MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

1st timer!

zunielk87020

If i draw out this year for elk, it wil be my 1st time bow hunting. I need some advice on what to expect and how not to get the fever if its possible!! :confused:

Just stay out of the cookie jar the night before hump Dream about the hunt the next morning. Get up early, and the rest will fall into place.

I don't know what to tell you Zuni

It is hard to tell you what it takes not to get the fever and since this is your first time bow hunting, it will be even worse because you will have to be inside of their comfort zone and you may have a hog of an elk standing right there... Each person is affected differently...

One thing in my experience, most of the problems arise from not breathing, this creates buck feaver, make sure you your taking deep breaths and treat it as if it were just a target.

It should help, plus you will have all the time in the world to break down like a little girl after the shows over, and all the time in the world to kick yourself if you get over excited and lose your opertunities... :)

Z,
What I have found is when you are working a bull,or elk as that matter.I always take a few seaconds to close my eyes,some deap breaths and picture what about to happen and concentrate on that.
Picture where you arrow will go,the shot angle,and when he comes in,draw,center the pin and release.
BBJ

Nonsense. When a honker of a bull is screaming and chuckling at 32 yards, I find it most helpful to shit myself. Then, slam the blow to full draw and yank the release. Watch arrow sail over back of bull. Take off boots and pants, go to nearest creek and wash off poo. go back to camp put on new undies and try again.

I like calling during the early rut. The big fellas aren't as vocal, but they're more likely to investigate. During the late rut, the big guys are screaming all day long, but typically won't leave the cows.

Zuni.... Take T-bones advice, I've been in camp with him when he had to change his Shorts 3-4 times a Day. Every hunt was worth it.

So give us some details ?!?!? Were you putting in ? what are the Odds drawing, Why haven't you drawn before ?

I've been MIA recently so I might have missed all those answers posted somewere else ?

On the fever.... Let it ride. It can Consume you from now until after opening day. One word of caution though. I've seen guys have Hard on's all year long and After opening day they get burnt out. Remember there is a Long season. (Even a Short season is long if you make the most of it.)

Good luck !!!!!! Keep us informed !!

t-bone...ilmao...that was about right the first time for me...i was shaking so bad. i was lucky to even draw my bow.. the shot ? i have no idea where it went, i relesed it into the sky and trees? that was before i knew that releses had a safety!

Good stuff T-bone, just making an appearance after hearing about the site over on MM. What's up ya'll.

Welcome to Hunttalk...
We are very glad to have you here MtTines...

That stand for Montana Tines..

Mountain Tines...

Or

Mountains...

:)

Zuni,
and take a vid cam for the ones out of range during bow season!
You can put it away when they get to 100 or 70 yards

Close to a bugling bull with a bow is the bomb!
Very addictive

ENJOY and dont forget to tell us about it!

And TBONE,
LMAO
Always remember to pick your boots back up before heading back to change drawers

MtTines said:
Good stuff T-bone, just making an appearance after hearing about the site over on MM. What's up ya'll.

mm.com ? HUmmmm..,. I think I might have been to that site once.... ? OHHH yah, thats the Place that guys that like to cash on "REAL" hunters post at. Thats the place that the Owner never makes a post unles he needs something. Thats the place that they talk about Turtle hunting (OK, that was Fuggin Funny, I don't care who you are).. OHH, and thats the Place that Can't handle me hump :evilgrin:

MTtines, Welcome to the Dark side :)

Zun did you draw that elk tag??? If you did my advice is once you fine the BIG one stay with him I mean eat when he eat, sleep when sleep if not making a stock, stay with that bull, Myself I have followed bulls for up to 10 day & nights. Good BULLS are hard to find. If you lose him keep your ears open elk are very vocal. When I go out I do NOT plan to come back to camp, not to many elk come to camp.

Study maps and have them with you. Have a few spots in mind in case one sucks. Be mobile, if you dont hear bugles where you are sleeping you are not in the right spot. Get in shape....

Bowedark said:
my advice is once you fine the BIG one stay with him I mean eat when he eat, sleep when sleep if not making a stock, stay with that bull, .
Gee, what do you do when he is breeding a cow? hump

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmarshall173
Back