Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

2006 Barbary Hunt...story....

muzzelk..

Well pretty much i have been hunting these guys here in western New Mexico for the last year. But actually didnt start hunting really hard till January. These Barbary are free ranging on public land and are very hard to find where i am from, not to many people even know that they live in the mountains here. But anyways this year was actually the first year i have ever hunted for these sheep I have always heard stories of ppl shooting them around here and seen some nice mounts and photos. Finally i said i would try and get me one since the hunt was made year round.
I had seen some really nice rams a few weeks before i harvested this guy but i could not get the shot i wanted. I had a perfect 500 yard shot at the biggest ram but I was not comfortable shooting my rifle that far so i passed up and tried to get closer and ended up spooking them and that was the last i seen of them sheep. About 3 weeks later my girlfriend asked me if i wanted to go and hunt them in another area where some local guys and taken a ram and 2 ewes. So i said what the heck lets try it out.
We didnt leave to early in the morning it was probably about 9 am when i finally got everything ready and we headed to the trail that we wanted to walk. It was a long hike up and down a few canyons and then up on top the mesa. Once we got to the top i noticed lots of tracks whick looked like deer but there were just to many of them so i told my Girlfriend these gotta be Sheep tracks. We walked and walked and didnt see anything and the tracks were starting to disappear. So we decided to back track and try glassing up towards the higher mesa to the north. and if we spotted something we would go after it. After glassing for bout an hour we made a plan to just walk to the edge of the mesa to the west and head back towards the truck. While walking along the edge we came to a canyon the formed a "Y" in the mesa so we decided we would take a break and glass the cliffs and edges. So i made a quick pass of the canyon with my Nikon Monarchs and then started to slowly make my way back slowly from the west back towards the east when I heard some rocks falling to my left. I didnt even look i just thought to myself i will make my way over there in a bit...My Girlfriend grabbed me and was trying to tell me something was there but it wouldnt come out of her mouth so i turned and looked for myself and there they were finally she said THERE THEY ARE!! sure enough there was about 15 to 20 set of eyes just glued to us they were all just staring at us guess they didnt know what we were. So i set up on the ram which was standing Quartering Towards me in front of the whole herd. I ranged him ant 217 and squeezed the trigger. I lost him in the recoil and asked my girlfriend did i hit him she just said YUP!! I picked up my head to look and he was running and hold up his front shoulder I knew i had connected good and bout 3 seconds later he stopped and wobbled and it was all over...It was a great hunt and i am glad i got to share it with my Babe...She loves hunting maybe not as much as me but she Love to be out and doesnt mind helping me field dress and get my animals out of the Hills... I cant ask for anything better...

Attachments

• 2006barbary.jpg
    2006barbary.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 369
Fetching RADD looking animals.... The first one I ever seen was Years ago in a Taxidermy shop. He was doing a 1/2 body mount. I stold that Idea and Mounted my NZ Tahr like that. Awesome looking critters !!

That's a fine looking aoudad! Congrats! It looks like he's got some nice chaps on him as well. Did you decided on how you are going to get it mounted?

A buddy and I are going after those in January 2007. We are going to Vanhorn, TX which is just about an hour drive south of New Mexico and about 130 miles east of El Paso. About 60,000 acres of free rangecountry very similar to whats in the background of your photo. This will be my fifth attempt to get one but my first time I have hunted them with a rifle. I'm bringing the bow along just in hopes but the rifle is coming along and this time I may not hesitate to use it.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back