Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

2 man crosscut saw

Kaitum

I've been looking at this crosscut saw in my garage for a few years since my dad gave it to me. I don't know the history of it other than it was up in my grandfather's barn since before I was around. Anyway, I cleaned it up with a brass wire wheel and some WD-40 yesterday. I can't find any markings on it. Any ideas on how to tell how old it might be?

Attachments

• 20210502_111322.jpg
    20210502_111322.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 111
  • 20210502_144156.jpg
    20210502_144156.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 112
I have a few, and i remember being on the end of them back in the early 70's as a little one. The one man chainsaw came out n the 60's but not very reliable and SUPER heavy, I have a few of those two. Cant help you with the age, but I bet it was used up till the early 70"s

Based on the cutters and rakers, it looks to me like utilizes the Champion tooth pattern.

From the US Forest Service, "Saws that Sing" -

Champion Tooth Pattern

This pattern is especially popular in the hardwood regions of North America. It consists of two cutter teeth set alternately and an unset raker with a gullet between them. The cutters are wider and more massive than the lance tooth pattern, allowing heavy sawing in extra hard, dry, or frozen wood. The larger teeth are sharpened in more of an almond shape rather than in the pointed shape of a lance tooth.

Because of the 2 hole design, I see that is a bucking saw. A Felling saw would be one hole. If you have a micrometer you can check the Kerf and width of the blade. Details in Video above...

I'm looking for handles for my Felling blade if you happen to find a good source

Last edited:
I carry one that's about 4' long in my pickup just have in case I have downfall across the road or something along those lines.

Any benefit to carrying that over say I don’t know maybe a chainsaw?
I was going to ask that...
Less space? Doesn’t ever need gas? Cool!
I've yet to find a tree laid across the road that I've needed more than a few mins of cutting max... If you're worried you could always keep a can of premixed fuel and some bar oil in the truck too!

Misery whip. We had a couple of them. 6 boys in the house, dad had us cutting 6 cords of firewood every year with them. I have chainsaws now! Hate it when the damn jug leaks fuel all over the back of my truck though

Last edited:
I was going to ask that...

I've yet to find a tree laid across the road that I've needed more than a few mins of cutting max... If you're worried you could always keep a can of premixed fuel and some bar oil in the truck too!
Tried to get home from a day hike with the kids two years ago and found 9 trees across the road (wasn't even windy on the hike), the largest was over 50" dbh. Thankfully, it was on a really steep slope and I was able to pull it out of the way with the truck. My biggest fear was that once the truck got it moving it wasn't going to stop and was going to take the truck with it. So I had everyone get out while I left my seatbelt off and gaver hell.

My wife & I averaged 100 trees a year keeping trails in the wilderness boundary clear for users until the NFS issued permits to an outfitter and a horse tour service for fat visitors. Haven't cut a tree since!! Let the permit holders clear the trails .... right, they just take those worthless horses around the blowdown.

1686271537583.jpeg1686271563358.jpeg

Tried to get home from a day hike with the kids two years ago and found 9 trees across the road (wasn't even windy on the hike), the largest was over 50" dbh. Thankfully, it was on a really steep slope and I was able to pull it out of the way with the truck. My biggest fear was that once the truck got it moving it wasn't going to stop and was going to take the truck with it. So I had everyone get out while I left my seatbelt off and gaver hell.
Mother nature does some weird stuff... That'd be a little spooky with that big of trees! a 50" tree sliding off a big slope would certainly have enough weight behind it to take the truck with it.

Do you throw a chainsaw in the truck now when you go on hikes?

We have a bunch of land that my family owns and I always bring a saw with because it never fails to have a tree dropped somewhere along the trails. Whether they're dead and fall over, or erode and uproot on a steeper slope. I've had times where I drive in, spend the day doing things, then drive out and just like in your case, there's a tree or two down on the road!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back