Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

$2,000 budget but need help proritizing equipment purchases

Andreww5001

I am looking at starting to build a solid backcountry hunting equipment arsenal. I'm the kind of guy who values quality stuff and will budget it in so that nothing fails in crunch time. I have about $2k to spend on equipment this year in preparation of my next trip. So I'd like advice on what should be my main priority.
I am an avid deer hunter so I have pretty quality gear but obviously the differences in hunting styles call for different spec items. So I'll list out some things I think I need to upgrade from what I've studied and out to the side, in parentheses, I will list what I currently have that I could make work. Feel free to suggest brands, prices, or items I may have overlooked:
1. More powerful binos - looking at the Vortex Kaibabs HD 15x56 - $1,499 (10x42 Bushnell Legends Ultra HD)
2. Higher power scope with turret adjustability for longer ranges - looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FF - $1,299 - (Leupold VX-2 3x9)
3. Better pack - looking at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf Hunting Backpack - $529 - (Cabelas Instinct Fast Tracker 63L Backpack)
4. Rifle with longer range capabilities - Looking at the Browning Hell's Canyon X-bolt McMillian 300 WSM - $1,200 - (Ruger M77 Mark II 7mm Rem Mag)

Things I don't have that could potentially be needed: spotting scope, extreme cold weather gear, walking sticks.

Any input would be helpful. I'm very torn as to which of these would be more valueable during a backpack hunt but I'm leaning binos and backpack.

If your rifle shoots accurately I would spend my money on binos first, pack second and spotting scope third. Unless you're willing to pack a good sturdy tripod for the binos I'd avoid anything over 10x. I know if you're taking a spotting scope you'll need a tripod too, but I've been able to get by with a lighter weight one for my spotter that I don't think would work well with the binos. A good comfortable pack will let you go farther and haul loads better.

If you're not happy with your rifle then I would start there, binos, pack. I put the binos fairly high because if you use them all day a good pair will help you spot more game while making it easier on the eyes.

I do plan on accompanying this powerful of a bino with a solid tripod. As far as the rifle goes, the last elk I shot with it was at 264 yards and hit the mark and the bull walked one step and fell over. I probably need to spend more time with it to really gauge it's effective accuracy range in all honesty though.

Personally, I think you'd regret getting such high magnification binos...better glass will make a world of difference and 10x42 is a good all around setup. Your pack choice is good, consider any of the popular brands and you'd be safe. Yes this would be the things I spent money on first assuming I had a good pair of boots.

I think I'd pick a lighter rifle with a modest scope as the one you're looking at weighs 7.75lbs plus scope you're looking at close to 9lbs. A Kimber Montana with a Leupold VX6 will be 1.5lbs lighter and about $500 cheaper.

I have Leki Corklite trekking poles...1 thing you want is snaplock not twist lock adjustment.

Last edited:
1. Stick with 10x42s, upgrade in quality.
2. You could probably save some money and get a leupold vx3i with CDS or an M1 and it'd do just about everything that Vortex would for a lot less money.
3. Good choice
4. Not much to gain in a 300 WSM over a 7mag if you can shoot 168 or 175s. If your rifle is accurate, it has all the energy you need. There are some folks around here that dropping elk at range with a 7-08.

1. Stick with 10x42s, upgrade in quality.
2. You could probably save some money and get a leupold vx3i with CDS or an M1 and it'd do just about everything that Vortex would for a lot less money.
3. Good choice
4. Not much to gain in a 300 WSM over a 7mag if you can shoot 168 or 175s. If your rifle is accurate, it has all the energy you need. There are some folks around here that dropping elk at range with a 7-08.

I agree with all of these.

Suggest the Meopta Meopro HD binoculars (aka Cabelas Euro Instict HD) in 10x42.
Dad bought a VX-3i 4.5-14x40 this past fall for our antelope hunt, and its quality far surpassed the price paid. I was impressed, even when comparing to my Zeiss Conquest. Get it with the WindPlex reticle and the CDS dial, about $430 on eBay.
If your current rifle shoots well, I might recommend swapping stocks if you currently use the plain black synthetic one. I'd say you could bed it too, but those Rugers can be a challenge to bed correctly. I'd say that almost any premium bullet, even into 150gr territory, will do the job easily.

