Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

2009 Mountain Goat

yellowdog

I was lucky this year to draw a Montana Mountain goat tag for central Montana.
First time for everything. I am planning my hunt for the 2nd week of Nov. Hair should be long.
I would love some comments on my Questions.

How do you judge the size(horn length) of a Mountain goat?

Assuming a kill what type of mount would you suggest for a mountain goat?
Full, half or shoulder?

For a full mount skinning where do you start?

I have emailed with the area biologist and he suggests go after it with archery equipment.
There are around 70 to 80 goats in this area. Mostly on 3 peaks. i have kill sites back to 2003.

Would you try with the stick and string or go straight for the smoke pole?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Not a clue how to judge, so I guess just find the biggest one in the unit and tip it over.
If it were me I'd give it a go with my bow, but have a rifle handy at all times in case.
I'd also do a full body on it if it were possible to scrape up the coin, can't imagine not regretting it if you did something else.
Good luck and take lots of pictures.

I agree with Randy11. A good friend of mine went for one in Idaho with his bow the first couple weeks and did not take his rifle for back-up. During that first couple weeks he saw the biggest goat of his hunts and was not able to capitalize but could of had he taken his rifle. His thoughts looking back are he would rather have the biggest goat he could find with any weapon vs. shoot a lesser one with a bow. He ended up getting a full mount with his goat that he eventually got with a rifle.

To each is own on deciding to take one with a rifle or bow. Good luck either way you decide to go!

Just go have fun, you will probably be able to hunt mountain goats another 1/2 dozen times in you life.;)

you will probably be able to hunt mountain goats another 1/2 dozen times in you life.

HUH????

Make the most of it... hunting late November can be a nasty chore.... be prepared!!!

I would try and get out there sooner if i were you. And i would definitely be bowhunting but that's me. From what i have seen and talked to people by mid October their hair is pretty long. Definitely good enough for a full body mount. They make one of the best full body mounts around, and it shows off their blocky bodies and hair. Plus you probably won't get to go goat hunting that many times in your life. If not a real nice pedestal is sweet with some rock habitat. You can find some info online about skinning or call a few good taxidermist. Up the back of the legs to the butt and up the back, dorsal cut is what most people recommend. Judging and scoring is very tough. Look for a big blocky body, walks heavy, massive bases, bridged nose on mature billies and have classic curve through length. Easier to tell when they are close together. Making solo goats harder to judge. Take your time and really look them over, not like you'll have some kind of competition out there. Spook a big billy, is like a big mule, chances are he will disappear. Let the right scenario play itself out, usually depending on where they bed. You can check out the bowsite, mtn goat section with a lot of posts from outfitters and more experienced individuals than me. pics with scores june-12-08 has some good posts.

Check out this link. If you scroll down to the pedestal mtn goat. Looked terrible after i shot him in BC last year but came out awesome. Hand delivered to my house, and looks better than i would of ever imagined. Got him the last day of a 15 day hunt and he fell over a 1,000 vertical ft. So since i didn't shot him with a bow i got him as a pedestal. Good luck and let us know how it goes, Fish

http://www.rofferswildlifestudio.com/galleryshowcase.html

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trapper330
Back