2007 Montana Whitey

shortside

:)
Well, after not seeing a lot of promising sign, I dropped the first 5-point that I saw last Friday morning. This is a good 3 1/2 year-old deer, but I saw a better one Saturday morning, while trying to get a good deer lined out for my Dad. Dad was able to get a great sneak on him, but couldn't see the deer when the chips were down.... :confused:
I watched it all go down in my Binos from a couple hundred yards away..and the deer was still there when Dad gave up on the stalk! |oo

I did eventually get him on a nice 4-pointer later in the day, but the Saturday morning buck was a dandy! Maybe next year!

Anyway, here is a photo for you. Self-portraits are not my strong suit.
525277.JPG

SS:

Great buck. Some one asked me if guys in MT shoot muleys anymore. Well, not if they can shoot whitetails like that one.

Congrats!

Thanks..

Thanks all...

I have been lucky enough to learn a place really well, and take some really good bucks over the years, but nothing huge. All our hunting is from the ground, in pretty brushy dry creek beds adjacent to derelict pastures that were over-grazed this year.

The larger buck I put Dad on was probably close to 160" B&C, but I will never know.

Last year's buck was a really good 5x5, significanlty larger than this one, and I was hoping to go a little bigger yet this year.

However, when you have a buck like this at 40 yards, next to the roadwhere I can drive right to him, and up wind... well you see where this is going.

My itchy trigger finger got the best of me!:D

He will be great eating, and it is another good memory at one of my favorite deer spots.

Shortside

Montana only allows a single "picka region" doe tag for the state, and mine is not for this region/area, so no does were harmed during this hunt.

There are not a huge number of deer in this area, and I would like there to be more, so I try to leave the younger bucks and does go. Plenty of locals poaching, and other hunters on the neighboring places to keep the numbers down...

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back