2 points in Colorado....

npaden

Okay, boy do I wish I had started applying 7 years ago. With that said, I didn't and currently have 2 preference points. When I first started applying, putting in for the nanny tag was a no brainer because it was the only option. Now, I'm struggling to decide whether to put in for it this year or not.

It is still the only tag that doesn't take 3 preference points to even get in the pot for, so it would be my only chance of actually drawing a tag, but it would also use up the preference points I had if I drew it.

Looking at the folks ahead of me, it looks pretty daunting. 1,046 ahead of me with 3 preference points and 15 non resident billy tags per year doesn't math out very well with 69+ years more to apply if everyone ahead of me ends up drawing a tag before me. If some of those guys forget to apply a few years or just give up I might pass a few of them but probably not more than half. 721 of those with 3 preference points have zero weighted points, I wonder how many of those I could pass? I guess to draw a tag in my lifetime it will take some luck.

I guess I'll probably just apply for the nanny tag again this year.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Nathan

Last edited:
Well, based on the overwhelming advice, I think I've decided to go ahead and apply one more year for the nanny goat tag. Looking over the harvest results, a good number of folks with the either sex tag end up harvesting nanny goats anyway, so I might as well apply for a tag that I have a very remote chance of drawing instead of applying for a tag that I wouldn't even be eligible to be drawn for since all the billy tags require 3 points before even getting in the drawing pool.

If I draw it will conflict with my Wyoming elk hunt by a little bit, but I guess I will just have to work around that.

Sending in my application and check today.

Saw this a few days ago and meant to reply.

The nanny and either sex tags are the same in regards to how many points you need to be considered in the drawing. The only difference is that there is much greater demand for either sex tags. If there were more applicants for nanny tags, you would have zero chance at one with less than 3 points.

Either sex tags have been drawn recently with less than 3 points. Some research will tell you where.

Comes down to what you want. Most people who are not goat hunters would never know that your nanny on the wall was a female.

Most people who are not goat hunters would never know that your nanny on the wall was a female.

Evidently based on the harvest statistics, quite a few people who are goat hunters might not be able to tell the difference either. Last year 76 nannies were harvested and there were only 15 Female only tags issued. That means over 60 hunters either settled on a nanny or mistook a nanny for a billy.

LOL. Looking over that list of preference points required, it looks like even the nanny goat tag that I just applied for required 3 preference points.

If every single tag requires 3 preference points to qualify, why not just put a note in the application guide that all tag require 3 preference points to apply and save stupid people like me a few hours of looking at the drawing odds and harvest information! ;)

The min point spreadsheets for sheep, goat and moose are pretty much a junk piece of information. In fact for all the species that spreadsheet is pretty junky. IMO

A junk piece of information as in "it's not accurate". Or as in "you have to look back and forth a dozen times to check all the different hunt code options to see if there are any hunt codes that take less than 3 preference points"?

I'm not saying you could draw a NR nanny tag this year with less than 3 last year, but if you want closer results you have to beat up the Hunt Recap Summaries. That goes for all species.

LOL. Looking over that list of preference points required, it looks like even the nanny goat tag that I just applied for required 3 preference points.

If every single tag requires 3 preference points to qualify, why not just put a note in the application guide that all tag require 3 preference points to apply and save stupid people like me a few hours of looking at the drawing odds and harvest information! ;)

Yep, the nanny tag took at least 3 last year.

Those tags don't require by rule for applicants to have more than 3 points. They require 3 points by demand. That's why it doesn't say that you can't draw with with less than 3 points. It has happened in the past, for both nanny and either sex tags. But if there are more applicants with 3 or more points than tags available, then odds for people with less than 3 points is zero percent.

yup learned that the hard way last year...deer tag was 0 pt min...yea well that turned out to be 3 people...and I wasn't one of them

Don't just look at the previous years points. I would recommend that you look at the demand over the previous few years. Sometimes demaind will go up/down everyother year. One year the demand is low and people will jump in the following year because of the better odds. Then the next year people will shy away from the same unit because the quality doesn't match the demand.

BTW it is possible to draw a billy tag with only 2 points. I drew a G17 second season tag two years ago with only 2 Points (and had a fantastic hunt on a "poor quality" unit).

Yep, the nanny tag took at least 3 last year.

Those tags don't require by rule for applicants to have more than 3 points. They require 3 points by demand. That's why it doesn't say that you can't draw with with less than 3 points. It has happened in the past, for both nanny and either sex tags. But if there are more applicants with 3 or more points than tags available, then odds for people with less than 3 points is zero percent.

Okay, that's the part I was missing. Thanks.

Getting kind of worried, my check for my desert bighorn application cleared my bank on 4/3 but my mountain goat check still hasn't cleared the bank. I sent them both on the same day 3/29, so am really hoping the mail didn't screw me somehow.

Whew, was stressing about this. My check for my mountain goat app just cleared the bank today! That's a full week after my desert bighorn app and nearly two weeks after I sent my app in. I was really getting worried about getting credit for my preference point this year.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JMD
Back