1st Rifle Elk Colorado question

Hello, I drew a 1st rifle elk tag Colorado for this year. This will be my first elk hunt and my second western hunt. After my first western hunt bowhunting mule deer in New Mexico, I can see how hard this western hunting stuff can be, so I'm not going to be picky on this elk hunt. Also, I heard 1st rifle is hard because the bulls go into hiding to recover from the rut and hide from predators. For those reasons, I will go after any legal elk I see. That being said, I wanted to know if it is a viable strategy to look for herds of cow elk like I'm hunting cow elk in hopes that there is a young legal bull among the herd of cows? Is this a good idea or is it uncommon for a legal bull, even if it's young, to be among a herd of cows? My tag is for bulls only. My hunting partner has problems with their knee to the point they have trouble walking if they work the knee too hard, so I'm trying to form a hunt plan that isnt super strenuous for them. Any advice or help is appreciated. I do not have much info to give in return as I have only been hunting for a couple years now, but I promise I will make a thread about this hunt after it happens.
How did the hunt go?

How did the hunt go?
It was a learning experience to say the least. Not much of a story to tell about it but we got there 2 days before opening day to scout. We were not used to the steep and rocky roads in the National Forest, and we didnt want to risk it in the vehicle we were in. So, we did not go super far into the unit where everybody else was going. We got some advice about where to go from a rancher, but we physically could not get to where he was talking about because of my partners limitations. We ended up not seeing any elk for the whole trip. We drove to several different areas accessible from the roads through out the hunt and tried to find elk sign but apart from some droppings, never found good sign or saw/heard an elk. I think the elk were still up at higher elevations as it was getting into the 60's and 70's during the day. However, both of us could not get to those elevations together. It was cool to see all that country though. That area is a neat area. I do not necessarily think unit 54 is a bad unit for elk, I just think I'm a bad hunter and do not know how to hunt elk, haha. At some point I'm going to come back and hunt this unit solo. I want to backpack and have the freedom to go in as far/high as I need to to find elk.

It was a learning experience to say the least. Not much of a story to tell about it but we got there 2 days before opening day to scout. We were not used to the steep and rocky roads in the National Forest, and we didnt want to risk it in the vehicle we were in. So, we did not go super far into the unit where everybody else was going. We got some advice about where to go from a rancher, but we physically could not get to where he was talking about because of my partners limitations. We ended up not seeing any elk for the whole trip. We drove to several different areas accessible from the roads through out the hunt and tried to find elk sign but apart from some droppings, never found good sign or saw/heard an elk. I think the elk were still up at higher elevations as it was getting into the 60's and 70's during the day. However, both of us could not get to those elevations together. It was cool to see all that country though. That area is a neat area. I do not necessarily think unit 54 is a bad unit for elk, I just think I'm a bad hunter and do not know how to hunt elk, haha. At some point I'm going to come back and hunt this unit solo. I want to backpack and have the freedom to go in as far/high as I need to to find elk.
Thanks for the reply. As I get older, every single hunting trip becomes more about the trip itself instead of the kill. Now that my son is old enough to carry, I find myself carrying the camera on most of the occasions. Make sure and fill me in on your next outing and good luck!

2022 was not a typical year, especially 1st Season. Almost no-one I know connected, none of the herds were in their usual spots. I finally found some above treeline on the last day, got my stepson into a shooting position, but he rushed and missed - still a great day. I wonder if this may become a new pattern with warmer and wetter summers.

Hello, I drew a 1st rifle elk tag Colorado for this year. This will be my first elk hunt and my second western hunt. After my first western hunt bowhunting mule deer in New Mexico, I can see how hard this western hunting stuff can be, so I'm not going to be picky on this elk hunt. Also, I heard 1st rifle is hard because the bulls go into hiding to recover from the rut and hide from predators. For those reasons, I will go after any legal elk I see. That being said, I wanted to know if it is a viable strategy to look for herds of cow elk like I'm hunting cow elk in hopes that there is a young legal bull among the herd of cows? Is this a good idea or is it uncommon for a legal bull, even if it's young, to be among a herd of cows? My tag is for bulls only. My hunting partner has problems with their knee to the point they have trouble walking if they work the knee too hard, so I'm trying to form a hunt plan that isnt super strenuous for them. Any advice or help is appreciated. I do not have much info to give in return as I have only been hunting for a couple years now, but I promise I will make a thread about this hunt after it happens.
As for your comment about the Bull Elk rut, and them going into seclusion, I have my own thoughts on the timing or duration of the Elk rut. Here in Southern Colorado, I hear Bulls bugling in mid October when the 1st rifle season's on. They may shut up, due to knowing hunters are out and about, but I hear them in the dark, and then during the day, I think they still give out soft chuckles and subtle short bugles that are much lower in volume. So, some may say they're in a second rut when the Cows that weren't bred in round one cycle again? Anyway, I tend to think the September rut is overblown to some degree

At least in my area of the SW, 1st rifle varies from year to year by a few days to a week. I've shot the lead bull out of the herd opening light bugling his brains out and other years the lead is gone and the herd is slightly breaking up post-rut with bachelor bulls grouping . You just have to scout close to season opening and determine what is going on in the area you are hunting.

Definitely a good strategy if you are looking for any legal bull. But I will say there have been many times I have still seen herd bulls screaming and chasing cows during first rifle season. It all depends on weather and pressure they get during archery and muzzy season. But still, find the cows and you will be in a good position.

Sorry to hear about you not seeing any elk. We have all had hunts we wish we hadn’t had. You keep putting in the effort things will go your way! Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
believeinyourself
Back