Walking sticks are useful, or a lightweight bipod that you could use as a walking stick.
A spotting scope is probably a "must" and is where I would put the $ you didn't spend with the items above.

You don't need anything past 10x for the bino or scope. The adjustable turret is fine, as long as you learn to use it and make sure that it tracks correctly and returns to zero. Either rifle will do fine and shoot it to the farthest range you figure on needing. There is nothing wrong with the Cabela's pack, either.

The bottom line is that it is your money to spend and there are tons of options.

I agree with others, no need to go above 10x in binos. If anything you may want to upgrade in bino quality but it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd first sink some coin into a decent spotting scope. I also agree that a Leupold vx3i w/CDS is a pretty good buy as far as scopes go and could save you some money over the Vortex. As far as your rifle goes... a 7mm mag is going to shoot as far as you can physically manage and will kill elk at any reasonable range. A 300WSM isn't going to do anything your 7mm won't do for elk. My concern with your rifle would be weight. I don't know exactly what rifle you have but from what I've seen Rugers are generally heavy rifles. I would do anything you could to lighten your current rifle or if you plan to buy a new one weight would be my concern. I can't speak to the pack but I would want a good one.

I have taken over 40 elk over these many years as a backpack hunter.

The most important piece of elk hunting gear I own is good boots.

The second most important piece of gear is my binoculars. Big binoculars and tripods are great for use in pre season scouting but nearly useless during the hunt. Excellent 10X Meopta or Zeiss are available for around $1,000. Personally I use Swarovski binoculars.

You will need a good pack and a very good sleeping bag.

A light and reliable rifle scope makes sense to me. A big heavy scope with the turrets sticking out does not.

A mid-weight rifle has always worked the best for me. It is tough shooting a light rifle at higher altitudes under stress. I tried a Forbes and found it to be too light for me to shoot well under those conditions.

I am looking at starting to build a solid backcountry hunting equipment arsenal. I'm the kind of guy who values quality stuff and will budget it in so that nothing fails in crunch time. I have about $2k to spend on equipment this year in preparation of my next trip. So I'd like advice on what should be my main priority.
I am an avid deer hunter so I have pretty quality gear but obviously the differences in hunting styles call for different spec items. So I'll list out some things I think I need to upgrade from what I've studied and out to the side, in parentheses, I will list what I currently have that I could make work. Feel free to suggest brands, prices, or items I may have overlooked:
1. More powerful binos - looking at the Vortex Kaibabs HD 15x56 - $1,499 (10x42 Bushnell Legends Ultra HD)
2. Higher power scope with turret adjustability for longer ranges - looking at the Vortex Viper PST Gen II 3-15x44 FF - $1,299 - (Leupold VX-2 3x9)
3. Better pack - looking at the Mystery Ranch Metcalf Hunting Backpack - $529 - (Cabelas Instinct Fast Tracker 63L Backpack)
4. Rifle with longer range capabilities - Looking at the Browning Hell's Canyon X-bolt McMillian 300 WSM - $1,200 - (Ruger M77 Mark II 7mm Rem Mag)

Things I don't have that could potentially be needed: spotting scope, extreme cold weather gear, walking sticks.

Any input would be helpful. I'm very torn as to which of these would be more valueable during a backpack hunt but I'm leaning binos and backpack.
1. I would not give up the 10X for 15X as my sole bino. In addition to yes, but not as a replacement. I'd go with a spotter before the 15X.
2. For that price I'd be more inclined to get something else. A Nightforce SHV 4-14x50 F1 or a Bushnell LRHS would be at the top of the list to look at for that price.
3. Solid choice! If you plan on week long backpacking trips I'd want more room, but I've heard nothing but good things about this pack.
4. It could be easily argued that the 7mm Rem Mag is a better long range option than the 300WSM. If you are mostly happy with the rifle, I'd spend the money to customize it to make you even happier. Swap out for a better stock. If you don't handload, get the gear for that and start. That alone with open up a LOT of options.

