2-Man Tent

trophy_killer

Does anyone know of any good tents that are lightweight for backpack hunting trips that are two man. They must be able to hold 2 guys and their gear. Also they must be able to hold up the weight of snow in case it were to dump a pretty decent amount of snow. Also it would need to have a floor so that we wouldn't be sleeping on just the ground. Thanks for the help.
smile.gif

Nope, don't know. I use a camper.
wink.gif
It holds up to the heavy snows and has a floor. It is also big enough to hold my gear. It rides on my truck so my truck packs it in for me.
tongue.gif

BTW, my truck is your dream truck.
smile.gif

TK,

Most two man tents are tight for two normal sized guys, Getting gear inside is tough. Look for one with a vestibule for the gear, and aluminum poles. Stay far away from the fiberglass poles if you intend to backpack.

When I hunt early season archery alone an 8x10 tarp works fine.

T Bone

T Bone, thanks for the help. I did plan on checking out one with a vestibule and one with aluminum poles. We aren't the biggest guys in the world, we are both about 5'9-5'10, do you think that is too big to be comfortable??

Elky, come on man. I'll even come out there to pick it up and I'll buy you and LB dinner.
smile.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-08-2003 21:35: Message edited by: trophy_killer ]</font>

Two man tents will fit exactly that, two people only, with no room left for gear. I would take a light plastic tarp to cover your geat. Any tent thats light enought to pack will be iffy in heavy snow/wind. One good one to check out is Cabalas Alaskan guide seires. They have several different sizes, with alum poles..but they ain't cheap. I have a friend who uses one (4-man size) and he says it stands up to two feet of snow and heavy wind on late season Utah cow hunts.

Check out backpacker.com for reviews of most anything backpacking related. I've always been told to subtract 1 person from the listing, ie a three person tent is good for two people. Check out the tipi style tents, light, and sturdy. The Kifaru web page 4-man ultralight is my dream tent, but the Black Diamond/Bibler tipi styles (Betamid and Megamid) are more affordable Bibler Tents The thing I really like about the Kifaru is that it is designed for hunters by hunters. I think the stove would be a great asset if you happened to get caught in a big snow storm.

Trophy, I own several, and you get what you pay for, and as for size I agree with above comments, but one exception I have found , go to Fred Myers and check out the Glaciers Edge brand of tents , I own two models and they are great, my two man will handle two good size men plus vestible will hold about one good backpack, aluminum poles, water proof and about 7 lbs, this tent has had over a foot of snow on it, but it's most comfy with just myself. check it out h2m
wink.gif

Ah hah TK!
Now we're talking MY language!
I used to work at a huge outdoor retailer, in the climbing department, and I am a total gearhead!

Before I bought my two-man tent I looked at hundreds, and tried and returned a few...

I finally settled on an REI Half Dome Plus II

692840.jpg

It has recieved the Backpacker Magazine Editors choice award for several years running now, and is THE BEST value in a two man tent going!
Though the Bibler tents mentioned above are THE BEST tents made in the world, but not a great value, with prices ranging in the $400 plus neighborhood.
And they (single wall mountaineering tents) are best suited for frozen environments, and get very wet inside if not (they, unless $Gore-Tex$, don't breath).

Look at where I live, if I don't put up with weather a lot... nobody does.
The rain fly is well waterproofed (tested), and adequately sized with two large vestibules which are more than enough room for packs and boots while still allowing ample access through it's large, double, D shaped doors... no more havin' your partner climb over you to go out in the night. It's coverage could be a little better at holding off huge snow loads at the bottom, but what tent couldn't?
Face facts
biggrin.gif
yer gonna have to get up and dig out sometimes... that's what down booties were invented for!
tongue.gif
(Rain-X keeps the snow from stickin' to your booties
wink.gif
spray it on with a mist bottle)

With the addition of a ground cloth the tent can be set up as a fly only, for ultralight camping, and then has more room to move around in and can sleep two, and a couple dogs (or three friendly people). Perfect if you "just might" get rained on.

It is a bright color, and has a clear plastic window, so long days stuck in it won't seem tooo gloomy, and you can sit up in it well as the tent walls are steep and allow two people to be quite comfortable (and your buddy can't even see your cards, when you're playin' cribbage).

After about 100 or more nights in mine you can tell I like it, but I hope you can also tell I have done my homework (and yours
wink.gif
lol) on it...

If you are a member of REI you'll get an additional 10% (or so) back from your purchase of the tent, making it (with groudcloth) around $163.00... I bought mine three years ago, and it cost$125.00 then, and they were doin' a deal where I got the groundcloth free!

I hope this helps,

Jeff
wave1.gif

P.S. We have this discussion about three or four times a year on the rockclimbing site... the last time around there was mention of the new REI Clipper ( approx. $185.00 w/ membership dividend)

693141.jpg

But I think the increase in cost is not worth it, for the loss of two doors and vestibule space for a little more room to sit.

Dang, my fingers are tired...

P.P.S. I forgot about REI's %100 satifaction guarantee... forever. And they mean it, and are really pretty good about stickin' to it... unless your flagrantly abusing the policy.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 02-13-2003 20:28: Message edited by: Krustyklimber ]</font>

Thanks again for the information Krusty. I really like that second tent. I really can't afford something in the $400 range. I would like to invest in a quality tent like that but I'm trying to save my money for a few other things at this point in time.

Back