replace it at 70k, then the front bearings needed to be replaced, while doing that, I found the lower ball joints were bad, and that led to rebuilding the whole front end. Then at 82k, the rear clutch pack went out, a couple of days before my appointment to get that fixed, my left rear main leaf spring broke, so I had it towed to the dealership and they fixed both. Then a couple of weeks later, I had a no start issue, it would crank but not start, after about 15 minutes, it started like it had no problem. I took it to a friend's place and he hooked his scanner up and it showed nothing, about a week later it did it again and this time I found the fuel pump fuse burned, but not "popped". So I called the ford dealership and come to find out, there is a TSB about the fuel pump fuse wire being too small and it can start a fire. I ended up buying the kit to fix it and took care of it, the final straw was, when the clutch pack started doing the exact same thing again, but it also had a new grinding noise to it, and that was it for my ownership of that lemon. I know some people have great luck with them, but in my experience, they're not that good of a truck and mine was a gas hog with the best mpg I could get, was 15 mpg.

I’ve had a 2014 lariat 4x4 with eco boost since I bought it brand new. No real issues. 73k miles on it. Does fine hauling my boat and tractor when I need it.

Owned a '12 with EcoBoost. Easily worst vehicle I've ever owned trans went out at a little under 30k. Sparks plugs at 30k. They wouldn't warranty the spark plugs not that big of a deal. Trans took 7 weeks to rebuild because they couldn't get parts.
Called headquarters for Ford for an explanation they said it was winter weather. What a joke. After all of that the cab corners started to bubble with rust at a mere 40k miles. At around 41k I drove it to the Chevy dealer for a trade. First and last ford I'll ever own. I believe I heard there is a recall on the 12's transmission now but I'm not certain.

I had a 2006 with a 5.4 285,000 miles of abuse. Alternator, battery, and trans at 220,000 were the only issues ever.

2010, 171,000 miles on it, pulling trailers, mountain roads hunting, drove the hell out of it. No issues to speak of other than regular maintenance.

2015 5.0 coyote 162,000 miles, aluminum body , handled like a sports car, no major issues other than it’s pretty easy to punch a hole in the aluminum wheel wells.

I wouldn’t buy a eco boost, but that’s just me. Fords been making the 5.0 longer than I’ve been alive.

One thing about fords, they have feelings , every person I know who trash talks fords has terrible luck with them. Every die hard ford fan I know has had multiple without a problem..

Don’t ever buy a ford that is new technology that year. It takes em 2-3 years to work out the bugs.

No experience with those model year 150s, but I have an 08 f250 with the v10, absolutely love that truck, its thirsty. But I didnt buy it for the fuel efficiency. Hoping to get another 10 years out of it. Daily commute is only 12 miles.

I had a 2013 XLT with 5.0. I now have a XLT 2015 with 5.0. Spectacular motor. Its a shame they are getting rid of it. I put over 80k on both trucks and never a single issues. A few pain in the ass "safety recalls" but that's it. The interior on the '15 is way nicer than the '13.

Sadly I gotta get rid of the '15 ( work truck) and my fleet company now only has Chevy. It ll have problems for sure, and since its a GM iit will have to beparked in the street as no GM or Suburu's are allowed in my driveway.

My wife drives a 2013 F150 Eco boost with 94,000 miles on it. Had a couple minor computer related burps, easily fixed with a quick trip to the dealer. We would not buy another eco boost. We have friends and family with F150 5.0 V-8s that seem to pull trailers better, get better mileage and cost much less.

My 2009 with the 5.4 is the worst truck I’ve ever owned. Right around 100k miles. Everything is rusting out and I have a new code come up about once a month. Timing chains, exhaust issues, throttle body issues, multiple front end issues, and it needs a camshaft. I haven’t had any spark plug problems, which is surprising. I’ll probably never buy another gas ford. From my experience, you either have great luck with fords or they’re always in the shop.

I should also say that I’ve owned all 3, Dodge, Chevy and Ford. They’ve all had problems but the Ford has been the biggest headache. But growing up my dad drove a Ford forever. Very minimal problems and had over 300k when he sold it if I remember right, on a gasser.

when i'm ready, i'll probably go to a 5.0; 5.4 seem to have alot of issues with the spark plugs and cam phasers, motor knocks, etc. ecoboost being a gamble

I bought a brand new 2014 F150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost in november of 2014. I have had two recalls completed quickly for selinoids in the tranny and a master cylinder. Mine is the last of the "all steel" trucks which currently has 90K. I have added a tuner to increase the performance of the Ecobeast. I have pulled a 20' Rpod trailer all over the western US. No one passes me going uphill, it pulls hard but the mileage is probably lower than the 5.0 (I didn't buy it for fuel mileage!) It rides rough on the Bilstein 5100 but it goes anywhere (packed snow, mud, standing water) I would buy another "big block" Ecoboost in a minute!!2018-10-11 08.02.00.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back