In your shoes I do the backpack first! Depending on how far you want to shoot, but for ~$100 you could have a CDS turret put on your Leupold and with a 7 Rem Mag that will get you out there a LONG way.

Send the VX-2 to Leupold to be retrofitted with CDS. Keep the rest of your gear, it's more than adequate. With the money saved, buy a spotter. mtmuley

You forgot the most important item....BOOTS!

1.Boots. None of the other gear matters if your feet are to torn up to get where you need to go. And don't think more $$$ means better boots. I've tried a couple brands of the "high end" boots and always end up back where I started. Couldn't stand the stiffness of the expensive boots.
2.Pack. Kinda of like boots but for your back.
3.Binos. I'd personally be looking for a used pair of 10x42 EL's.

I don't see any mention of a good range finder.

I'll never talk someone out of buying a new rifle, but you certainly don't NEED a new rifle. I personally think you'd be taking a big step back going from a 7mag to a 300wsm.

i am with most of the guys here. go with a high quality 10x42. i had the vortex viper 15x50 and i sold them this year as they are impossible to glass with unless they are on a tripod.

Send the VX-2 to Leupold to be retrofitted with CDS. Keep the rest of your gear, it's more than adequate. With the money saved, buy a spotter. mtmuley

I was thinking about doing this myself to the same scope. Any idea on the cost?

You forgot the most important item....BOOTS!

1.Boots. None of the other gear matters if your feet are to torn up to get where you need to go. And don't think more $$$ means better boots. I've tried a couple brands of the "high end" boots and always end up back where I started. Couldn't stand the stiffness of the expensive boots.
2.Pack. Kinda of like boots but for your back.
3.Binos. I'd personally be looking for a used pair of 10x42 EL's.

I don't see any mention of a good range finder.

I'll never talk someone out of buying a new rifle, but you certainly don't NEED a new rifle. I personally think you'd be taking a big step back going from a 7mag to a 300wsm.

Boots were not factored in because I had already planned on upgrading in that area but a suggestion on where to start looking would be hugely helpful.

And honestly, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. It seems that I had close to the right idea but was off by just a little. I'll focus more on the weight and performance of my rifle/scope set-up, look into the best 10x42's I can find, buy a solid spotting scope, and get the metcalf bag.
Thanks for talking me into spending even more money guys! ;-)

Like others have said, you didn't mention your boots. I'd place those as top priority if you don't already have some good ones.

How are you for camp equipment? Getting a good night's rest with a good tent, sleeping pad, bag, stove for hot meals, etc. makes more of a difference for me than what type of clothing or riflescope I have.

I'd up grade to the 3i also, on that note check out Schmalts on this site he has Predator optics and great prices. 10x42's check out the Vortex's Talons very nice and around $400+. Then a pack depending on day use to multi day look at the KUIU 3200 icon pro, these packs the frame is fits All there packs so you just change bags. I have the icon pro 3200 easily takes a quarter of elk, half a deer, I know it because I did it twice last year. The 3200 is about $430-50. Spotter I use a vortex 11/33/50 light to pack. Boots get you where you wanna go, Quality Quality, I use Kenetrek mountain extreme 400's around $500 or slightly over.

Good luck

Last edited:
Boots were not factored in because I had already planned on upgrading in that area but a suggestion on where to start looking would be hugely helpful.

And honestly, I really appreciate all of the suggestions. It seems that I had close to the right idea but was off by just a little. I'll focus more on the weight and performance of my rifle/scope set-up, look into the best 10x42's I can find, buy a solid spotting scope, and get the metcalf bag.
Thanks for talking me into spending even more money guys! ;-)

Don't be afraid to find used equipment. Used Swaros can be found for way less than new. Same with Packs.

I've personally tried kenetrek and crispi boots. Couldnt stand either one of them. Way to stiff for me. I keep going back to Under Armour boots. They are cheap in comparison to some. I get a new pair every year but they are the most comfortable boots i can find. I've backed out loads upwards of 13hrs and 120+lbs and never wished i had better boots.

Try on lots of boots and find the ones that work for you.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back